(Concerning cell phones) Is it rude.... | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

(Concerning cell phones) Is it rude....

That professor was probably being sarcastic! LOL

It's rude. Any form of not giving someone who is speaking to you attention is rude.

And just to go on a lil rant here: I hate it when people talk on their cellphones in public.
It's like people who pick their noses while driving: No, you are not in a protective bubble and you can be seen/heard!

I had to work with someone last week who spent nearly the entire 8 1/2 hour shift on her cellphone talking about her sex life OR the love lives of all her favorite rap stars.
I wanted to slam pencils into my ears until I was deaf.

Reactions: Saru Inc
No the OP. Thought he was referring to a class.
Was too lazy to read/quote.

No prob, I thought so. I agree though, It sounded to me like the lecturer was being sarcastic, too. Some speakers see it as a joking way to break the ice or flatter the crowd or something.

One positive note:

you don't have to listen to some shit-for-brains while they are busy texting.

That professor was probably being sarcastic! LOL

It's rude. Any form of not giving someone who is speaking to you attention is rude.

And just to go on a lil rant here: I hate it when people talk on their cellphones in public.
It's like people who pick their noses while driving: No, you are not in a protective bubble and you can be seen/heard!

I had to work with someone last week who spent nearly the entire 8 1/2 hour shift on her cellphone talking about her sex life OR the love lives of all her favorite rap stars.
I wanted to slam pencils into my ears until I was deaf.

No he made it clear that we should be on the FB and Twitter. It was not sarcasm.

Why do you say that?

Its generally unprofessional for a speaker to say things like that because it makes a dig at the audience, since he assumed they would be acting that way, and pointing out their behavior, especially when its unusual in his opinion, is bad. It automatically makes people feel turned off, creates a type of 'we're different' barrier, and sometimes offends people. That, and it can make the audience wonder how boring he must be if his crowds wind up on facebook. Its basically insulting himself which craps on his own credibility. All of which completely distract from whatever he was talking about and can change the audience's opinion of his topic based on disliking him because they may have found him a turn off or offensive for those reasons. I'm sure it wouldn't bother some people, but if I had been there I would have been very turned off by it and irritated that I'd have to sit through the public speaking of someone that was so green at it.

Its generally unprofessional for a speaker to say things like that because it makes a dig at the audience, since he assumed they would be acting that way, and pointing out their behavior, especially when its unusual in his opinion, is bad. It automatically makes people feel turned off, creates a type of 'we're different' barrier, and sometimes offends people. That, and it can make the audience wonder how boring he must be if his crowds wind up on facebook. Its basically insulting himself which craps on his own credibility. All of which completely distract from whatever he was talking about and can change the audience's opinion of his topic based on disliking him because they may have found him a turn off or offensive for those reasons. I'm sure it wouldn't bother some people, but if I had been there I would have been very turned off by it and irritated that I'd have to sit through the public speaking of someone that was so green at it.

Hm. It had the opposite effect for me and all the people I was sitting by.

Hm. It had the opposite effect for me and all the people I was sitting by.

So, if it wasn't sarcasm, might it have been a clever way to use reverse psychology minus the snark?

Otherwise, did he expound on his rationale any?

Yeah, I'm used to speakers making overgeneralized statements like that, so I just remind myself that they don't know a single thing about me. I don't even have a cell phone, which is shocking to most (oh brother). The whole 'texting ethics' debate is one of the many reasons I'm glad I don't! Just one less thing to worry about. I do find that many people are becoming overly reliant on cellphones these days, though.

So, if it wasn't sarcasm, might it have been a clever way to use reverse psychology minus the snark?

Otherwise, did he expound on his rationale any?

Yeah I'm not sure who told me but this is supposedly the Year of Social Networking or something similar. So there is a lot of talk about networking, etc., through social media sites. Also I think it was a ruse to get us to advertise for SHRM by posting that we are at the conference through Twitter. But also I think he was trying to shape society in a way where it is more acceptable to text and sit in a seminar. Really 5 sec. of texting during a seminar is not a big deal.

yeahp :) it's rude :)

Ruh ooowww dddddd

In most cases. Sometimes it's not, hang on a second this is important text, I was talking to so and so, I'll keep it short.

It's rude. Someone is trying to communicate with you and by texting or doing something else, you are reducing the quality of the communication. It's like a slap in the face.

... to text and whatnot on your cell phone while someone else is talking to you? How about in class?

Of course it is. I believe you know this.

I was at the SHRM Regional Conference a few weeks ago and the speaker thought it was necessary for us to be using Twitter and FB (and that it was bizarre that we weren't!) while he was talking and asked why we were focusing on him only.

Discuss.

Perhaps he isn't confident in his knowledge and would rather just go through the motions. Wants everyone to be distracted so he isn't found out.

I generally don't care to be honest. Then again, if I receive a text from someone, regardless of the situation, I try to check to see what it was. If it's important, I reply, but if not, I'll leave it for sometime later.

Also, I play games on my phone during math class because the lecture/material is boring. But isn't that cheating me out of an education? According to my grades, I wouldn't say so. It doesn't disturb anyone since it doesn't make any noise and my phone is a touch screen. Plus, no one sits around me, and my prof hasn't noticed, so I think it's a safe guilty pleasure in which to indulge.