Common Sense (and personality type) | INFJ Forum

Common Sense (and personality type)

Does the natural ability or the level of common sense relate to personality type?

• No, personality type and common sense are not correlated, you just have to learn it

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • No, they are not correlated, some have it, others don't though (not much at least)

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Yes, it relates and has to do with MBTI letter/preference dichotomies and cognitive functions

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • I'm not sure if it relates but im an INF_ and have little common sense as well

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • I'm not sure if it relates but im an INF_ and have a fair amount of common sense

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • I don't know if it relates, I'm another type and don't really have that much common sense

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

rawr

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 17, 2010
Earth
MBTI
IxTP
Enneagram
human
Does common sense (or common, everyday logic) have anything to do with personality type or cognitive functions. do INFJs suck at it more than some other types (i sure do, very frustrating).
Your thoughts?

I tend to lack a lot of practical knowledge, I often find myself unable to do the most ''simple tasks'' and often end up messing up, I also tend to lack a lot of logic, such process frustrates me and can really stress me out, I believe as intuitives this is one of our curses, we tend to overlook this details in life which seem pretty obvious yet we are not able to perform them and in the end it can really hurt us if we don't learn how to develop such common sense.

I would say there is a slight corralation, but not much. NF's will tend to have the lowest level of practial common sense, NT's will tend to have the lowest level of social common sense, SP's will tend to have the lowest level of implied common sense, and SJ's tend to have good common sense across the board.

Common sense really has the strongest corralation with inteligence, and not nesscarrarly IQ.

ST's have the most common sense, in my experience. They're probably the most practical.

Does common sense (or common, everyday logic) have anything to do with personality type or cognitive functions. do INFJs suck at it more than some other types (i sure do, very frustrating).
Your thoughts?

I also have difficulty with taking the simplest route to an answer. I think on shit too much sometimes. I suppose I should simply focus more and not laze around in my head dreaming all the time.

I tell you what, though...although I know I can have issues with this I absolutely *hate* to be called out on it. I hate to be thought of as "ditsy" with no common sense. I don't get folks who don't use their common sense, either. But then, I often think of common sense as doing the most logical or smartest thing to do.

Cpmmon Sense (and personality type)

I tell you what, though...although I know I can have issues with this I absolutely *hate* to be called out on it. I hate to be thought of as "ditsy" with no common sense. I don't get folks who don't use their common sense, either. But then, I often think of common sense as doing the most logical or smartest thing to do.

You have more common sense than almost anyone I know and it comes across loud and clear on these forums. So there.

You have more common sense than almost anyone I know and it comes across loud and clear on these forums. So there.

Amen! You are a voice of reason more often that most here Arby. And for the record, I think INFJ's have their fair share of common sense. We can be dreamers of course, but I think the Ni and the Ne are what keeps us in touch with what is really important--where our common sense comes from. The Fe and Fi are what make us dreamy I feel. Wise is where it's at! That is where intuition comes into play.

What those last two said. :D

We can be dreamers of course, but I think the Ni and the Ne are what keeps us in touch with what is really important--where our common sense comes from. The Fe and Fi are what make us dreamy I feel. Wise is where it's at! That is where intuition comes into play.

You know, you are right. I have tendency to becom irrational and illogical mostly in combination of two elements:
1) I am in bad mood, I am exhousted, I am tired etc. (You get the point:)
2) I am lost in other - example, strong love for someone.

And it is true, when I feel good in my skin (and this is usually followed by being very Ni), I could be very reasonable and calm.

It doesn't correlate, because there is no common sense. The common sense of 2 million years ago was different from today's. INFJs tend to be ahead of their time; this isn't something to regret.

It doesn't correlate, because there is no common sense. The common sense of 2 million years ago was different from today's. INFJs tend to be ahead of their time; this isn't something to regret.

not so sure on that one....

I think I agree with enfp. I think of common sense as the immediate, short term solution to an immediate problem. I think it's often important to balance between common sense and a more long term, big picture, system-wide solution, like for societal problems.

I learned common sense - it wasn't natural. :p

Yeah, we take it for granted that "common sense" is natural and logical. And it's often not. It is contextual, culturally situated, relative, etc. It is learned beliefs, and changes as society evolves. As Enfp Can be Shy said, it changes with history. What's common sense in one part of the world is not common sense in another. And what is common sense in a particular region in the past, is not common sense in the same region today.

Last edited:
I have no common sense, that is why people like me. :D

Reactions: Gaze
I am curious if good, or productive, sense is actually common?

The only thing that gives me a vague common sense is Ni. It's very helpful :)

Otherwise, I'd be sitting in a corner thinking 'Why am I cold?' without noticing the heatings gone off. Oh wait, I do that anyway.

I guess Ni's best for social sense?