Can INFJ's be disorganized? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Can INFJ's be disorganized?

I'm very messy, but only with surfaces. I keep (horde) too many books, so they're EVERYWHERE in my house, on tables, on my desk, piling up behind my bedroom door. It's not good >_<
Though, I have an organised style of disorganisation, I tend to pile things, so they don't spread too far :)

Hmm. I'm really organized, because my own sanity depends on it.

The only time my house and work suffered was when I went through a depressive spell; then I couldn't be bothered to spend any precious energy freaking out over... anything, really. But the more messy my apartment was, and the more things that were left undone made me even more depressed and discouraged. I need to have physical order and neatness; any sort of mess has a strong negative influence over my emotional state and my capacity for productivity.

Hmm. I'm really organized, because my own sanity depends on it.

The only time my house and work suffered was when I went through a depressive spell; then I couldn't be bothered to spend any precious energy freaking out over... anything, really. But the more messy my apartment was, and the more things that were left undone made me even more depressed and discouraged. I need to have physical order and neatness; any sort of mess has a strong negative influence over my emotional state and my capacity for productivity.

I find I have the same thing. I can tell I'm starting to spiral down when my house becomes gross... especially the dishes. Ew.

Judging/perceiving is more a matter of self-organization than physical organization. Because our first function is a perceiving function (Ni), we tend to be a bit more disorganized than other J types, especially because it's internally based. Our J comes from Fe, which is more concerned with organizing relationships and emotions than external, physical organization.

In other words, we organize our minds and our relationships and our beliefs more than our desks ;)

Well said. That was what I was about to put into words, it's exactly how I am. My mind and relationships are organized. My desk, not as much. Although I have to admite my house would be more organized/clean if I had my way (or maybe a smaller family)!

I've read that we are consistently disorganized if we are disorganized. So it appears disorderly to other but orderly to ourselves.

I have trouble dealing with clutter or a lot of things around me. I feel overwhelmed by it. I can't remember where I put things or what I might need to do with mail, etc if it's not organized. I'm not perfectly neat, I usually have piles of stuff on my desk and around at home, but it is somewhat organized, and I'm happier when I have time to clean it up. I'm almost an INXX. Maybe my need to be organized is my J-ness, I dunno.

I'm not going to lie, personally, I can only be disorganized for some time. If I'm working, there has to be some sort of form of organization, or at least openness. I can't stand clutter in my workspace. It's okay if the clutter is across the room out of my way, though :D

I'm not obsessive/compulsively neat but I don't like being messy and disorganized either.
I would like there to be some sort of order in and around my house because clutter is a big inconvenience. However the state of my room on some days is another story; I like to call that 'organized chaos' :p

I have trouble dealing with clutter or a lot of things around me. I feel overwhelmed by it. I can't remember where I put things or what I might need to do with mail, etc if it's not organized. I'm not perfectly neat, I usually have piles of stuff on my desk and around at home, but it is somewhat organized, and I'm happier when I have time to clean it up. I'm almost an INXX. Maybe my need to be organized is my J-ness, I dunno.

This is how I feel too. Clutter makes me uneasy - clutterphobic, so much so that if I need to get work done, I'll clean up first.

Same goes for baking, which I love to do - I need a pristine kitchen to really enjoy it. I'll easily feel agitated if I have to work in a messy/piled up/dirty kitchen.

I used to be rather anal when I was a kid and all the way until I was in uni. People/roommates used to remark at how clean I was, followed by some sort of "yeah, but I like my space to feel lived in". I've eased up since then, for different reasons, all good.

Still, I derive a lot of enjoyment from beautiful spaces, and having a mess interferes with that. And if the environment isn't beautiful, the mess can downright depress me if I have to spend time in it.