Being emotional in public | INFJ Forum

Being emotional in public

Jana

Searching...
Apr 18, 2009
MBTI
infj
Are you? do you feel comfortable?
I mean really emotional, crying, kissing, hugging people...I can't nothing from that. I hardly have need for that (maybe in really really special ocasions).

I dont worry about what other people think in general.. the only emotions I "hide" are when I am watching a really sad movie and the tears start welling up. ill play that off usually.

Never. people getting emotional in public disgust me.

The times I have felt emotional in public, no one has ever noticed, so I think I hide it well in those instances it occurs. I try to avoid such things.

I don't like being in public in general.

J/K. I used to be deathly fearful of any sort of communication with others out in public. Whenever I take my neice and nephews to the store all of those inhibitions quickly fade. A wonderful, and quick, lesson in humiliation. :D

It's pretty damn hard for me to be emotional in public. If I am forced to be because of social context or something, it feels terribly akward, forced, and just unnatural.

I mean really emotional, crying, kissing, hugging people...I can't nothing from that. I hardly have need for that (maybe in really really special ocasions).

Automatically i become emotionally balanced in public.

No, I'm not comfortable with public displays of affection, unless I'm in a particularly enlightened mood (or merry drunk), but even then, I'd need to know and trust the person really well to feel comfortable about it, and it still might be slightly awkward. If someone needed a hug or some other kind of touch in public from me, I would do my best to give it, but it wouldn't come naturally. I love the idea of "free hugs", and I'd love to do it, but i'm just too ashamed/afraid of the potential embarassment. It's the kind of thing I would do just to prove that I could do it.

In private, with dear ones, is another matter. I'm very warm and affectionate, within the sanctuary of home. I suppose that's why I'm quite huggy on here - it feels like an extension of home. :hug:

Last edited:
In public? Heck, I don't like being emotional private.

Heh, I am gonna have to agree with this as well.

Emotions are largely a pain in a butt with little to no use (at least the negative ones).

Yeah, I am pretty much a NT wannabe.

The times I have felt emotional in public, no one has ever noticed, so I think I hide it well in those instances it occurs. I try to avoid such things.
Seconded. I can't bear to show my emotions in public, so do my best to hide them from people, and it works most of the time, though sometimes, there will be people who are adept at reading even hidden emotions in other people and they will notice.

I hate it when I get emotional in public. It hasn't happened a lot, but when it does it's insane. I don't like PDA either unless it's with my husband. When I'm with him I can forget I'm in public for a little while. Awww. /vomit

Heh, I am gonna have to agree with this as well.

Emotions are largely a pain in a butt with little to no use (at least the negative ones).

Yeah, I am pretty much a NT wannabe.

Careful there, its one thing to admire NTs its another though to try to enact what they do. I was going that route for a while and I destroyed close to every relationship I had with the people I actually cared about and was living a total lie, telling myself, its ok I dont feel anything.

I would think any NT is perfectly capable of being amiable to others, if it makes sense.

I don't think it is a prerequisite of an NT to be negative to people, why would they? What is the point of being negative if all it does is bring negativity back to you? It makes sense to be part of a social community, to have friends and family to assist when you can't help yourself.

It's hard for me to be emotional in public. Like Indy said, it usually looks forced unless, like Elf said, I'm drunk.

A quick hug or peck is about all I'm comfortable with.

I would think any NT is perfectly capable of being amiable to others, if it makes sense.

I don't think it is a prerequisite of an NT to be negative to people, why would they? What is the point of being negative if all it does is bring negativity back to you? It makes sense to be part of a social community, to have friends and family to assist when you can't help yourself.
^But NTs don't make sense. The rational types are ST, imho. Thinking that makes Sense. (j/k)

I can be very emotional and caring in public, but not always.

Last edited:
Reactions: acd

I think the point is that NT tend to come off as cold as they tend to have a tight leash for emotions. You need to take the good with the bad and so if you minimize one you minimize both.

I tend to be on the colder side but I don't scare people away with my presence. (unless Indego isn't telling me things)

:m142: HDU ask such a thought provoking and interesting question! WAHHHHHHHH!:m169:

lol, sorry. no i'm not emotional in public, quite the opposite actually. but i'm ok with other people being so, as long as it's not over the top. seeing people hug and kiss each other in public is kind of sweet, and breaks the monotony of our clinical industrial modern world for a bit.

Emotions are largely a pain in a butt with little to no use (at least the negative ones)
I should clarify that I used "emotional" as it was used in the OP, not as I normally think of the word. I tend to dislike emotional interactions with other people, but I do seek out emotional stimulation by other means (movies and music, for example).

NO JOHN.
NT's are cold and negative, NF's are warm and fluffy.
Accept the facts, boy!