Being emotional in public | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Being emotional in public

:m142: HDU ask such a thought provoking and interesting question! WAHHHHHHHH!:m169:

On the other hand I am ok with being ironic in public:bump2:

Siriously, I know that question might be old, but I ask because sometimes I feel awkard for feeling awkard:) when I don't do emotional things in public.

It's weird for me. I can sometimes get really emotional if something goes against my morals and beliefs. But I don't get angry like normal people, I cry. I cry when I'm listening to moving music, I cry when me and my partner have an argument. He hates that as it makes him feel guilty but I have told him it's not him making me cry but my way of dealing with intense emotion. And I can cry with laughter.

Are you? do you feel comfortable?
I mean really emotional, crying, kissing, hugging people...I can't nothing from that. I hardly have need for that (maybe in really really special ocasions).

I don't think it has much to do with the type. More like culture and where in the world you grew up :) If you grew up in a country where showing emotions and "crying, kissing, hugging" in public is an OK behavior, then it will be natural for you, too. Compare southern and northern Europe to see the huge difference.

I hug, but not much else.
I've only twice cried in cafes, one time was because my sister cried and it passed onto me XD I've cried a couple of times in school too, after I managed to hurt myself in P.E. XD
I'm usually very overtly happy though...

Are you? do you feel comfortable?
I mean really emotional, crying, kissing, hugging people...I can't nothing from that. I hardly have need for that (maybe in really really special ocasions).

I don't feel comfortable being emotional when I'm on my own, so goodness knows, I'd feel very vulnerable if I was to suddenly break down crying in public. Unless, of course, it was a funeral or something and out of the respect for the deceased, you were expected to openly mourn them.

Kissing in public always made me very uncomfortable. A quick peck on the cheek or on the lips in greeting doesn't bother me, but full on make-out sessions in a social situation disgusts me. I feel like I'm intruding on a private moment between two people... or like they're intruding on my personal space by getting too comfortable with one another. Thus, I would never engage in such behavior. I like to keep my intimate moments intimate.

Reactions: Blind Bandit
I think it's healthy to be able to display emotions in private and in public. That being said I am just as comfortable crying in public as I am alone: both make me uncomfortable so I do it freely whenever need be. I don't go around kissing people, and I don't know if I would if I had a particular urge to kiss others. I don't normally initiate a hug but am happy to receive one.

I'm a very touchy-feely person and have no problem being emotional in public.

there seems to be a generational component involved, people in their late 20s and older seem to always take note of that people in their early 20s (like myself) and younger seem to be very touchy-feely.

Reactions: Blind Bandit
I like hugs in general, and I'll hold hands etc. If I'm not with anyone else I know and I feel pretty anonymous that is. But any other emotional display certainly not. If I'm feeling sad or angry or whatever, I'll usually clam up and get very quiet. people notice therefore, that there is a problem, but they won't see the true emotions.

Once after a presentation at uni, another class member told me my whole talk (30mins) was a waste because I'd covered another classmates topic instead of my own.
After the hours I'd put into that speech, I got outside the room and just broke down crying ( I do not take criticism well). Even the professor and tutor told me the guy was wrong and I'd done well (got a distinction). Still, didn't stop the tears.

Also, I like hugging..some people. I'm very picky about who I will hug. I especially hate fake hugs from casual acquaintances, they are invading my personal space.

I'm comfortable holding hands, hugging and quickly kissing someone I'm dating. I'm not usually comfortable crying or expressing anger in public or usually around most people in private. I respect it when other people cry or express anger in public within some limits.

As a general rule, I hate it. The exceptions are scant and I prefer to keep my cards close.