Are we? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Are we?

Don't forget word: modest...
...Ooooo - to know us is to like us:):):)

I don't think many INFJS desire to be "popular" in that sense. All that attention is quite suffocating. I do think we can be popular in the sense that the people who know us love us and seek us out for help.
I'm not so sure about a, either. Externally, if we are uncomfortable with someone, I don't think we are particularly charming. More like awkward...

But not always.

I agree with the original list and the expansions...I believe we are only popular because once we are discovered everyone wants to learn what makes us tick...and once they learn they can take us or leave us...generally they leave us to our passionate and idealistic ways. Were dreamers, optimists, romantics, and dramatic. Were imaginative, and visionary. We see the world in a way no one else can, and it can be difficult for others to grasp our reality.

misunderstood is a perfect one as well!

Last edited:
Formidable Presence? I've never thought that about myself, and I know few INFJ's irl. Can someone elaborate? Is this an INFJ using X-Men powers for awesome (rather than for good)?

I usually feel like C and F at my school, I get really shy and I concentrate on my work instead of goofing off. But in other places, I usually feel a bit better about myself.

In my classes, we have similar humour and respect for knowledge, so I like to talk and add to the conversation. It probably doesn't really seem like I am INFJ.

In uncomfortable situations, though, I'll just give up on trying to be social.
When I can sense everyone pretty much hates me? Yeah.

I don't think many INFJS desire to be "popular" in that sense. All that attention is quite suffocating.

Yes but we always need to be at least 'neutral' with everyone in the room. Otherwise, we have a breakdown

Formidable Presence? I've never thought that about myself, and I know few INFJ's irl. Can someone elaborate?

Like when I'm in a group of people I relatively know well, and I feel someone is about to say something that shouldn't be brought up, I give them a look and they'll be like *ok, sorry* look back.

...Also, when the group goes onto some right or wrong subject, but don't know which route to take, all heads turn to the infj

I personally would say we're every single one of those things on that list. But there's one thing I'd add that I find universal in myself and all my fellow INFJ's: The need to be re-assured.

Yes, so we can't ever be managers, but sub-managers ;) ;D

Please expand. Are we:

a) charismatic/ charming: if you'd talk then sometimes

b) leaders: rarely

c) loners: mostly

d) intimidating: never

e) likeable: mostly

f) despised: probably

g) popular: no

h) a formidable presence: hardly

uh, good way of expanding, but disagree:m054:

I agree with the list. However we are popular in that many different types find us "really interesting" and as such we garner more attention as a group, which could be interpreted as "popular"

I don't think many INFJS desire to be "popular" in that sense. All that attention is quite suffocating. I do think we can be popular in the sense that the people who know us love us and seek us out for help.
I'm not so sure about a, either. Externally, if we are uncomfortable with someone, I don't think we are particularly charming. More like awkward...

But not always.

I just got back from my 20 year class reunion, and found out that I was in fact extremely popular in high school. I had no idea.

However, it was because I was so 'interesting' and people knew they could come to me for help and advice, a perspective unlike anyone else's. The overwhelming opinion was also that I was (am) a very charismatic person. I was stunned. I honestly thought my high school class was barely able to tolerate me.

It just goes to show that we are incredible at seeing the needs and feelings of others, but not how they relate to us. We are terribly weak on the Fi front, heh.

So, I think the amended list could look something like this...

a) charismatic/ charming

b) leaders

c) loners

d) intimidating

e) likeable

f) despised

g) popular

h) a formidable presence

i) Caring

j) Sensitive

k) Idealistic

l) Creative?

m) uhm.. difficult

n) often misunderstood

o) empathic

p) unable to see ourselves as others see us

Those all describe me, but at different times with different people, and rarely all at once.

I don't think popular goes with type so much as type relations. In other words, I don't think you can describe a type as "popular." It's more of an individual vs. environment thing.

Hehe, nice Von Hase!

Maybe people like INFJs, but I'm not so sure about my case. I don't feel particularly popular.
And I get what your saying about the popularity thing. It just depends on the context in which you are using such a word.
Also, Von Hase, that doesn't surprise me at all. I love reading your posts, and frankly, I can't see how you wouldn't be popular.

i also think we can be largely underestimated

a) all knowing :)

I second the last two posts.

Does anyone else find many of the things people say to you just plain condescending? I tell myself that I'm just being sensitive, but maybe it's not so. I think it stems from the fact that I'm highly intuitive and I just "understand" things, so when people tell me certain things I'm get into this "how dare you act like I didn't know such an obvious thing" state of mind. Maybe it's not as obvious to other people...

I just got back from my 20 year class reunion, and found out that I was in fact extremely popular in high school. I had no idea... I honestly thought my high school class was barely able to tolerate me.

I'm not so sure about my case. I don't feel particularly popular.

How would you know? Fi ain't even on our radar! :p

You should ask someone you trust. And really listen to what they say. :)

oo, how so how so??

i think it could stem from our modesty

To the uninformed, we seem pretty average and unintimidating. People just don't generally look to us for anything - until they start to know us. That's when they begin to see the depth and leadership qualities.

I just made that up, but it sounds good! :D

To the uninformed, we seem pretty average and unintimidating. People just don't generally look to us for anything - until they start to know us. That's when they begin to see the depth and leadership qualities.

sounds good

Had a teacher telling me this about me: Still waters run deep.
I think its safe to say that this applies to all infjs :p

we the people
Are we...the people?