Are some religions just memetic control mechanisms? | Page 10 | INFJ Forum

Are some religions just memetic control mechanisms?

What I want to know is how Buddhism manages to stay alive if it doesn't rely on indoctrination and the suppression of reason. Could its precepts truly be so based on what is that they need no Pascal's wager or illusion of supremacy to be recognized?

Most Buddhists say in China for example are Buddhist but also believe in a traditional type of religion. The giant egg for example. Buddhism is more of a way of life.

Most Buddhists say in China for example are Buddhist but also believe in a traditional type of religion. The giant egg for example. Buddhism is more of a way of life.

I tend to think one could call Christianity

a religion

a way of life.

Others may fall into that same category.

As for not finding recent information or finding source material, well...it depends on how well you're trained when it comes to finding research material. I'm two courses shy of becoming a "full fledged" librarian (I'm fighting it, but if I decide to I'm there) so I know where to find stuff. (EbscoHost is my guru :D).

I didn't know that there were courses (degrees?) specifically for librarians. How does all that work? By "librarian," do you mean a person qualified to work in a government library, or something else, like a professional researcher of some kind?

minority funk said:
ketsugi said:

So what you and ketsugi are saying is, Because he's an INTP, and uses Wikipedia occasionally for debate fodder, you'll completely disregard his logic and attack him over that.

Shit, let's throw out the theory of relativity. After all, that was invented by an INTP.

I didn't know that there were courses (degrees?) specifically for librarians. How does all that work? By "librarian," do you mean a person qualified to work in a government library, or something else, like a professional researcher of some kind?

There are. From Cert 3's in Library Services, to Bachelor Degrees in Information Services.

LOL! Ohhh, yes. It's a Masters Degree.

Courses can include: Intro to information organization (we learn to build online thesauri and we learn theory of information [or how humans catalogs information], intro to information access and retrieval (how to locate anything, anywhere, quickly), records management, preservation, system analysis and design, electronic databases and information services, legal information and access services, government information and access services, medical information and access services, data modeling for information professionals, digital information management, information retrieval theory...

So on, and so forth. It's actually quite interesting. I love the research side. The digital imaging side is what I started with, but I'll probably end up with a generic degree if I finish.

Basically you learn how to access any information anywhere and you learn how computers process information, and why (and how that can translate to human cognition/cognitive theory). I could be a corporate spy because I can look up other company's public information, I can do genealogies, I can locate some government documents (occasionally classified info if I'm lucky), and I can build thesauri for computers (retrieval theory).

If I wanted to study organic chemistry I could also work more as a preservationist. That used to be my dream: To work in a film library. The other was to work in a comic book/pop culture library.

George W Bush got a degree in History from Yale, and a Masters in Business from Harvard.

I hope you're not seriously suggesting that stating what degree you got where, in what field can be used in an argument. That's pure stupidity. Use an argument to counter an argument, otherwise you're as good as breaking godwins.

George W Bush got a degree in History from Yale, and a Masters in Business from Harvard.

I hope you're not seriously suggesting that stating what degree you got where, in what field can be used in an argument. That's pure stupidity. Use an argument to counter an argument, otherwise you're as good as breaking godwins.

Uhh, no. He was asking me a question about library and information science, and I told 'im I was getting my degree in it and what courses folks take in the degree. It wasn't meant as an argument, just a statement.

C'mon, Shai guy!

i'm reading the thread and posting replies as i go... wasn't talking about you.

Courses can include: Intro to information organization (we learn to build online thesauri and we learn theory of information [or how humans catalogs information], intro to information access and retrieval (how to locate anything, anywhere, quickly), records management, preservation, system analysis and design, electronic databases and information services, legal information and access services, government information and access services, medical information and access services, data modeling for information professionals, digital information management, information retrieval theory...

Thanks, that's broader than I thought. It would certainly be useful on a day-to-day basis. Are you taking those courses online or in a college setting?

Thanks, that's broader than I thought. It would certainly be useful on a day-to-day basis. Are you taking those courses online or in a college setting?

I took everything online, except for a few core courses. Here's an example of goals/objectives to becoming a librarian in the States: http://www.lis.unt.edu/main/ViewPage.php?cid=34 . By the time you complete your degree, you should know these things.

Oh, and some copyright laws. I have some knowledge of that as well. Not that I necessarily agree, but there ya go.

So what you and ketsugi are saying is, Because he's an INTP, and uses Wikipedia occasionally for debate fodder, you'll completely disregard his logic and attack him over that.

Shit, let's throw out the theory of relativity. After all, that was invented by an INTP.

I wish I knew what you were quoting me on in this...

I think the Wikipedia is more the issue. Being INTP doesn't make him disregardable, but generally it's harder to explain the INFJ prospective to an INTP, from what I've experienced -- their logic isn't faulty, but it's often difficult to get them to see what we're trying to say from our point of view. It gets frustrating on our side.

then can you pimp out gloomies body to me instead?

Dealing under the table won't work. I see all.

I think the Wikipedia is more the issue.

I don't understand what was wrong with BenW's Wiki links. As far as I saw, he didn't use them as authorities on historical details or to specifically support his opinions; he linked to commonly known definitions and explanations, including a logical fallacy and several articles on the concept of the burden of proof. His arguments would have been just as valid without the sources, since anyone can look up the terms on multiple sites, but he provided them as a convenience, which I generally see as an act of courtesy in a debate.

Reactions: Quinlan and BenW
I don't understand what was wrong with BenW's Wiki links. As far as I saw, he didn't use them as authorities on historical details or to specifically support his opinions; he linked to commonly known definitions and explanations, including a logical fallacy and several articles on the concept of the burden of proof. His arguments would have been just as valid without the sources, since anyone can look up the terms on multiple sites, but he provided them as a convenience, which I generally see as an act of courtesy in a debate.

I'll admit, I wasn't really aware of what the argument was or to what he posted a link directing -- I'm not really judging him myself, but I can see how someone would find that somewhat shaky in real debate. In other words, being unaware of the context and in light of the question of why he's being attacked, I could see it more likely being because of the wikipedia reference than to him being INTP.

Shai, You can toss the theory of relativity before we could allow tossing all the ints here, just in my opinion, and not because of who or what type wrote it. ; )