Are intuitives midly insane? | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Are intuitives midly insane?

Does having random hallucinatory moments make one insane? Say you're driving back from the city at night and in your rearview mirror you see the silver backside of traffic signs.. and fervently believe them windows in the sky. And actually ask yourself the question, "wtf are those windows doing up there?"
Does that make one mildly insane?

The fact you are cognizant that they are random hallucinatory moments would indicate not.

cheers,
Ian

I think I'm more than mildly insane sometimes.

If I am insane, I really enjoy it!

I have a hypothesis that intuitive minds fall on the autistic and schizophrenic spectrum. And it's a spectrum so that means you can have more or less of the traits, obviously, and there's no one single 'insanity'.

But, yes, 'mildly insane' might be one way to put it, given that's usually how it's viewed by societal rules. In the end, it's all just variation, whatever stigma and distortion is thrown on it.

The fact you are cognizant that they are random hallucinatory moments would indicate not.

cheers,
Ian
Not sure what it is, if someday, slowly but surely and then very suddenly-I am going to lose my mind.. Or if it's just a vivid imagination. I have a horrible habit of not taking careful notice of my surroundings due to being consumed with my own inner thought life, that every so often I'll notice something and it will startle me (such as the example I gave earlier) and I will automatically interpret it as something surreal and it will seem very real for a moment until I begin to question the logic of it...

Last edited:
Surprisingly appropriate image:

0891060960.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Never even heard of it till I went looking for a picture ;)

EDIT: And yes, I do believe intuitives are slightly crazy. Not as in mental illness, but just curiously different.

S's also have many traits that sound like illness, the problem is that those characteristics are valued buy society and as S's are the majority their illnesses are somehow more understood and accepted. Also N's don't have much support in society and it leads to illness that usually are just the extreme of our characteristics. Off course the probability of certain illnesses to happen may be related to types. E's won't have avoidant personality for example. LOL

No laffing at me!

I am totally normal. And there is plenty of evidence around this forum to prove it!

Well, I'm totally normal for at least three weeks out of a month.
What happens during that other week I have no clue?

I have a hypothesis that intuitive minds fall on the autistic and schizophrenic spectrum. And it's a spectrum so that means you can have more or less of the traits, obviously, and there's no one single 'insanity'.

But, yes, 'mildly insane' might be one way to put it, given that's usually how it's viewed by societal rules. In the end, it's all just variation, whatever stigma and distortion is thrown on it.

Yeah that's what I was really trying to say but I couldn't find the words.

S's also have many traits that sound like illness, the problem is that those characteristics are valued buy society and as S's are the majority their illnesses are somehow more understood and accepted. Also N's don't have much support in society and it leads to illness that usually are just the extreme of our characteristics. Off course the probability of certain illnesses to happen may be related to types. E's won't have avoidant personality for example. LOL

that's an interesting way of looking at it. well said!

I would say that I am too sane rather than insane. I have performance anxiety as well as neglection anxiety (e.g. not getting enough attention).

I definetly agree that intuitive minds are more prone to schizophrenia and autistic traits. It has been indicated that magical thinking and problems separating dreams from reality as well as a vivid fantasy plays a big role in it.

I'm manic depressive, which is apparently now called major depressive or depressive with bi-polar. Whatever it is, that's what I've been diagnosed with. I also have major anxiety issues and suffer anxiety attacks.

There is a lot of depression and addiction in my bloodlines. I have a cousin that was committed for a while for anxiety & paranoia. My maternal grandfather attempted suicide. I believe I have some other blood relatives that have committed suicide and I wasn't privy to any of this information until after I attempted suicide and was nearly committed.

But, I definitely have a hold of myself now, mostly. It takes a lot more to shake me than it used to. However, I still have consistent issues with anxiety attacks. My oldest brother is also an INFJ and has some depression issues, but not like me. Strangely enough, I was the perfect candidate for post-partum depression and was worried it would happen to me. It didn't. I've actually been much happier with life since my son came into the world. Strange. I think that's because INFJs in general have a lot of love to give, so when we're given that opportunity we can thrive.

Originally Posted by alt ctrl del
Does having random hallucinatory moments make one insane? Say you're driving back from the city at night and in your rearview mirror you see the silver backside of traffic signs.. and fervently believe them windows in the sky. And actually ask yourself the question, "wtf are those windows doing up there?"
Does that make one mildly insane?

Nah, that makes you pensive.

Last edited:
I'm manic depressive, which is apparently now called major depressive or depressive with bi-polar. Whatever it is, that's what I've been diagnosed with. I also have major anxiety issues and suffer anxiety attacks.

That must be very tought for you but never give up. Keep fighting against it and try to remain in balance. :) Be bold and mighty forces will come to your aid!

My Grandpa was an alcoholic and severely depressed and alot of people on my mothers bloodline suffer from addiction so I presume that I am genetically predisposed to addiction and I have inherited neuroticism in the form of anxiety. However I have recurrent hysteria.

Either way, I have offically beat any unhappy (depressive) symptoms I had and can control it much better. ^^