Are any of you vegetarians? | INFJ Forum

Are any of you vegetarians?

poetrygirl

Community Member
Feb 9, 2009
MBTI
INFJ
I'm a presco-vegetarian. I haven't successfully gotten off the fish yet ,but anyways I saw someone that posted that they were. I was wondering how many of us were vegetarians or reduce their meat consumption for ethical reasons? :m054:

I mean no offense when I post this, but it was something brought up on another forum.

Why do we care about killing animals for food or otherwise? Nature is all about killing. It would not feel remorse when it brings a tsunami that kills thousands of people and animals. It does not feel guilty when the cheetah kills the newborn impala.

Why then should we (part of nature) feel anything by killing?
Don't take this to mean that I'm some sort of advocate of slaughter mind you, just throwing this out there.

Thread on veganism for reference.

I'm vegetarian, my reasons are mostly not ethical though. I love animals, don't like the taste of them, it works well for all involved.

Darkstar, just because something occurs in nature it doesn't mean its ok for us to do the same. Think about all the things animals do and I'm sure you can come up with some behaviours that are not ok for people with a higher understanding. Animals kill other animals, should it be ok for people to kill other people?

I'm afraid I'm a lifelong member of PETA. That stands for "People Easting Tasty Animals." :m175:

Reactions: Silently Honest
I became a vegetarian about 8 years ago. Before that I had already given up red meat for a few years. So I've not eaten red meat, chicken, fish, etc for a while now.

I don't really miss any of it. Sometimes I miss sushi, but then I think about how much mercury is in the oceans and I don't miss it as much :)

I don't have a problem with eating meat per se. I think I would eat something I raised and killed by myself on a farm, or in the wild. My biggest beef (no pun intended) with eating meat is just that I don't know where everything is coming from, or where it's raised. There are so many chemicals and hormones used to raise meat it's a bit scary; and all those things are consumed by the body in addition to the food itself.

Anyway, enough about my reasons :) I hate for people to think that I'm any type of crusader or anything like that. I have nothing against people who eat meat, and frankly I hope there's a day when I feel comfortable enough about the quality of the meat when I can join them. :)

Another veg here.

I became a veggie for the health reasons more than the "saving the animals." But why not same some animals while I'm at it, right? There are cruel animal farms out there. Nature doesn't torture animals...but people do, there's your difference Darkstar. I'm also against cosmetic (not medical) animal testing and the fur/clothing industry.

Also, the taste of meat never quite agreed with me. I've been an ovo-lacto vegetarian for about 6yrs now. I don't miss meat...but I do miss sushi.

well, I'm thinking about becoming one for a long time, but since I'm still in my "growing-up process" I think I should postpone it for later (I think I'll start in 2012 or so)

I'm afraid I'm a lifelong member of PETA. That stands for "People Easting Tasty Animals." :m175:
-.-U I'm a member of the REAL PETA

I mean no offense when I post this, but it was something brought up on another forum.

Why do we care about killing animals for food or otherwise? Nature is all about killing. It would not feel remorse when it brings a tsunami that kills thousands of people and animals. It does not feel guilty when the cheetah kills the newborn impala.

Why then should we (part of nature) feel anything by killing?
Don't take this to mean that I'm some sort of advocate of slaughter mind you, just throwing this out there.

i do agree that killing is a natural thing, i think saying that it's 'all about killing' though is a tad inaccurate. if it's all about anything it's about life, in the natural order of things taking a life serves a purpose. surely the cheetah has no need for guilt when he follows his natural instinct to survive. in the case of natural disasters how can we be sure that there is not a greater purpose at play also, a bit of population control maybe?
perhaps the very fact that we do or can feel remorse about it is supposed to serve a purpose also. with great power comes great respnsibility
i'm not a veggie by the way

i do agree that killing is a natural thing, i think saying that it's 'all about killing' though is a tad inaccurate. if it's all about anything it's about life, in the natural order of things taking a life serves a purpose. surely the cheetah has no need for guilt when he follows his natural instinct to survive. in the case of natural disasters how can we be sure that there is not a greater purpose at play also, a bit of population control maybe?
perhaps the very fact that we do or can feel remorse about it is supposed to serve a purpose also. with great power comes great respnsibility
i'm not a veggie by the way

I also agree. I do feel guilty at times because I have no capacity whatsoever to kill animals, even fishing really. I even feel guilty killing something like a slug.

No vegetarianism here! I like my meat. I like my fish. I like all of it!

But like I've posted in the other veganism thread. All of you should be seeing a nutritionist and getting regular physical check ups to ensure that you aren't hurting yourselves in the long term by not providing the correct amount and quantity of nutrients and proteins necessary to maintaining your health.

As for the ethics involved? I think that arguement is nothing more than a superiority complex that people use in order to attempt to produce shame and guilt in those who are not choosing their way of life. The only reason that you are able to choose to live a vegan/vegetarian lifestyle is because of the current development of our society/civilization and the mass farming techniques currently utilized.

Reactions: Blind Bandit
As for the ethics involved? I think that arguement is nothing more than a superiority complex that people use in order to attempt to produce shame and guilt in those who are not choosing their way of life.

I strongly disagree with that. There are plenty of people who are vegetarians for moral/ethical reasons who do not push their beliefs on other people. Morals and crusades are different things, someone with morals makes choices for what's right for them someone on a moral crusade will try to get others make the same choices. I know vegetarians/vegans who fit both categories but generally the latter only talk about the 'evils' of killing animals if you ask them about it.

As I've said, personally ethics are not the main reason I became vegetarian but they play a part now, I'd rather not have any animal die unnecessarily however I have never told anyone that they should re-think eating meat nor do I encourage others to become vegetarian even if they are interested, everyone needs to make their own choice.

I strongly disagree with that. There are plenty of people who are vegetarians for moral/ethical reasons who do not push their beliefs on other people. Morals and crusades are different things, someone with morals makes choices for what's right for them someone on a moral crusade will try to get others make the same choices. I know vegetarians/vegans who fit both categories but generally the latter only talk about the 'evils' of killing animals if you ask them about it.

As I've said, personally ethics are not the main reason I became vegetarian but they play a part now, I'd rather not have any animal die unnecessarily however I have never told anyone that they should re-think eating meat nor do I encourage others to become vegetarian even if they are interested, everyone needs to make their own choice.

Didn't sound to my like you disagreed with that. However, you made a distinction I did not.

The difference between those who make the decision for themselves and those who go on the moral crusades and try to get others to make the same choices.

I'm not a vegetarian, but if I gave up meat it would be for health reasons. I've no problem with eating other animals. But hey, it hasn't killed me yet, and if it did, I wouldn't care anymore! :lol:

<off-topic>
I did give up milk for health reasons - all the hormones they inject in cows to make them grow faster get into the milk, and then into us. *shudder* That's not healthy. And look at nature - no other animal drinks milk once it's matured. Why should we? There's plenty of other beverages to switch it with. I don't care if other drink milk, I just usually avoid it myself.
</off-topic>

I'm not a vegetarian, but if I gave up meat it would be for health reasons. I've no problem with eating other animals. But hey, it hasn't killed me yet, and if it did, I wouldn't care anymore! :lol:

<off-topic>
I did give up milk for health reasons - all the hormones they inject in cows to make them grow faster get into the milk, and then into us. *shudder* That's not healthy. And look at nature - no other animal drinks milk once it's matured. Why should we? There's plenty of other beverages to switch it with. I don't care if other drink milk, I just usually avoid it myself.
</off-topic>

I stick to soy milk :). I will only have regular milk when I have fresh baked cookies, and even then it isn't nesscerry.

I stick to soy milk :). I will only have regular milk when I have fresh baked cookies, and even then it isn't nesscerry.

True that! And unsweetened soy milk is best, since everything being used with the milk is already sweetened plenty.

I also am a vegetarian. I wanted to start for health reasons, once I did the research I was terribly shocked and disgusted. For many reasons moral, health, environment. I could never take a dead animal and put it into my body. I refuse to support the factory farming industry for the harm it does to humans and the environment and the UNDENIABLE cruelty that the "food" animals are subjected to is disgusting.

I'm a presco-vegetarian. I haven't successfully gotten off the fish yet ,but anyways I saw someone that posted that they were. I was wondering how many of us were vegetarians or reduce their meat consumption for ethical reasons?
I'm a pescitarian too ;). I love teh fish and teh sushi XD... though i dont know if my reason is so ethical.... i just hate the taste of meat XD... well meat thats like from land animals :/

:D YAY me too.

Haha yayy. Although I have come across nausea/remorse when I have thought that what I have eaten is in fact cute littlie birdies or baby lamb's :( Therefore I try to stay ignorant (not think about this fact). Sometimes I decide to reduce my meet intake though ^^

Last edited: