Approximate percentages of MBTI per population | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Approximate percentages of MBTI per population

It isn't really fair to S for us to bash it. I try to remember that I am always seeking sensory meditation, se and si, to improve my well being, and acknowledge that S types are already closer than me to that goal.

Reactions: acd
You guys can bash S all you like. Every hate comment towards them seems to be more focused towards SJ's

Anyway, must dash. My SP self has found something shiny...

... I am always seeking sensory meditation, se and si, to improve my well being, and acknowledge that S types are already closer than me to that goal.
+1!!

It really works.. I posted about it in a blog I abandoned here eons ago..

Well, if you take the figures at face value, roughly 70% or so have an S function vs an N function. Seems that the odds are more skewed to have false N than false S. I wouldn't consider it S bashing per se but I do admit I find Se and Si verrryyy difficult to understand. Again, I say that of all the functions, S and N are more opposite than any other function. It does relate to how you perceive the world, so it would seem that it is more of an instinctive function rather than a learned function and it relates to how you build relationships between people. T and F are judgement functions and I would postulate that they are learned rather than instinctive. Something that is deeply ingrained inside (like instinct) is more rigid than something learned.

So the least common males and females would be infjs and intjs respectively

And the most common, estj males and enfp females

This forum appears to be a concentrated collection of some of the most uncommon :p

So the least common males and females would be infjs and intjs respectively

And the most common, estj males and enfp females

This forum appears to be a concentrated collection of some of the most uncommon :p

*ESFJ females..ahh there goes my tertiary Si xD.

In all seriousness..finding statistics to find exactly how much of each type there is..that's near impossible.

I have also noticed that people base their responses more on what they want to be and what they think they SHOULD be. There's also the desire to be "different", people will try and avoid what they think is "common" to have some sense of individuality.

Last edited:

In all seriousness..finding statistics to find exactly how much of each type there is..that's near impossible.

I have also noticed that people base their responses more on what they want to be and what they think they SHOULD be. There's also the desire to be "different", people will try and avoid what they think is "common" to have some sense of individuality.

This is true, too. When we start saying, "well, I'm like x in this situation and like y in this situation" rather than selecting who we generally are all the time, things get messy.

I think I also read that we can become more like ourselves when under a bit of stress. Not a major amount over a long period of time, mind you, but just...you know. Stress at work, at home, when people upset us, etc. How we react to the small stressors of life is more telling than who we'd like to be on forums or in person.

We all have an ugly side. Don't be hatin'. :mhula:

Lol you're right, esfj females. Se-fail in practice people, in case you ever mistook me for a sensor ;)

This is true, too. When we start saying, "well, I'm like x in this situation and like y in this situation" rather than selecting who we generally are all the time, things get messy.

I think I also read that we can become more like ourselves when under a bit of stress. Not a major amount over a long period of time, mind you, but just...you know. Stress at work, at home, when people upset us, etc. How we react to the small stressors of life is more telling than who we'd like to be on forums or in person.

We all have an ugly side. Don't be hatin'. :mhula:

Which makes it even more confusing because part of MBTI theory states that under stress, we become our "shadow type" which is pretty much our polar opposite like INFJ-ESTP or our Functions opposite INFJ-ENFP.

I'm starting to believe that we may not have a "real" personality in the end because so many events can alter it. We just have more or less an idea on what our "general" pattern is.

Reactions: hush
Glad to hear from fellow INFJ's and to find out how rare we are.. not sure what this means but maybe why I feel mis-read, mis-understood, sometimes.. hmm..

Which makes it even more confusing because part of MBTI theory states that under stress, we become our "shadow type" which is pretty much our polar opposite like INFJ-ESTP or our Functions opposite INFJ-ENFP.

I'm starting to believe that we may not have a "real" personality in the end because so many events can alter it. We just have more or less an idea on what our "general" pattern is.

Yes and no, though. Under severe stress, yes, we flip a switch and become weirdos. But light stress, no; I think we usually do become more like ourselves:

Recognising Stress

As stress increases, 'learned behaviour' tends to give way to the natural style, so the INFJ will behave more according to type when under greater stress. For example, in a crisis, the INFJ might:

* find a place of solitude in which to think and work
* tell everyone else how well they are coping
* try to solve the long term problem, and neglect the short term
* make errors of fact, or ignore routine matters that might nevertheless be essential

Under extreme stress, fatigue or illness, the INFJ's shadow may appear - a negative form of ESTP. Example characteristics are:

* acting very impulsively, making decisions without thinking them through
* doing things to excess - e.g.: eating, drinking or exercising
* being critical of others, and finding fault with almost everything
* being preoccupied about unimportant details and doing things that have no meaning
* acting in a very materialistic and selfish way
* cutting corners, breaking the rules, and even contradicting the INFJ's own values

The shadow is part of the unconscious that is often visible to others, onto whom the shadow is projected. The INFJ may therefore readily see these faults in others without recognising it in him/her self.

Link: http://www.teamtechnology.co.uk/myers-briggs/infj.htm .

I do think there's a balance in who we are, though. And of course, no one person will act the same way in all circumstances.

OMG I KNOW!

I don't like STJs. No offence Kavalan <333
I'll eat you
But those seem spot on. The one thing that annoys me though, is how many S that fake their way into testing as an N. IT really skews the results, I feel like theres a whole bunch more S on this forum, than are making themselves known.

[MENTION=442]arbygil[/MENTION] :

I think NFs in general TBH, with ENFJ being the most appreciated.

It's about how one understands their own processes. I tested INTJ quite frequently until I retested under a heavy mental load of chemistry research which lit up my Si, Te, and Ti score and showed my Ni to be bottom barrel. Also INTJ compared to ISTJ as far as descriptions go ar not far off. No need to hate on us... or as I said earlier
I'll eat you

I think that, insofar as the MBTI is true, this is more or less accurate. If anything, more skewed because some people lament their inability to find 'intuitive' mates or friends.

The problem is that there's a huge bias for N over S.
You know, Ns are intelligent, creative, focus on the big picture, ect.
Ss are boring, have no imagination, always do the same thing over and over, focus on details, stupid, big muscles small brain, ect.

But that's not true at all. S's are very important to society, and can be VERY intelligent. They just tend to not want to utilize the intelligence. And if it wasn't for S's to fill in all the details of society, the whole shebang would fall apart.

But that's not true at all. S's are very important to society, and can be VERY intelligent. They just tend to not want to utilize the intelligence. And if it wasn't for S's to fill in all the details of society, the whole shebang would fall apart.

No, this is a HUGE misnomer to say that about S types. They don't want to utelize intelligence? That is completely far off base, and infact is the complete opposite of what is true. S's will want to use intelligence more so then N types if you ask me, as they are more realistic/fact based.

I'd like to say that explains why I've never met another INFJ in my life, but it's probably more that I find it too hard to go out and actively try to form new relationships. If they happen, they happen, but I can't just go up to people with the intent of starting a relationship, platonic or otherwise.

If anything, I'd rather my personality type not be the rarest. It's a nice thought of how unique, different, etc. we are, but I'd much rather be able to meet like-minded people than ponder on how few of us there are alone.

What makes you think that we do not want to use our intelligence?

On another note, being rare doesnt necessarily make you more valuable.

Last edited:
Reactions: hush
For some reason, I wanted to add this. A while ago, I did some research on gifted education and found an MBTI spread on the gifted population. It looks like so:
From a population of 1247 students...
ISTJ: 112 (9%)
ISFJ: 27 (2.2%)
INFJ: 57 (4.6%)
INTJ: 116 (9.3%)
ISTP: 46 (3.7%)
ISFP: 17 (1.4%)
INFP: 127 (10.2%)
INTP: 185 (14.8%)
ESTP: 40 (3.2%)
ESFP: 20 (1.6%)
ENFP: 170 (13.6%)
ENTP: 147 (11.8%)
ESTJ: 43 (3.4%)
ESFJ: 24 (1.9%)
ENFJ: 35 (2.8%)
ENTJ: 81 (6.5%)

It also breaks down the individual factors (in percents)
E 44.9, I 55.1 / S 26.4, N 73.6 / T 61.7, F 38.3 / J 39.7 , P 60.3

So while Ns make up 1/4 of the world population, we make up 3/4 of the gifted population?

For some reason, I wanted to add this. A while ago, I did some research on gifted education and found an MBTI spread on the gifted population. It looks like so:
From a population of 1247 students...
ISTJ: 112 (9%)
ISFJ: 27 (2.2%)
INFJ: 57 (4.6%)
INTJ: 116 (9.3%)
ISTP: 46 (3.7%)
ISFP: 17 (1.4%)
INFP: 127 (10.2%)
INTP: 185 (14.8%)
ESTP: 40 (3.2%)
ESFP: 20 (1.6%)
ENFP: 170 (13.6%)
ENTP: 147 (11.8%)
ESTJ: 43 (3.4%)
ESFJ: 24 (1.9%)
ENFJ: 35 (2.8%)
ENTJ: 81 (6.5%)

It also breaks down the individual factors (in percents)
E 44.9, I 55.1 / S 26.4, N 73.6 / T 61.7, F 38.3 / J 39.7 , P 60.3

So while Ns make up 1/4 of the world population, we make up 3/4 of the gifted population?

What is makes someone gifted in this study?