Anything wrong with being feminine? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Anything wrong with being feminine?

I'm pretty much a sixteen year old boy on the inside, but people are dumb. If you dress up in pretty dresses and whatnot, people think you're feminine and sweet and charming. I'm really a tomboy disguised as a girly girl. My hyper femininity is ironic. I like to confuse people.

I don't know but I just made a post referring to you as a chick.

Sorry about that.

Fly Away, if you don't mind sharing, what steps did you take to build up your confidence and self-esteem? What did you realize? What was your defining moment that turned things around for you?

For me, I had a really bad experience in 10th grade that really lowered my self-esteem even lower than it already was before. It was something that I could not talk to my family about, or even my friends. I went through the summer after that dealing with the pain that said experience had caused me, as well as an injury that happened that summer, which put me on crutches for the rest of the summer, giving me time to really reflect and introspect more than ever before because there was not much else I could do. Everything just seemed impossible at that time and I felt so helpless, but then I sort of had a lot of time to think and I sort of had an epiphany and I told myself that that I didn't deserve this and that I was worth much more and that I was going to prove it to myself and I was going to find the answers. So I read the Quran and discovered what Islam was really about and that what people were saying about wasn't true, and that the way my family understood it was polluted by their own cultural ideas. Mind you, a lot of the previous pain and fear that I endured in my life was as a result of racism and identity issues, and while I did grow up in a family with a somewhat Muslim background, I never understood it until I found out for myself what it was all about. Anyways, so at that point, I embraced Islam. I knew that it was the answer to my heartaches. It was just so beautiful to me and practical and made so much sense at the same time. And it helped me realize that I was worth much more than anyone in my life ever treated me like I was worth. So I took all the fear that I had of people and I told myself that I was going to throw it all away. And it didn't come right away all at once, but little by little, I started to take less and less of people's crap and believe more and more that I was a great person and that nobody can change that, no matter what. I realized that I did not want to live my life afraid of everyone and that I was not going to allow people to step all over me and tell me that I'm less than they are. I decided that I had God-given rights and that I was going to embrace those rights, no matter what anyone else believed. And after a year or so, I was a very different person. Two years later, I was an even stronger person. People these days actually come up to me and tell me how inspiring I am, even though they don't know my past and what it took to get here. This includes strangers that I see on the train. The reason is that I'm someone who is clearly different but the self-confidence that I have built is clearly visible and walks with me wherever I go.

For me, it was religion and seeking God and discovering that I wanted to embrace my rights, for someone else, it doesn't have to be. Just realize in one way or another that you are a great person and have a right to be respected and a right to live without fearing other people. Stay humble about it but never lose your self-confidence.

Last edited:
Anything wrong with wrong?

I really hope not, otherwise I'm in serious trouble... If you ask me, whoever decided what's wrong and what's right... was surely wrong!

Imposing only two possibilities forces you to think in terms of "with" or "against" the "norm", when in fact you shouldn't care about any of these anchors at all.

Last edited:
For me, I had a really bad experience in 10th grade that really lowered my self-esteem even lower than it already was before. It was something that I could not talk to my family about, or even my friends. I went through the summer after that dealing with the pain that said experience had caused me, as well as an injury that happened that summer, which put me on crutches for the rest of the summer, giving me time to really reflect and introspect more than ever before because there was not much else I could do. Everything just seemed impossible at that time and I felt so helpless, but then I sort of had a lot of time to think and I sort of had an epiphany and I told myself that that I didn't deserve this and that I was worth much more and that I was going to prove it to myself and I was going to find the answers. So I read the Quran and discovered what Islam was really about and that what people were saying about wasn't true, and that the way my family understood it was polluted by their own cultural ideas. Mind you, a lot of the previous pain and fear that I endured in my life was as a result of racism and identity issues, and while I did grow up in a family with a somewhat Muslim background, I never understood it until I found out for myself what it was all about. Anyways, so at that point, I embraced Islam. I knew that it was the answer to my heartaches. It was just so beautiful to me and practical and made so much sense at the same time. And it helped me realize that I was worth much more than anyone in my life ever treated me like I was worth. So I took all the fear that I had of people and I told myself that I was going to throw it all away. And it didn't come right away all at once, but little by little, I started to take less and less of people's crap and believe more and more that I was a great person and that nobody can change that, no matter what. I realized that I did not want to live my life afraid of everyone and that I was not going to allow people to step all over me and tell me that I'm less than they are. I decided that I had God-given rights and that I was going to embrace those rights, no matter what anyone else believed. And after a year or so, I was a very different person. Two years later, I was an even stronger person. People these days actually come up to me and tell me how inspiring I am, even though they don't know my past and what it took to get here. This includes strangers that I see on the train. The reason is that I'm someone who is clearly different but the self-confidence that I have built is clearly visible and walks with me wherever I go.

For me, it was religion and seeking God and discovering that I wanted to embrace my rights, for someone else, it doesn't have to be. Just realize in one way or another that you are a great person and have a right to be respected and a right to live without fearing other people. Stay humble about it but never lose your self-confidence.

Fly_away, your my inspiration to continue on and try to improve myself, thank you.

^ That's very inspiring, fly away. Thank you for sharing that.

Fly_away, your my inspiration to continue on and try to improve myself, thank you.

You're welcome. Raccoon, I'm glad that you feel inspired by this. You should never be afraid of people. You're an awesome kid and building your self-confidence will make you shine. If I did it, you can too.

You're welcome. Raccoon, I'm glad that you feel inspired by this. You should never be afraid of people. You're an awesome kid and building your self-confidence will make you shine. If I did it, you can too.

Exactly. It takes great will of power to overcome your weaknesses but once you are aware of them and know how to solve them, the experience itself will leave you a changed man. There's nothing wrong of having feminine qualities, as a matter of fact, I applaude you for recognizing them but you were born a man and as long as you don't embrace the fact that people will look at you differently for not being "masculine" enough, you'll be really unhappy. Grow both ways, empower your empathic and nurturing qualities but also learn to control your emotions and assert yourself so people will respect you and honor you for what you really are. Confidence will make that happen and as long as you don't find that confidence, we'll be seeing many post like this one and unfortunealy unable to help you in despite on how badly I would like to give you the answer to stop your suffering.

Until that happens Raccoon, you know that we'll be here to listen to you and consolate you but it takes YOU for things to get better and find the peace you're looking for.

well thank you, I'm glad you clear this up, yes I do have self-confidence/self-stem issues...I was just a bit confuse about what some people in the chat where saying yesterday like quitting all the feminine music, join football, talk more ''guy stuff'' etc etc..I'm not interested in any of this activities and I don't want to have to forcefully change myself and that's what has been bothering me..I want to improve my self-stem and be able to socialize better without having to chnage who I am inside.

I think they were trying to encourage you to physically toughen up, which was noble, but it would be useless. You could be the biggest guy on campus with a hit that can kill a man, but if they sense any sort of psychological weakness, they'd still find ways to haze and bother you.

Confidence is key.

The one thing they WERE right about is getting involved in something, anything, that is a bit challenging for you. Challenges and accomplishments build self-efficacy and self confidence.

Good luck

well thank you, I'm glad you clear this up, yes I do have self-confidence/self-stem issues...I was just a bit confuse about what some people in the chat where saying yesterday like quitting all the feminine music, join football, talk more ''guy stuff'' etc etc..I'm not interested in any of this activities and I don't want to have to forcefully change myself and that's what has been bothering me..I want to improve my self-stem and be able to socialize better without having to chnage who I am inside.

You don't need to prove anything to anyone. Be you, and do the best you can under the circumstances. Move beyond your comfort zone not for anyone else, but for greater peace of mind for yourself and to prove to you that there are greater heights of achievement possible for you in all aspects of your life.

Last edited:
Only if you intend on getting a sex change to go along with your feminine personality.

You are who you are. Call it masculine or feminine.
Emotional sensitivity and enjoying certain t.v. shows are not inherent characteristics denoting your gender..

Last edited:
I'd always read that in traditions like Wicca, there was a strong emphasis placed on male and female roles, with females being the light-healer energy, and males being the dark-destructive energy.

There are so many different pagan nature gods, though. Wasn't sure which tradition/mythology

I have always been a pretty feminine person, not what your average guy would be into. The TV shows that I love, talk about, the fact that I experience a sudden rage of emotions, I cry easily for anything considered ''sad'',the music that I listen too..all has been described as feminine by many, as a matter of fact ''gay'' was one of the words people would always shout at me all the time, after discussing this in the chat, I have been getting some advice, however, some was to stop being so effeminate and like things other guys would typically will, basically change my person because unfortunately in society, this gender stereotypes is what things should be, but I do not want to change who I am. I love fantasy,,caring for others, introversion and I don't want to change this away. Do you think there's anything wrong with not wanting to change even though it is said to survive in society this is needed?
I'm actually the same way but I learned a few things:

- It is not wrong, objectively, to be more effeminate, or 'yin' then others -- but it does play a part in how others percieve you. And if you can fit in and find commonalities with others, then it will make your life easier. But if you must, then be brave, say what's on your mind, help people, protect people, be open and honest, do whatever needs to be done at the time even if you're scared. To me that is the embodiment of the masculine within the feminine.

- Sports is surprisingly useful, and you should pursue them while you're still in school, even if it seems redundant and useless, or if you are no good at it. Sports build your physical condition (which also helps your mental condition), as well as increases your strengths in the areas of teamwork, relating to others, self-confidence, and perseverence.

- If you are happy being an introvert, then enjoy it. Changes will only happen if you think to yourself 'I want to do this', not because you feel as if you should, or should want to.

Last edited:
Does equating gender with religion really help anyone, anyway?
I was using it as a kind of way of showing how masculinity and femininity were equally important in a lot of cultures, so it was fine to be feminine ^^" I can be difficult to follow on trains of thought sometimes, sorry.

Who defined feminine? Why is there any sort of stigma attached to being an emotionally developed person?

Hmm. I don't want a gender.

Reactions: acd