Questingpoet

Not Afraid to Use His Beard
Donor
Sep 11, 2009
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
From all that I am reading, the latest vehicle from Christopher Nolan and Leo DiCaprio is a superb film. I am a huge Nolan fan (since Memento) and like Leo in most of his stuff. This sounds like a very cerebral movie--right up my alley. I will probably have to see it alone though as my wife doesn't like that stuff. I'm interested in some "real people" reviews now. I can only take so much of the critics viewpoints. Who's going to see it?

I'll be seeing it some time this weekend, unless something crazy happens.

Reactions: Questingpoet
Cool! Post a review if you have time.

Reactions: Wyote
It looks fantastic, can't wait to see it!

I may or may not be seeing it tonight. It depends.

It has been like 3 years since a movie preview has interested me, and this one did it. This seems EXACTLY up my alley. I definitely want to see it.

I have to see it. I mean. HAVE. TO. I feel like a kid at Christmas five minutes before official "Christmas."

I feel like a kid on a sugar high.

NOBODY SPOIL ME!

I will be seeing it sometime on Saturday, I suspect. With my Mom, who, funny enough, wants to see it with me.

I just saw it.

Some very important points that I don't think will be spoilers...

I had assumed that the movie was going to be a feeble excuse for a bunch of eye candy... the kind of plot that is clearly bent to allow for the special effects.

This movie is the exact opposite.

It is extremely story driven, and the story is the kind of brilliant that makes me think the general public will not understand it. The special effects are designed to support the story, not the other way around. If you've seen the trailers, you've probably seen all of the special effects already.

You will definitely walk out of this film with that "Am I really in reality?" feeling.

I give it an A-, and I'm a really tough critic. Easily the best movie of the year so far.

Thanks VH. That's along the lines of reviews I've already read. It really makes me want to go see it. The acting is supposed to be excellent also I hear.

@ what VH said:
We've seen Nolan pull off that trick a couple of times - deceive the audience about what to expect, based on the trailers and ads, and then present them with a much deeper story, much more humanly truthful story, which everyone personally relates to.
I haven't seen it yet, and probably will see it no earlier than in a month, but am just gonna share what kinda repulses me - that it's another story based on people (or machines, in 'the matrix') trapping each other into dreams etc (I only conclude from the trailer, I may be wrong). By now I can't even begin to be afraid of such scenarios. Yes, they are possible. So what. It is also possible for a human to kill off the life on the planet, and do all kinds of (even more) horrible things. But why would they want it, and how long would it last. It won't. So don't worry, it's just a movie. The hype will go off, like it eventually did with the Matrix, which remains legendary, but can't ever have the same strong message anymore. Just another boo-hoo, they wanna get us, we must be afraid and vigilant, and get'um first. That said, something tells me Nolan will succeed yet again to surprise me eventually. :) Clever fox is that Nolan guy.

We've seen Nolan pull off that trick a couple of times - deceive the audience about what to expect, based on the trailers and ads, and then present them with a much deeper story, much more humanly truthful story, which everyone personally relates to.[/spoiler]I haven't seen it yet, and probably will see it no earlier than in a month, but am just gonna share what kinda repulses me - that it's another story based on people (or machines, in 'the matrix') trapping each other into dreams etc (I only conclude from the trailer, I may be wrong). By now I can't even begin to be afraid of such scenarios. Yes, they are possible. So what. It is also possible for a human to kill off the life on the planet, and do all kinds of (even more) horrible things. But why would they want it, and how long would it last. It won't. So don't worry, it's just a movie. The hype will go off, like it eventually did with the Matrix, which remains legendary, but can't ever have the same strong message anymore. Just another boo-hoo, they wanna get us, we must be afraid and vigilant, and get'um first. That said, something tells me Nolan will succeed yet again to surprise me eventually. :) Clever fox is that Nolan guy.

Yes - I think you'll be very surprised. It's a good movie. Very well done with good continuity within the framework premise of the story.

I will see it. I guess on 24th of July :) I like movies like this. And Leonardo ... I was not a big fan but I really love http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0407887/ and http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108550/

I think these 2 are his best movies so far.

Leo's biggest and best role yet was in "what's eating gilbert grape", it was so good that he has been typecast in the same DAMN role in every movie since.

Every movie has him playing arnie, over and over again. Or maybe that's just all his acting ability allows for.

Leo's biggest and best role yet was in "what's eating gilbert grape", it was so good that he has been typecast in the same DAMN role in every movie since.

Every movie has him playing arnie, over and over again. Or maybe that's just all his acting ability allows for.
Are we supposed to take that claim seriously?

I think I'm the only person I know that wasn't overly impressed. Good yes. The special effects were spectacular, the acting was good as well. I thought the script was poor in parts which made it a bit cheesy for me. Also, maybe a bit overcomplicated. I understood it all by the end (I think), but so many layers that it got difficult to tell where it was headed. The only thing I was pleased of was that they gave the viewer time enough to work it all out before the end. So I'm saying yes, I would watch it again, I liked it, but I think it has been massively hyped up.

The story is actually about going into dreams to either acquire information or plant ideas. The characters recognize that they can be trapped in a dream if something goes wrong. -- [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66TuSJo4dZM"]trailer[/ame]

(Oh noes... I just wanted to add the link to it. Hence the tags. Oh, well.) "The smallest i....com/member.php?u=1833][U]enfp can be shy[/U]:'s spoiler is somewhat of a specialty for Nolan.

Last edited:
haven't seen it yet, but I want to :) it looks really good

I really enjoyed it, the length was a bit much for me, but that could be due to the fact that we went the first night it opened and got there 45 minutes early to get a good seat. But with previews it was 2 hours and 40 minutes.

Did Leo's character remind anyone else of the character he played in Shutter Island? I don't want to give anything away by saying anything about the plot.

I plan on seeing it this week.