Will another language replace English as the dominant language in the near future? | INFJ Forum

Will another language replace English as the dominant language in the near future?

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
Here is an article found online today which describes the top languages spoken in the world today. One of the points the article raises is will we ever reach a point in the near future "where another language becomes so widely spoken that it overtakes English as second language of choice?"

Languages of the World

Author: liz 9 Jun

language.gif

What are the most widely spoken languages in the world? Or, if you are contemplating learning a second language, which will get you the most new conversation opportunities for your effort?

The following list shows number of people speaking a language either as their first or second language. It is taken from Nicholas Ostler’s ‘Empires of the Word’, a detailed (and long!) history of the main world languages.
1. Mandarin Chinese (1,052m)
2. English (508m)
3. Hindi (487m)
4. Spanish (417m)
5. Russian (277m)
6. Bengali (211m)
7. Portugese (191m)
8. German (128m)
9. French (128m)
10. Japanese (126m)
11. Urdu (104m)
12. Korean (78m)
13. Wu Chinese (77m)
14. Javanese (76m)
15. Telugu (75m)
16. Tamil (74m)
17. Yue Chinese / Cantonese (71m)
18. Marathi (71m)
19. Vietnamese (68m)
20. Turkish (61m)
It would be interesting to know how the popularity of these languages is evolving. These figures are nearly 10 years old so in that time the Chinese speaking population has probably increased by around 40 million, for example. Rate of population increase must be the strongest factor in determining whether a language is currently moving up or down this list.
e_winner.gif
I suspect this list may under-estimate the power of English by not counting those who speak English very competently and use it on a regular basis, but have learnt it as their third or even fourth language. That may sound improbable if you are a native English speaker, but for some it is a necessity. As one example, This post on A Wide Angle View of India blog explains that in many parts of India children grow up learning three languages, of which one is English.

English is currently the most popular choice as language of international communication, but will there come a point where another language becomes so widely spoken that it overtakes English as second language of choice? It may happen sooner than you think.
Update: compiling a list like this involves difficult decisions. The most obvious question is ‘why is Arabic not on this list?’. If included it would come around 5th place. See Ostler’s remarks in the comments below on why he considered Arabic dialects as separate languages. As an alternative view, this post from The Linguist Blogger incorporates different sources of information as well as Ostler’s list.
http://pocketcultures.com/topicsoftheworld/2008/06/09/top-20-languages-of-the-world/

Last edited:
I've come across similar articles before. I honestly don't mind if English isn't the most popular language. I'm really not attached to it. It's actually quite a horrible language.

I think those statistics may be a bit off. Isn't Arabic in the top 10? I thought it was. I'll try and see if I can get a legit source.

I think those statistics may be a bit off. Isn't Arabic in the top 10? I thought it was. I'll try and see if I can get a legit source.

In the post it states Arabic would be around 5th but since it has so many dialects they were counted separate.

I only posted the article as a discussion point, not as a scientific tool. My question is whether we can see another language replacing English in the near future, what will it be, and why? Consider that languages which are widely spoken are not necessarily ones the most widely written or studied.

English is still widely spoken and most important in commercial use, and I think in the future it won't be so different. Sure we have an emerging Chinese population which is becoming a world power but English is still the language most widely used and the language that is mostly studied( Europeans often pick English as their second language, though most are muntilingual). The Chinese themselves are learning English, there are more English speakers in China then anywhere else in the world. China has really been influenced by the dominance of English..perhaps becoming a major language in their country? Now a days a lot of developing countries are also focusing on English..if anything English will not loose it's power but as More powerful nations emerge, they will be looking for people who can speak different languages, the world is so competetive that speaking only 1 language is not enough, the more you know the better.

English is still widely spoken and most important in commercial use, and I think in the future it won't be so different. Sure we have an emerging Chinese population which is becoming a world power but English is still the language most widely used and the language that is mostly studied( Europeans often pick English as their second language, though most are muntilingual). The Chinese themselves are learning English, there are more English speakers in China then anywhere else in the world. China has really been influenced by the dominance of English..perhaps becoming a major language in their country? Now a days a lot of developing countries are also focusing on English..if anything English will not loose it's power but as More powerful nations emerge, they will be looking for people who can speak different languages, the world is so competetive that speaking only 1 language is not enough, the more you know the better.

Agree.

set 

/sɛt/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[set] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation verb, set, set‧ting, noun, adjective, interjection

–verb (used with object)
1. to put (something or someone) in a particular place: to set a vase on a table.
2. to place in a particular position or posture: Set the baby on his feet.
3. to place in some relation to something or someone: We set a supervisor over the new workers.
4. to put into some condition: to set a house on fire.
5. to put or apply: to set fire to a house.
6. to put in the proper position: to set a chair back on its feet.
7. to put in the proper or desired order or condition for use: to set a trap.
8. to distribute or arrange china, silver, etc., for use on (a table): to set the table for dinner.
9. to place (the hair, esp. when wet) on rollers, in clips, or the like, so that the hair will assume a particular style.
10. to put (a price or value) upon something: He set $7500 as the right amount for the car. The teacher sets a high value on neatness.
11. to fix the value of at a certain amount or rate; value: He set the car at $500. She sets neatness at a high value.
12. to post, station, or appoint for the purpose of performing some duty: to set spies on a person.
13. to determine or fix definitely: to set a time limit.
14. to resolve or decide upon: to set a wedding date.
15. to cause to pass into a given state or condition: to set one's mind at rest; to set a prisoner free.
16. to direct or settle resolutely or wishfully: to set one's mind to a task.
17. to present as a model; place before others as a standard: to set a good example.
18. to establish for others to follow: to set a fast pace.
19. to prescribe or assign, as a task.
20. to adjust (a mechanism) so as to control its performance.
21. to adjust the hands of (a clock or watch) according to a certain standard: I always set my watch by the clock in the library.
22. to adjust (a timer, alarm of a clock, etc.) so as to sound when desired: He set the alarm for seven o'clock.
23. to fix or mount (a gem or the like) in a frame or setting.
24. to ornament or stud with gems or the like: a bracelet set with pearls.
25. to cause to sit; seat: to set a child in a highchair.
26. to put (a hen) on eggs to hatch them.
27. to place (eggs) under a hen or in an incubator for hatching.
28. to place or plant firmly: to set a flagpole in concrete.
29. to put into a fixed, rigid, or settled state, as the face, muscles, etc.
30. to fix at a given point or calibration: to set the dial on an oven; to set a micrometer.
31. to tighten (often fol. by up): to set nuts well up.
32. to cause to take a particular direction: to set one's course to the south.
33. Surgery. to put (a broken or dislocated bone) back in position.
34. (of a hunting dog) to indicate the position of (game) by standing stiffly and pointing with the muzzle.
35. Music. a. to fit, as words to music.
b. to arrange for musical performance.
c. to arrange (music) for certain voices or instruments.

36. Theater. a. to arrange the scenery, properties, lights, etc., on (a stage) for an act or scene.
b. to prepare (a scene) for dramatic performance.

37. Nautical. to spread and secure (a sail) so as to catch the wind.
38. Printing. a. to arrange (type) in the order required for printing.
b. to put together types corresponding to (copy); compose in type: to set an article.

39. Baking. to put aside (a substance to which yeast has been added) in order that it may rise.
40. to change into curd: to set milk with rennet.
41. to cause (glue, mortar, or the like) to become fixed or hard.
42. to urge, goad, or encourage to attack: to set the hounds on a trespasser.
43. Bridge. to cause (the opposing partnership or their contract) to fall short: We set them two tricks at four spades. Only perfect defense could set four spades.
44. to affix or apply, as by stamping: The king set his seal to the decree.
45. to fix or engage (a fishhook) firmly into the jaws of a fish by pulling hard on the line once the fish has taken the bait.
46. to sharpen or put a keen edge on (a blade, knife, razor, etc.) by honing or grinding.
47. to fix the length, width, and shape of (yarn, fabric, etc.).
48. Carpentry. to sink (a nail head) with a nail set.
49. to bend or form to the proper shape, as a saw tooth or a spring.
50. to bend the teeth of (a saw) outward from the blade alternately on both sides in order to make a cut wider than the blade itself.
–verb (used without object) 51. to pass below the horizon; sink: The sun sets early in winter.
52. to decline; wane.
53. to assume a fixed or rigid state, as the countenance or the muscles.
54. (of the hair) to be placed temporarily on rollers, in clips, or the like, in order to assume a particular style: Long hair sets more easily than short hair.
55. to become firm, solid, or permanent, as mortar, glue, cement, or a dye, due to drying or physical or chemical change.
56. to sit on eggs to hatch them, as a hen.
57. to hang or fit, as clothes.
58. to begin to move; start (usually fol. by forth, out, off, etc.).
59. (of a flower's ovary) to develop into a fruit.
60. (of a hunting dog) to indicate the position of game.
61. to have a certain direction or course, as a wind, current, or the like.
62. Nautical. (of a sail) to be spread so as to catch the wind.
63. Printing. (of type) to occupy a certain width: This copy sets to forty picas.
64. Nonstandard. sit: Come in and set a spell.
–noun 65. the act or state of setting or the state of being set.
66. a collection of articles designed for use together: a set of china; a chess set.
67. a collection, each member of which is adapted for a special use in a particular operation: a set of golf clubs; a set of carving knives.
68. a number, group, or combination of things of similar nature, design, or function: a set of ideas.
69. a series of volumes by one author, about one subject, etc.
70. a number, company, or group of persons associated by common interests, occupations, conventions, or status: a set of murderous thieves; the smart set.
71. the fit, as of an article of clothing: the set of his coat.
72. fixed direction, bent, or inclination: The set of his mind was obvious.
73. bearing or carriage: the set of one's shoulders.
74. the assumption of a fixed, rigid, or hard state, as by mortar or glue.
75. the arrangement of the hair in a particular style: How much does the beauty parlor charge for a shampoo and set?
76. a plate for holding a tool or die.
77. an apparatus for receiving radio or television programs; receiver.
78. Philately. a group of stamps that form a complete series.
79. Tennis. a unit of a match, consisting of a group of not fewer than six games with a margin of at least two games between the winner and loser: He won the match in straight sets of 6–3, 6–4, 6–4.
80. a construction representing a place or scene in which the action takes place in a stage, motion-picture, or television production.
81. Machinery. a. the bending out of the points of alternate teeth of a saw in opposite directions.
b. a permanent deformation or displacement of an object or part.
c. a tool for giving a certain form to something, as a saw tooth.

82. a chisel having a wide blade for dividing bricks.
83. Horticulture. a young plant, or a slip, tuber, or the like, suitable for planting.
84. Dance. a. the number of couples required to execute a quadrille or the like.
b. a series of movements or figures that make up a quadrille or the like.

85. Music. a. a group of pieces played by a band, as in a night club, and followed by an intermission.
b. the period during which these pieces are played.

86. Bridge. a failure to take the number of tricks specified by one's contract: Our being vulnerable made the set even more costly.
87. Nautical. a. the direction of a wind, current, etc.
b. the form or arrangement of the sails, spars, etc., of a vessel.
c. suit (def. 12).

88. Psychology. a temporary state of an organism characterized by a readiness to respond to certain stimuli in a specific way.
89. Mining. a timber frame bracing or supporting the walls or roof of a shaft or stope.
90. Carpentry. nail set.
91. Mathematics. a collection of objects or elements classed together.
92. Printing. the width of a body of type.
93. sett (def. 3).
–adjective 94. fixed or prescribed beforehand: a set time; set rules.
95. specified; fixed: The hall holds a set number of people.
96. deliberately composed; customary: set phrases.
97. fixed; rigid: a set smile.
98. resolved or determined; habitually or stubbornly fixed: to be set in one's opinions.
99. completely prepared; ready: Is everyone set?
–interjection 100. (in calling the start of a race): Ready! Set! Go!
—Verb phrases
Source(s):

dictionary.com

English is efficiently confusing.

I don't think any language is going to replace English as the most dominant global language anytime soon. The reason for this is that no other language is nearly as spread out as English. Take Mandarin for example, it is the language spoken by the most people but it's not spread out as evenly as English. In order for a language to become dominant in the world, it must be global. Also, if you look at Spanish and Hindi, they both have very high numbers of speakers, but again, they are not as evenly spread out. It's all part of globalization as well. I can see a different language becoming more dominant than English globally one day, but I doubt this would happen in any of our lifetimes.

If I had my druthers, we would all speak French. But that's only because I like the way it sounds, not necessarily for efficiency.

I don't think any language is going to replace English as the most dominant global language anytime soon. The reason for this is that no other language is nearly as spread out as English. Take Mandarin for example, it is the language spoken by the most people but it's not spread out as evenly as English. In order for a language to become dominant in the world, it must be global. Also, if you look at Spanish and Hindi, they both have very high numbers of speakers, but again, they are not as evenly spread out. It's all part of globalization as well. I can see a different language becoming more dominant than English globally one day, but I doubt this would happen in any of our lifetimes.

Not to mention that even though Spanish its widely spoken, it has very little economic influence(Most Spanish speaking countries are developing nations). Even though India is developing rapidly, it still has not reached a status comparable tot he US, not to mention Hindi is to eccentric(spoken mainly inside the country and has a lot of religious root) which is why English is being spoken in India often. China is becoming a world power and might get many people interested in learning it but the fact that China has so many English speakers, that English is already global and well let's face it English is a much easier language to learn all plays a key role even if it might not seem like it does.

Reactions: Gaze
If I had my druthers, we would all speak French. But that's only because I like the way it sounds, not necessarily for efficiency.

I think it'd be fun if we all spoke lojban, but I'm far too lazy to actually learn it.

Not to mention that even though Spanish its widely spoken, it has very little economic influence(Most Spanish speaking countries are developing nations). Even though India is developing rapidly, it still has not reached a status comparable tot he US, not to mention Hindi is to eccentric(spoken mainly inside the country and has a lot of religious root) which is why English is being spoken in India often. China is becoming a world power and might get many people interested in learning it but the fact that China has so many English speakers, that English is already global and well let's face it English is a much easier language to learn all plays a key role even if it might not seem like it does.

So very true. Great points raccoon!

Chinese isn't quite as good when it comes to science or anything technical in my opinion. Every time you have a completely new concept, you're basically forced to create new alphabet(s) so it the term itself can be represented.

You can see the problems this creates as the in English you could still read the word and say the word without knowing the definition. In this case for Chinese, it is possible for a person to not know the definition but also not know how to say the word itself.

English is a better platform for technical thought as the alphabet remains the same. Since the world in it's current stage is highly technocratic and specialized, you could see why English is the dominant force.

Last edited:
Chinese isn't quite as good when it comes to science or anything technical in my opinion. Every time you have a completely new concept, you're basically forced to create new alphabet(s) so it the term itself can be represented.

You can see the problems this creates as the in English you could still read the word and say the word without knowing the definition. In this case for Chinese, it is possible for a person to not know the definition but also not know how to say the word itself.

English is a better platform for technical thought as the alphabet remains the same.

Interesting point Naxx.

Good point, Quinlan.

Both Chinese and English are analytic languages which means they don't motivate you to construct your own words based on principles, but to choose from many already existing words; and also since each word can be interpreted in multiple ways, those languages are ambiguous, best suited for trading (and deceit), not science.

All languages are formed by random factors and of course are far from being efficient and precise.

I doubt English will get replaced by Chinese or Hindi, but languages may slowly die out in everyday use, as we move towards completely visual/audio realistic communication.

Many of the abstractions of languages have caused more damage to people than they have been useful. We talk about a lot of things that don't exist. We mostly need abstraction, really, in formal languages like mathematics, which help to extract precise information, unavailable directly.

Only 508 million that have English as their first or second language?

Faulty stastistic to say the least

Judging from all the mexicans going into the southern states, I'm saying it could be spanish.