[PUG] - why i hate twilight | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

[PUG] why i hate twilight

Comparing Twilight to intelligence is rather ridiculous, they are both entirely on a different scale. I know plenty of people who use it as an escape and are rather bright. People assume that certain things are intellectually degrading, such as specific types of music, television shows and novels. The truth is that they have little to no correlation. I can see why people might also related to immaturity and lack of emotional intelligence but even then the connection is very loosely correlated, and it is subjective to each specific person. I remember there was a thread once on typing individuals by musical preference, in the end we were all surprised by the great musical diversity shown. Personally, I believe this demonstrates that personality and intelligence have little or no connection to this sort of ''escapes'' people use

couldn't agree more, and i think the confusion lies in the seperation from art and entertainment. i've always seen art as open to interpretation, different, and sincere with less emphasis on universal qualities or recognition. entertainment on the other hand is intended for and built around a general targets shared collective.

i think the problem is that we want to see all music books or movies as sincere, technical, new, original, where in reality they usually are a blend of both, some creators leaning further in one direction than another. the only time i don't enjoy a movie is when it can neither entertain, nor move me. only then will i verbally renounce a movie.

i've watched two twilight movies and i enjoyed them enough. my opinion is i could take it or leave it, if my younger sis brings me the movie i'll watch it if i don't run into it i'll survive. the technique wasn't bad enough for me to feel as though i wasn't being entertained which i see as the movies emphasis so in my own personal opinion it was good.

i think this distinction between high and low art is not useful. any work of fiction entails a creative expression of a constellation of ideas and values with greater or lesser finesse, and can reasonably be compared in quality with any other work of fiction on this axis. if you’re going to just dismiss it as not even worthy of art status, you might as well fully expose its shoddy art value.

well i'm a firm believer that art and entertainment are indeed seperable, mostly spawning from the creators intent, some of whom just want to tell people what they want to hear while others look to reveal/conceal parts of themselves through their work, but because art is open to interpretation i guess you could see it as much.

sometimes to enjoy a movie or piece of music or whatever, we have to take the critical pants off and just let the piece take us where it wants to. if every movie was just judged on originality or technique there'd be alot of good movies that go unnoticed. this is why if a movie is critically acclaimed i will then put on the spectacles and examine technique and originality, but otherwise i'm just there to enjoy the ride, it allows me to appreciate these technically lacking forms of entertainment and to experience them as they were intended.

in this sense for the most part i've almost always enjoyed movies that richard roeper has given his thumbs up to, but i have also enjoyed movies that haven't bc i allowed myself to. is it much smarter to know what makes a "good" movie from a "bad" one if it limits that which we can enjoy? well not for me, i still see them as worthwhile just like i did before i knew what makes a movie technically impressive. i don't go outta my way to watch a mediocre movie, but rarely am i moved so much as to actually say that i didn't enjoy it.

One of the nicer things about getting old is that you can totally remove yourself from a popular cultural element with no shame. I know there is a Twilight, but I have conspicuously avoided much else about it. I like my vampire fiction, like my vampires, aged a few centuries. As for Tweenlight--every generation's got one. My parents were stuck with "The Mod Squad", so count your blessings. ;)

Last edited:
i'm sure posting this will do nothing for my image as a crazy art zealot, but it doesn't matter, as i am a crazy art zealot.

silly invisible person, invisible people don't have images, little less crazy ones.

Reactions: invisible
I can stand the bad writing, I can stand the shitty vampires, I can stand the teenage lovey-doveyness. What I can't stand is Bella. She has no single good quality about her.

I bet her kidneys would be worth a shitload. Fuck her liver though, too much bitchiness filters through it daily.

One problem OP: Wuthering heights is the most boring ass book, next to all the other ones. GAH. I read like two sentences of it, then held a book burning for all the books of it in my area. SOTL has the last one. I'll get it one day.

I bet her kidneys would be worth a shitload. Fuck her liver though, too much bitchiness filters through it daily.

One problem OP: Wuthering heights is the most boring ass book, next to all the other ones. GAH. I read like two sentences of it, then held a book burning for all the books of it in my area. SOTL has the last one. I'll get it one day.
OH NO YOU WON"T

*Hides book in Room of Requirement*

(You can't find it unless you know where said room is XD)

poor emily. if she could only have anticipated the effect of those two sentences on you i'm sure she would have changed them, but alas her time came too soon.

yes. alas.

If Stephanie Meyers knew this is what people wanted, she must be pretty damn clever. I don't think something like this is easy to pull off accidentally.

I read one book, enjoyed the story dynamic, and was amused by the sappiness (but I don't read romance often). The way I read I'm usually not interested in the personality of the characters introduced. I did feel like the love was a bit empty though.

As for me, last December I ended up in the emergency room where they decided that I had a broken humerus and insisted upon a life of relative imprisonment for a few weeks. I was running out of stuff to read, wanted something fun, and my niece brought me Twilight. I really enjoyed the whole series. And to be honest the hype didn

Reactions: jyrffw54
"my image as a crazy art zealot" *looks to the left*... uhm... that was purely by accident...

As for twilight... The only appeal is to childhood fantasies. There is no depth what-so-ever to the Twilight series. This is most especially prevalent in the characters used. As you guys said, the person who is suppose to play the main protagonist is superficial at best.

I would like to interject a moment, if I may.
Ran across this awhile back....the costume was meant to be humorous and over the top. It works.
IMG_0186.jpg

I would like to interject a moment, if I may.
Ran across this awhile back....the costume was meant to be humorous and over the top. It works.
IMG_0186.jpg

*keels over laughing* XD

This picture sums up how I feel about twilight.
celebrity-pictures-boreanaz-vampires.jpg

Since the Twilight tweens and Twilight moms seem to do whatever Stephanie Myers does, I wonder how many Twilight inspired Morman conversions we are going to see in the next few years.
Note: I have nothing against Mormans. I'm just stating that a lot of the Twilight fans are sheep.

Last edited:
my new affectionate nickname for twilight is "twiles". as in, "i think it's time i gave twiles a reread." when a customer asks me where in the shop we keep these books, i'll say "oh, twiles lives just over there now." good old twiley.

my new affectionate nickname for twilight is "twiles". as in, "i think it's time i gave twiles a reread." when a customer asks me where in the shop we keep these books, i'll say "oh, twiles lives just over there now." good old twiley.
:)

I like your avvy

Reactions: invisible
invisible said:
i assert that twilight is poisonously misogynistic and appeals to a cultural insistence on feminine roles into which girls continue to be indoctrinated, in a way that acts to further secure them in these helpless feminine roles. a big part of this is in this novel’s use of vampirism to explain away edward’s deeply abusive nature.

Peppermint said:
I just wanted to point out that there's probably several dozen similar novels out there.

I don't get why everyone insists on having strong opinions on Twilight in particular.

http://www.jasminejade.com/default.aspx?skinid=11

Holy shit, do people actually read these?

This goes right into my "cringe worthy and hilarious" folder.

The author wants you to think he's totally hot and the relationship is deliciously kinky:This Trope said:
A common Japanese character type, the Bastard Boyfriend (in Japanese, kichiku, literally "brutal" or "demonic") character is an Always Male Love Interest whose defining trait is that he is cold, cruel, or abusive to his romantic partner, in a manner intended to be kinky and appealing to the audience.Western versions exist but are comparatively rare nowadays due to the inherent Unfortunate Implications. Bastard Boyfriends can be readily distinguished from the more generic Jerkass or Domestic Abuser because their abuse is eroticized (if it isn't already explicitly sexual), and their victim's beloved's conflict and unhappiness will be played for titillation. As such, they are all-but-guaranteed to be Estrogen Brigade Bait, usually a Bishounen, and the consequences of their behavior are almost never handled realistically. The Bastard Boyfriend almost always gets his girl (or guy), even in cases where they don't seem particularly compatible, although a few are doomed to be merely the rival.

Their love interest, male or female, is usually The Protagonist, although a minority of stories are from the Bastard Boyfriend's point of view. They will probably be presented as a Love Martyr or The Woobie, and is likely to spend quite a bit of the story anguishing over the relationship, possibly while weeping beautifully. This trope has next to no overlap with Belligerent Sexual Tension, since Bastard Boyfriends never seem to show an interest in anyone with the backbone to defy them.

The Bastard Boyfriend is likely to be redeemed by The Power Of Love at the end of the book; alternately, he may eventually be revealed to be nicer underneath. A minority may be revealed to have a Freudian Excuse (such as Abusive Parents or extremely bad former romances). If none of these things happen, his partner may decide that Stalking Is Love and embrace their status as a Love Martyr. Along the way the Bastard Boyfriend may well be Master Of The Mixed Message, if the author needs something to keep his partner strung along. Mature-rated works that have Kichiku characters are likely to involve psychological abuse, Rape Is Love, and maybe some BDSM. PG-rated examples tend to be cold, aloof or sarcastic. In either case, fan reaction tends to be polarized: either they're hot and sexy and their love affair is squeeable, or they're total Jerkasses and the relationship is squicktastic. Works that contain Stalker With A Crush or Mad Love relationships are likely to attract fan interpretations where the characters are recast along these lines.

Taming of the shew plot: check.
+
The "perfect" guy determined on "claiming what's rightfully his" (comes pre packaged with super-powers/great looks/money/badass reputation/achievements/status): check.
+
Spunky, independent heroine who eventually sexually yields to her love interest and realizes happiness in submission, or the ice queen who gets defrosted in the process: check.

PROFIT:???

Apparently.

Twilight was at least more sneaky about it.

Last edited: