What video game(s) do you find inspiring? | Page 5 | INFJ Forum

What video game(s) do you find inspiring?

I am of the Final Fantasy VIII and Metal Gear Solid generation. Both of those games had a big impact on me simply in terms of worldbuilding and immersion in those worlds.

Apart from that... building perfect bases in Command and Conquer: Red Alert was my jam.

Also, the Spyro soundtrack deserves a mention (since everyone knows how good the Skyrim one is, there's no point mentioning it). Running around that world while that shit was playing was just joyous. I got immersed in Soul Reaver, too.

Yes. I was addicted to Tiberian Sun. It was like Red Alert with really weird, unsettling shit mixed in.
I’m a command and conquer guy too. Can’t beat the days of “fuck it. Let’s sell everything apart from Baracks and create a massive army of minions” :laughing:

I used to play with a link-cable with my best mate: two playstations, two TVs, back to back like a chess game: it was AMAZING.

I remember one time I was winning; I had a truly vast army ready to just wipe him out. My forces were arranged into company-sized formations, ordered into neat 3x3 blocks. I was super organised, with each company having a hotkey and a role in the forthcoming invasion plan.

Then, he nuked the whole fucking lot.

I attacked with what I had left and wiped out his base.

He had a second base. Motherfuuu!!!

Think he won that one the sneaky little shit. :laughing:

I used to play with a link-cable with my best mate: two playstations, two TVs, back to back like a chess game: it was AMAZING.

I remember one time I was winning; I had a truly vast army ready to just wipe him out. My forces were arranged into company-sized formations, ordered into neat 3x3 blocks. I was super organised, with each company having a hotkey and a role in the forthcoming invasion plan.

Then, he nuked the whole fucking lot.

I attacked with what I had left and wiped out his base.

He had a second base. Motherfuuu!!!

Think he won that one the sneaky little shit. :laughing:

Lol

Fuck! I wanna play C&C so bad right now :frowning:

I might go get drunk at my sisters party and then come home and play some tiberian sun. I think I got all the games on steam.

What's your style, Ginster?
My favourite games are in the Assassin's Creed and Tomb Raider franchise, outside of PnCs like I mentioned before and the Black Mirror trilogy.

I'm not one for simulations or games that take too long to immerse yourself in - I get bored easily by them. So while The Elder Scrolls would be fun to play, I never managed to get to the point where I enjoyed playing RPGs like that myself. I'm a lost cause when it comes to strategy games, but when it comes to killing a target, I can be quite creative with my environment.

My favourite games are in the Assassin's Creed and Tomb Raider franchise, outside of PnCs like I mentioned before and the Black Mirror trilogy.

I'm not one for simulations or games that take too long to immerse yourself in - I get bored easily by them. So while The Elder Scrolls would be fun to play, I never managed to get to the point where I enjoyed playing RPGs like that myself. I'm a lost cause when it comes to strategy games, but when it comes to killing a target, I can be quite creative with my environment.
Okay, yeah, you managed to answer that and be super creepy at the same time :tearsofjoy:

*locks door*

LOL. You get used to it! PT had me feeling like you were safe in the beginning and the longer it went on the scarier it got. It was intense the first play thru.

Closest game experience I can remember to that was RE4 and hearing that chainsaw guy off in the distance and slowly getting closer.

I never really 'got' the horror genre in general or why people like it, to be honest. I just find it boring, and it never holds my interest. It seems to lack meaning and aesthetic, somehow.

What I find scary are existential questions - like I will actively avoid certain kinds of AI/robot movies because it's just far too creepy to me these days.

LOL. You get used to it! PT had me feeling like you were safe in the beginning and the longer it went on the scarier it got. It was intense the first play thru.

Closest game experience I can remember to that was RE4 and hearing that chainsaw guy off in the distance and slowly getting closer.
I did play RE4 (hadn't played the others bc of the forced perspective stuff) - I couldn't get past the one guy you meet in a cell early on when you get to the castle. I think that was in Chapter 3, so I'm not sure I ever got to the chainsaw man. But I seem to remember from a Let's Play that he's one of those guys you always have to run away from until way later, right?

Inspired by rereading the thread and growing up with a controller in hand made me think about games over the years.

Top5 by generation for me.
NES: The Legend of Zelda, Super Mario 3, Metal Gear, Contra, Ninja Gaiden

Super NES/Sega: Super Metroid, Super Star Wars, Comic Zone, Zelda Link to the Past, Chrono Trigger

PS1: Castlevania Symphony of the Night, FFVII, Metal Gear Solid, Soul Reaver, RE2

N64: ocarina of Time, GoldenEye, Super Mario 64, Smash Brothers, Majora's Mask

PS2: MGS2, MGS 3, Zone of the Enders 2, GTA Vice City, Shadow of the Colussus

Xbox Halo, Halo 2, KOTOR, KOTOR2, Jade Empire

PC up to 2004: Diablo, Diablo 2, Warcraft 3, Star Craft, Star Wars Jedi Knight Dark Forces 2

Break for now:

I did play RE4 (hadn't played the others bc of the forced perspective stuff) - I couldn't get past the one guy you meet in a cell early on when you get to the castle. I think that was in Chapter 3, so I'm not sure I ever got to the chainsaw man. But I seem to remember from a Let's Play that he's one of those guys you always have to run away from until way later, right?

Yeah if he catches you your Dead. I think you can kill him but it's challenging early on.

I never really 'got' the horror genre in general or why people like it, to be honest. I just find it boring, and it never holds my interest. It seems to lack meaning and aesthetic, somehow.

What I find scary are existential questions - like I will actively avoid certain kinds of AI/robot movies because it's just far too creepy to me these days.

I play about every genre. I'm not a huge horror fan. I like select resident evil, silent Hill, and dead space series titles. Only genre I play less than horror is sports