What video game(s) do you find inspiring? | Page 6 | INFJ Forum

What video game(s) do you find inspiring?

What makes A of E 2 better than the rest?
Most expansions, most factions to chose from, more complex with strategy/gameplay than the first. (The first HD version gave me the impression that I could win
too often with the same army compositions). Also the campaigns are just fun to play (more than the first).
And it's found to be the overall the best AoE game of them all. Back then it was the worthy successor of the original AoE.

AoE 3 i haven't really played long, couple hours so it wasn't really my thing, i don't like the era it played in.

Age of Mythology: the music, the heroes, the god powers, the story, the factions (greeks, egypt, norse). Just the overall game is good. But it's not age of empires in the traditional sense.

Most expansions, most factions to chose from, more complex with strategy/gameplay than the first. (The first HD version gave me the impression that I could win
too often with the same army compositions). Also the campaigns are just fun to play (more than the first).
And it's found to be the overall the best AoE game of them all. Back then it was the worthy successor of the original AoE.

AoE 3 i haven't really played long, couple hours so it wasn't really my thing, i don't like the era it played in.

Age of Mythology: the music, the heroes, the god powers, the story, the factions (greeks, egypt, norse). Just the overall game is good. But it's not age of empires in the traditional sense.

Cool I shall give it a go! cheers :blush:

giphy.gif

Reactions: Wyote
So skimming this thread, I have very different tastes in video game than what was posted, so hopefully you guys will find these suggestions useful.

The Witness
The Witness is a game where you walk around and try to solve puzzles on an island frozen in time. The game does not give you any instruction, but the puzzles in each area are scaffolded, starting easy and getting more complex in small steps, so you can teach yourself each area's puzzle language through experimenting. Then you can take what you figured out in the starting areas, and tackle puzzles that combine multiple mechanics at the same time.

I remember watching an interview of the game designer, Johnathan Blow (who I believe is an INTJ / ILI), where he said the game is not only about how to teach people abstract knowledge, but how to teach people to learn. I think that is an extremely important modern problem, because our society highly values science, and because I foresee more and more education being taught with computers and the internet (for example, Khan academy got me through calculus.)

There are secret video logs you unlock as you play the game. The first one, 0:00 - 3:58, I think summarizes the spirit of the game.

Redout
I grew up playing Hydro Thunder and Wipeout on the PS1, so I originally got interested in Redout from nostalgia, and I couldn't stop watching play through videos because of how pretty it is. I eventually broke down and bought it, despite not really liking racing games, but I'm very glad I did.

Its a difficult game - it is fast, and it takes skill. But once I got the hang of it, it reminded me of one of my favorite past times - speeding on back roads in the mountains in real life. I've found that I can think much more clearly while driving, especially fast, so I would listen to intellectual audio books, or process my emotions, while driving like a maniac at night with no traffic (maybe that has to do with inferior Se). Once I found Redout, I slowly transitioned to playing the game while listening to the same things. It isn't quite as good, but I don't risk running into deer or getting speeding tickets, plus it cost no gas money, and I can do it when ever I want, so its totally worth it.
I always turn the in game music off, and then listen to each of these works with the paired music at ~20% volume.

The Upanishads + Clozee Mixtape

Tao Te Ching + N++ soundtrack

Journey + Abzu
I'm grouping these two game together because they are both atmospheric adventure games directed by Matt Nava. They are both beautiful and emotional artistic journeys. Journey is set in an arabesque desert and Abzu is in the ocean.

So skimming this thread, I have very different tastes in video game than what was posted, so hopefully you guys will find these suggestions useful.

Journey + Abzu
I'm grouping these two game together because they are both atmospheric adventure games directed by Matt Nava. They are both beautiful and emotional artistic journeys. Journey is set in an arabesque desert and Abzu is in the ocean.
If you like games like Abzu, you just have to try out Subnautica.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/264710/Subnautica/

If I had to narrow it down to a couple of games, It would have to be Final Fantasy VII and Metal Gear Solid 3 : Snake Eater. The overall story and experience of them both is very much something that has never left me.

More recently and some honorable mentions :

What Remains of Edith Finch
Brothers
Mass Effect Series
KOTOR 1 & 2
Heavy Rain
Beyond : Two Souls
The Last of Us
Red Dead Redemption
Some of the older Assassin Creeds'