What type were you raised to be | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

What type were you raised to be

ESTJ. Oh the irony..

They always wanted me to come out of my shell. They saw my need for "solitude" as strange and unnatural. They said I was too dreamy, too idealistic, and that I needed to come down to Earth. They said I was too emotional. They were very into gender roles, and imposed that I shouldn't cry or be too sensitive. They also were strict, and wanted me to be a decision maker. They wanted a detailed and organized person, and that just wasn't me.

Reactions: Gaze and bickelz
ESTJ. Oh the irony..

They always wanted me to come out of my shell. They saw my need for "solitude" as strange and unnatural. They said I was too dreamy, too idealistic, and that I needed to come down to Earth. They said I was too emotional. They were very into gender roles, and imposed that I shouldn't cry or be too sensitive. They also were strict, and wanted me to be a decision maker. They wanted a detailed and organized person, and that just wasn't me.

Same deal for me, but it was mostly my mother trying to force me to be someone else.

Reactions: Raccoon Love
I think I was raised to be ESTJ. My parents were kind of hard on. When ever I did something right they wouldn't give me those encouraging words that kids need so much to build their self-esteem. When I did something wrong I got yelled at. But I really can't blame them because they both grew up in unloving and cold enviroments.

Reactions: Gaze
My dad imparted Ti and Fi to me, and my mom J, for the rest I was left to develop naturally, I guess.

IXTJ. Our home was completely dominated by T-J orientation. Neither parent had a handle on why I was so "sensitive."

Reactions: jyrffw54
My family always wanted me to be more ESFP/ESFJ. My grandmother, specifically, thought I had the ability to become a pastor. My mom just focused on me being abhorrently concerned with how my family was doing and always keeping up with them which, due to life experiences, I didn't very much care about. My dad was the only individual who was like "He will be whoever the hell he will be" so...yeah. Life style == Done

I think my mother in particular wanted me to be more affectionate. My father was content with the distance. I am very close to my immediate family. I would say they were very encouraging and supportive of whomever I wanted to be and do. I never got the feeling they were molding me, either that or I didn't notice. I can be particularly blind to other's desires to modify my behavior since I consider it unimportant in many, many ways.

I was raised by my INTP father and my ENFJ mother, needless to say it was my father who had the greater influence. Though both of my parents encouraged me to grow up and become my own person, my father encouraged me to think for myself, while my mother encouraged me to clean the house and play by the rules. I think it was obvious which side won me over, I hate cleaning. The alternative would of been me developing into a INTJ.

Last edited:
They didn't care as long as I was a college educated, Southern Baptist, right-winger who married a white, college educated, Southern Baptist, right-winger. And preferably dressed in Polo shirts and boat shoes.

Too bad for them I became a panpsychist anarchist who mostly dated exotic freaks and dressed like a militant. I did get college educated, though.

Reactions: bionic
They didn't care as long as I was a college educated, Southern Baptist, right-winger who married a white, college educated, Southern Baptist, right-winger. And preferably dressed in Polo shirts and boat shoes.

Too bad for them I became a panpsychist anarchist who mostly dated exotic freaks and dressed like a militant. I did get college educated, though.

Next stop, university.

ESTJ. Oh the irony..

I relate to some of this..

My mom always seemed to not know how to handle my being so sensitive as a kid.
But my mom had a rough life and I think she just wanted me to be tough and not fall apart at every disappointment.

However, nobody really cared that I was introverted. They always accepted that. It was just the emotional idealist thing that made them uneasy.
My very first nickname was "bleeding heart" and I think I was 8 when I first heard it.

Last edited:
I wasn't raised to be any type but I was expected to be more 'moralistic' than I am. I was a very controversial child because I always challenged people's ideas; even teachers, priests, principals, etc. I had a habit of getting kicked out of church or out of class for proving my teachers or priests wrong when it came to information. Others thought of me as rebellious or 'a misunderstood, gifted child' when I was just intellectually curious and socially unaware. I think my mum caught onto the fact that she could never change me and she just learned that I was going to be who I was whether she liked it or not. I was never an overly rebellious child though because I always let her know when I drank, smoked, or tried a drug (which was rare anyway, I'm against that shit) since we both agreed on being opened with each other. This helped a lot as a kid since I never felt like I couldn't talk to her about something. I still have the same line of communication with her so I'm lucky in that regard.

Reactions: JGirl
IXTJ. Our home was completely dominated by T-J orientation. Neither parent had a handle on why I was so "sensitive."

I managed to be too insensitive and too sensitive at the same time.
If I had to guess mom INTP (she did the MBTI for a careers thing and got priest or artist in her own words), she was very family orientated, adopted all these pets and things, never cleaned was moapy all the time and seething some kind of grumpy martyrdom , dad ENFJ (the enthusiastic social reformer) Both of them totally lost in their own worlds and utterly unpractical. I had to take some of that taking care of business side on as a child.
Mom wanted me to be a kind of an ISFJ. Dad a social reformer, like him.
I was basically a maid and a babysitter, unpaid. Invisible. Sad stuff.

I was raised to be an INTJ as my parents thought that type to be the ideal. I'm glad that didn't pan out as that's just not me at all. :smile:

Last edited:
I have an ISTJ mother and an INFJ father. The interesting thing is, i havent known my father for 17 years, but i am really similar to him, more than my mother who raised me. She tried to make me more S i think. She always said, i should respect blue collar work more, and maybe do something like that for a living. Value money more and these kind of things, but she didn't leave any impact, which i find really interesting. I wonder, what if my father raise me? I guess I would be INFJ too but much much more Ni, like i invent a new religion or something.