What type were you raised to be | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

What type were you raised to be

Through circumstances beyond much of my family's control... I was probably raised to think and act like an INTJ.

Reactions: Gaze and Sandie33
I'm unsure really. My parents have always said I was too confrontational and that I couldn't accept authority.
They hated that I questioned everything and everyone, but I guess that's normal behaviour for a teenager.

I still find it hard to behave according to the social hierarchy, so I'm as polite to the farmer down the street
who always strikes up a conversation with me, as I am with my professors. Respect is earned through actions,
not titles. (Even though the two can correlate.)

I think they're somewhat proud of me, and because of the changes I've gone through.
My mother recently told me they [my parents] had been talking about how I had changed so much, in such a short time,
and that my highschool teachers wouldn't recognize me, as I have become more driven.

They still don't like it that I'm confrontational however, and still think I analyse too much when in a debate.
They'd prefer it if I just 'let things be', which is kind of a flaw. I cannot stop discussing something until I know the truth.

Now, having written all that down, it makes me wonder: who's going to read this anyway?
Anyway, have fun doing so, I guess.

Reactions: Gaze
THIS::m082:

Edit - I should also add that it shocks the hell out of my friends and co-workers when this really laid-back, soft spoken person turns into a hard-assed, "shut the hell up and get it done!" type of person.

revert to an ENTJ in a more work-oriented environment where there's something that needs to be done a certain way by a certain time in a certain manner

What type were you raised to be. I was thinking about this today, that many of us were probably raised as different types than we are, which probably explains some of our difficulties or struggles growing. We were expected to act or behave as different types, so we suppressed our own natural tendencies or preferences for what was more socially acceptable or valid.

For example, I'm definitely a Feeler (Fi) but family(in some ways), church, and school were a very TJ environment. I was Fi, when most of the other kids were Fe. Sensitivity as a trait was not the most widely embraced. I think I began to express more T traits when I realised Fi was not understood or acceptable trait. My Te has been a savior of sorts. When I operated in Te, it allowed me to balance Fi. And because I was reserved, a bit of a "loner", high introversion was conflicted with the expectations of being socially outgoing. So, extraversion was definitely seen as the better, more desirable one of the two. However, if you expressed too much extraversion or Fe, people thought you were too much.

So, I was raised to value and adopt a more ENTJ, INTJ or ISTJ persona. I think I would've had an easier time if I was an INFJ.

How about you, what type were you raised to be.
I find it difficult to cope with my family's lack of planning. They are the "winging" type otherwise known as the P's. My mother raised me to be an INTJ/INTP but I've been more of a "Feeler" under all that undertaking. Everyone is intuitive so that isn't a problem. Neither is Extroversion from my sister and father. My sister's raised me to be an INFP I do think my father raised to be an ISTP he's an ESFJ.

I was raised to be an ESxP. I was expected to be good at sports, bold and extrovert. The only thing I was semi-okay at is sports, and the rest are just ..nevermind.

Reactions: Gaze and Scientia
I was left alone. My parents always helped me when I needed it. My mother told me she loved me. Tried to hug me but realised early on I think that's didn't work well.

I became who I became on my own for the most part.

When I first typed-in at the ripe old age of fifteen. I was borderline INFJ/INFP. But the test administrator had me read both descriptions and I immediately knew that I was an INFJ. The INFP description just didn't ring true for me (at all). So yea... I was told that my initial test results could be skewed slightly because both of my parents are perceivers. And having spent so much time with them... I certainly was rather adaptable back then.

Reactions: Gaze and Scientia
I was raised to be as I am. My parents are the standards I hold for many people, often to my detriment, it seems. Words cannot explain or do justice to how wonderful, accepting and loving my parents are; not only to my brother and I, but to the world.

I was a very withdrawn, introverted and moody child, so my mom had a hard time trying to deal with my emotional state. She had a harder time with my ENFJ brother when we were in our teens, though. :grin:

What a super insightful question!

My Ni was definitely seen and highly encouraged by both parents and my extended family and church community as a child and youth, which I'm extremely thankful for. However, my Fe was not encouraged by my mom at all. My mom (ESFJ) came from an extremely dysfunctional and broken upbringing, so she has a lot of emotional immaturity, attachment issue and narcissistic traits: she is Fe dominant and would NOT allow for anyone else in our family to express their Fe-ness. She needed complete ownership over that function. This is unfortunate because both my dad (ISFJ) and I have Fe secondary in our type.

So, I wasn't allowed to safely extrovert my feeling: my brain did the next best (and safest) thing, went to my third function, Ti, but extroverted it to balance out my Ni. If I could make my feelings look and sound like thoughts, it was safe to express them (and no, I was not conscious of this as a little kid), I didn't choose it, it just happened). It wasn't until I was out of the house that I was really able to develop and express my Fe, which is my preference. Freedom!

With that said, I have a very strong Te and am occasionally mistaken for an INTJ. And to my Fe-dom Mom, I was "very rational" and belonged more in the NT family. Though she definitely sees me as an INFJ now.

Can't remember where I read this, but I was reading about the development of cognitive stacks and there was mention of the 3rd function developing earlier in a person's life if trauma or the environment makes it unsafe to use your secondary function. That's exactly what I've experienced, except my cognition very much avoided the Ni-Ti loop, encouraging me to develop a stronger than usual Te to balance out Ni. I know there are people here that might find this to be bunk---but I believe it's a very strong and compelling hypothesis for my cognitive development. And playing with theories is fun. :)