Product Obtained
Retired Staff
Nov 12, 2008
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2 sx/so/sp
So I just randomly remembered this.

Last semester, I had a course in philospy (epistomolgy & metaphysics). We watched a clip of the matrix to emphaise an argument by decartes.

Anyway. The part shown was when the character takes the red pill to see what really exsists, but he could have also taken the blue pill and remain blissfully unaware. Our professer asked us what we would choose, and I was extremly surprized that over 75% of the people said they would take the blue pill and remain unaware. That totally shocked me, I really don't understand (well ok I do, but I just dosen't fit with me at all.) why people would ignore it. What would you choose, and are you surprized by the ammount of people who would choose to remain unaware? I sure was shocked.

Ignorance is bliss, as seen worldwide. Reality is harsh, delusion is cushy.

Ignorance is bliss, as seen worldwide. Reality is harsh, delusion is cushy.

Yes, I understand that. Yet, at the same time, I don't understand that. I am not one to sweep things under the rug. "I don't understand" is a bad choice of words I guess, but I can't think of anything else to say it.

It did shock me to read that but then I started thinking about what choice my co-workers would make and I'm sure 75% or maybe more would take the blue pill.
Most of the time I feel like I've already taken the red pill.

Maybe it's more of a question of: What difference would it make? If the real world is abysmal and there was absolutely nothing you could do about it or even affect it, would you really want to know the truth, would you want to live the truth?

Ultimately, you would be the only thing changed (and maybe a few people around you). If it's going to be the same whether you knew the truth or not, I can see why people would take the blue pill.

I probably would take the red pill, just because I have to experience everything for myself, I myself would need to know.

The funny thing is about the pills you place yourself into the world of the Matrix.

There was only one person that actually meant anything in the story and he only appeared once out of every X amount of generations.

So the question is Are you Neo? Or are you a supporter of zion for the day maybe Neo finally wins (Matrix 3).

If those 2 options doesn't seem appealing I guess you would take the blue pill.

Not so much a fan of the Matrix 2 or 3, but the first one rocked! :D

I totally would have taken the red pill. It would have haunted me the rest of my life knowing that I could have found out the truth about life and didn't - most likely because I was scared. I couldn't have lived with that. I have to know the truth! It's an uncontrollable desire of mine. (Though I would definitely question whether I was actually out of the Matrix - I mean, Neo would have drowned were it not for outside help. The fact that the first "The One" survived on his own just seems to be evidence that it was a secondary "fail safe" Matrix for the dissenters. Illusion of choice, really. Like I said, I have to know the truth!)

Depends, would I know what the outside world is before taking the pill? (because a rainy world of robots and slime would instantly make me take the blue pill)

I just could not live a lie. If someone told me this world is not real, I would hesitate to see the truth, no matter how horrible it is.

It did shock me to read that but then I started thinking about what choice my co-workers would make and I'm sure 75% or maybe more would take the blue pill.

I agree with every word of this -- from the coworkers to the notion that in a lot of ways I feel I've already taken the red one as well....

Life is nothing more than perception. We know what we can perceive.

I would love to know. But more important to me is to be happy and content.

I dunno which I would choose. It would be hard for me...

For me, there wouldn't be a choice: I'd have to take the red pill. Especially if I discovered that my reality was a lie.

Then I'd probably go the Neo route and try to awaken everyone to the truth while kickin' virtual butt in the Matrix!

I think another question might be this: If you *did* take the red pill and saw the truth, could you handle it? Or would you become like the jaded traitor, Cypher, yearning to return to the "blue pill" days?

I wouldn't think harshly of those who initially took the red pill and then couldn't handle the reality, and then went back into the matrix.

I know I'd take the red pill, but after that, I can't honestly say I wouldn't want to go back into the matrix. I think it also matters where you are in life when considering this question. If I were single, didn't have my husband and daughter, I could better handle being in the reality. But, being a mother and wife, I don't know that I can honestly say I could watch my loved ones suffer by staying in the reality (assuming I woke them up).

...Not in the least surprising. 75% of our population are sensors!

Maybe. I'd be kinda pissed. I finally think I'm starting to figure this shit out, then I realize it's all fake. D: But living in ignorant bliss isn't something I enjoy. I'd probably pop the blue pill... But they'd have to let me drink a bit before hand to get ready for the ride.

We were also watching the Matrix in Philosophy class and I stick with my choice as last time. Ok alright I won't. I picked taking the blue pill. Now, I am not too sure. I haven't experienced everything yet. ( Due to the fact that I am young.) Maybe if i experienced everything that I wanted to, maybe then I would like to take the red pill. But, if i had to choose right now, I would take the blue pill.

Last edited:
We were also watching the Matrix in Philosophy class and I stick with my choice as last time. Ok alright I won't. I picked taking the red pill. Now, I am not too sure. I haven't experienced everything yet. ( Due to the fact that I am young.) Maybe if i experienced everything that I wanted to, maybe then I would like to take the blue pill. But, if i had to choose right now, I would take the red pill.

:thumb:

I think I've already taken something like a red pill, in comparison to other people I know.

I don't like it that much. I get way too restless way too easily. I mean, I'd love to know, but knowing doesn't change circumstance. Then, after knowing, there's nothing more to do than to dwell on it...

If things do not change, then taking the blue pill would mean I would continue on my personal path, at least partially blissfully unaware...but the red pill would probably kill my ability to be happy with where I am and what I can do

Me too.

But I don't feel like I was given a choice.