What is love? | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

What is love?

http://www.urbanmonk.net/135/love-sorrow-and-attachment/

this is something I think everyone should read. Made me realise a lot of things and I'm not even done reading yet.Credit goes to the person who posted the link to lonliness from the same site. I cant remember who and which thread it was but its in here somewhere. Anyway, enjoy the read :D

Nice read, but I think being happy your SO cheated on you, because it makes them happy, is a little outrageous.

an obligation.

an obligation.

That says so little to say so much and leave so much unspoken. In action, maybe an "obliging"?

Last edited:
love is the conscious choice to accept a person despite their often times numerous flaws. there are many different layers to love, such as sex, relationships and the such, but I believe in choosing to accept someone rather than simply tolerate them, we are participating in the act of love

When you feel in LOVE, no words can describe it and no numbers can measure it. Proves that love is unexplainable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you selling bridal stuff here??

It was too funny to just delete.

So I'm leaving it with dead links.

Also, never quote a spambot/spammer.

Are you selling bridal stuff here??

Who are you talking to? Also, can you restart my computer? It seems to have gotten a virus. Can you fix that, please? Send me an email if you can't. I also could use a word or two to help me remember what the op post was about. Sorry, but my mind is kinda full of shadows right now.\

- I tend to drink a lot.

It was too funny to just delete.

So I'm leaving it with dead links.

Also, never quote a spambot/spammer.
Why? What happens? It was kinda surreal, actually. A bridal spammer posting in a thread about love. It intrigued me..

I will eventually read the op...
Either way... I finally got a post in right after yours... hahaha

Reactions: acd
Why? What happens? It was kinda surreal, actually. A bridal spammer posting in a thread about love. It intrigued me..

Because you quote the links as well.

Nice read, but I think being happy your SO cheated on you, because it makes them happy, is a little outrageous.
Agreed. That kind of detachment can hurt quite badly in a relationship. There is a self-invested form of attachment associated with love that can result in someone committing suicide when cheated on that is unhealthy. Withholding vulnerability can actually be a form of attachment to self - to protect oneself from hurt.

Compassion is an important part of Buddhism. I don't think the article had a full understanding of the kind of detachment the Buddha taught. I am only still learning. When a person is free from the kind of attachment associated with a sense of entitlement, then they are more open to show compassion. They don't need to take as much and are therefore freer to give.

When I think of love (or feel love[d]) I think of being happy and safe.

Yup, that's all I got to say about that.

I do not understand 'love' as a romantic form.The most reoccuring form of it seems to be that someone who 'loves' you with spend a lot of time with you, 'care' about you, and of course commence in intercourse with you. I can somewhat understand the aspect of sex that is appealing. It is a biological function programmed into every living creature to further the species; it is also pleasurable to commence in these acts for most human beings, so it does make sense that sex is such a popular concept today. The part which usually confuses me is the correlation between love and sex. I understand the act of sex; perhaps not the feelings, but the actual act. Insert penis in vagina. Yes, that is perfectly clear. Love is not clear to me. It is an abstract concept that is 'felt' rather than seen for most people. I do not go on and on about someone's love for me or my love for them; I do not even understand this. Apparently there is a bond or connection between two people in love that is greater than anything else. To me, this sounds like the idea of suggestion of thought. I believe that if you think these things enough, it will appear to you that way. It has been said that love is madness; which I would agree to, because it seems to make no sense at all. The physical gratification of love making seems more sensible than the emotional gratification of love.

I've never heard that but I like it. :)

I can't speak for everyone, but personally once I have given my complete and honest love to someone, I can never take it back, no matter the hurt or the pain loving a person might cause me. I will always care, always think of them, always hope for them, and always want the best for them, even if we never see each other again.

I've been hurt numerous times by people I love, but I just can not seize to love. That being said, I don't let love be used as an excuse for someone to hurt me. You can only be hurt by someone so much before you have to walk away, no matter how much you love them. It is true, that sometimes love isn't enough.

Love can conquer all inside of an individual person. It can help you see past all flaws and to the core of an individual, but it can only do that for the one loving. I hope this makes sense but I feel like love can change the lover, not the loved. The loved has to let their own love as a lover change them. (And I don't mean lover in a romantic sense)

Did that make sense?

I was going to say the same thing! Love is unconditional and eternal.
"In love" is different from "love", I think. I'm "in love" with my husband and I'm "in love" with my child. To me, the "in love" is a point where you give your life over completely to that person, without a second thought and know you are going to be completely safe. So often do I feel that people don't understand that type of love, so they assume they're "in love", get married, the fall out of love and divorce or suffer going through the motions for society's sake instead of their own. I believe once you've fallen in, you can't fall out. It doesn't work that way. If you've never genuinely been "in love", you can easily think you are when you aren't. But, when you are, there is absolutely no question.

And there are so many people I have loved that have hurt me, or I have distanced myself from, but I still care for them. I think of them regularly. Old friends that stabbed me in the back or were mean to others. My ex-fiance that controlled, manipulated, and abused me. I may have loved them, which is why I never hurt them, but they didn't love me back. That's why they were able to hurt me without a thought. I still think of them regularly and pray that they are now the good people I always knew they could be. I think it's because when we love someone, we love the good in them and our love is a kind of hope and faith. I pray that they now have the love for someone that I had/have for them and maybe that will help them find peace.

I was going to say the same thing! Love is unconditional and eternal.
"In love" is different from "love", I think. I'm "in love" with my husband and I'm "in love" with my child. To me, the "in love" is a point where you give your life over completely to that person, without a second thought and know you are going to be completely safe. So often do I feel that people don't understand that type of love, so they assume they're "in love", get married, the fall out of love and divorce or suffer going through the motions for society's sake instead of their own. I believe once you've fallen in, you can't fall out. It doesn't work that way. If you've never genuinely been "in love", you can easily think you are when you aren't. But, when you are, there is absolutely no question.

And there are so many people I have loved that have hurt me, or I have distanced myself from, but I still care for them. I think of them regularly. Old friends that stabbed me in the back or were mean to others. My ex-fiance that controlled, manipulated, and abused me. I may have loved them, which is why I never hurt them, but they didn't love me back. That's why they were able to hurt me without a thought. I still think of them regularly and pray that they are now the good people I always knew they could be. I think it's because when we love someone, we love the good in them and our love is a kind of hope and faith. I pray that they now have the love for someone that I had/have for them and maybe that will help them find peace.

You! Get out of my head right now! Where did you come from, and who sent you?! LOL. Why the heck don't I have girl friends like you? Oh that's right... 1% of the population. Damn!

Love is the kind that exists in fairy tales, where one finds 'the one' and lives happily forever in eternity. When one can merely look into each others eyes and see the glimpses and sparks - and just know! Also, it is when no harm is done upon the other person, because truly loving someone would mean that one does not want to hurt the other.

Other than that I fully agree with uberrogo:
When I think of love (or feel love[d]) I think of being happy and safe.

Last edited:
Caught my attention on twitter today:

"Love is the extremely difficult realisation that something other than oneself is real."