What Genres of books do you like reading? do you recommend any? | INFJ Forum

What Genres of books do you like reading? do you recommend any?

Odyne

===========
Banned
Aug 19, 2009
MBTI
Enneagram
Just share with us what kind of books do you like reading as in what genres, fiction, sci-fi- fantasy etc. and recommend a book from that genre if you have one or if you have a favourite.

it's a nice way to share knowledge and interests. ;)

p.s. i am a bookworm and i like discovering new genres and scopes of subjects to read about hehe

My favourite genre is Philosophy and what ever discusses Human Nature and Human Traits.
I recommend The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho, and The Plague by Albert Camus

enjoy!

Personally I like beat literature. The classic examples being Howl by Ginsberg, Naked Lunch by Burroughs, and On the Road by Kerouac.

nonfiction,

usually science.

Gothic horror. Short stories include:

Edgar Allan Poe
Fall of the House of Usher
The Tell Tale Heart
The Cask of Amontillado

Washington Irving
Legend of Sleepy Hollow

Bram Stoker
Dracula

Reactions: Bird
WOW I was seriously going to start a book recommendation thread today! :m197:

I love reading! I read about 10 books a week...granted they are not heady, or smart...they are just fun I must be entertained to read! SO as for recommendations and favorite genre well its just fiction, I love supernatural fiction most, but fiction in general.

A couple of my personal favorites!

Crooked Little Vein by Warren Ellis
- This is sort of an all around awesome PI type thriller. I picked this book up in the new releases section at my local Barns and Noble, I read the back and thought I could take it or leave it. THen I read the first line...I burst out into a full out gut busting laugh till I cried!!! I bought the book instantly after several heated looks from the rest of the quiet store!
"I woke this morning to a rat taking a piss in my coffee cup." From there it just gets better and better, I laughed so hard through this book, it took me an extra day just to finish it!

If you could see my not - Cecilia Ahern - This book has idealist dream written all over it...Basically its about a stoic, middle aged shell of a woman who sees and falls for an imaginary friend. He teaches her how to see the world in color again, to find passion, love, and her inner child.

On the supernatual side my current favorite is
Undead and unwed by Mary Janice Davidson - This is a story about a woman who on her 30th birthday looses her job, her cat runs away, and she dies. Only to wake up two days later wearing a kmart suit and payless shoes (did I mentions shes a bit materialistic) She is livid knowing what her step monster (mother) dressed her in for her own funeral and sets off to find her prada! And subsequently try to kill her self...again. Only to learn that shes a vampire...and when she is found by the local horde of vamps she laughes in their faces and calls them cliche! Another one I busted a gut through the whole story!

Last edited:
anything goes with me ^-^
fiction, biographies, histories, short stories, plays, thrillers, chick lit, philosophy, comic-style/manga, romance, fantasy, mystery, etc.

i particularly like psychological fiction, though, and well-written stories about time travel for some reason.

lol, well i guess i'm in the minority on the non-fiction thing, but yeah:

nonfiction by (1) David Foster Wallace (2) Mark Kurlansky (3) whichever philosopher interests me most that night... from Jan Assmann (yeah, he can be a philosopher!) to Galen Strawson.

Yeah, I read a lot of non-fiction. Books on psychology, training, film making and theory...

Oh and Batman comics

Last edited:
I used to be a huge fantasy nut until fairly recently, when I realised I was wasting my time reading some pretty substandard fare when I could have been reading things that didn't suck. :/

Anyway, here's a list of favourites I posted over on globalchatter:

Fiction:

The Discworld series - Terry Pratchett
The Farseer trilogy/The Tawny Man trilogy - Robin Hobb
The Dragonlance Chronicles - Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman
Good Omens - Neil Gaiman & Terry Pratchett
The Word and the Void trilogy - Terry Brooks
The Old Man and the Sea - Ernest Hemingway
Slaughterhouse 5 - Kurt Vonnegut
The Lord of the Rings trilogy - J.R.R. Tolkien
Various books by David Gemmell, (especially "Waylander", Wolf in Shadow", "Legend" & "White Wolf").
Practically anything by Roald Dahl
Watchmen - Alan Moore
The Woman in White - Wilkie Collins
Various short stories by Hans Christian Andersen
The Wheel of Time series - Robert Jordan
The Prince of Nothing series - R. Scott Bakker
Black Beauty

I've read the Alchemist, and a few weeks ago I was trying to read the Plague by Camus.
I didn't finish it because it was going too slow, I had taken the french version of it because I wanted to improve my french <.<.
I'm going to read it sooner or later. I just finished Animal Farm by George Orwell.
This was a very short book but I liked it, and I've started in 1984.
I've never read the book but I've seen the movie in school.

I've read the Alchemist, and a few weeks ago I was trying to read the Plague by Camus.
I didn't finish it because it was going too slow, I had taken the french version of it because I wanted to improve my french <.<.
I'm going to read it sooner or later. I just finished Animal Farm by George Orwell.
This was a very short book but I liked it, and I've started in 1984.
I've never read the book but I've seen the movie in school.
1984 is great, possibly my favorite novel.

I like fiction with realistic characters. For example, the book could be a boy with magic powers but he has real human flaws. The character's personality itself is realistic, that's what I love in a book. Characters are everything pretty much.

Sorry for the double post but I recommend "Tuesdays with Morrie" it's a great book that teaches you about life and has great quotes, my signature even has some of those quotes as well.

I like any genre apart from romance.

Favourites include:

Nobody true - James Herbert
The amber chronicles - roger zelazny
The gap series - Stephen Donaldson
The rigante series - David gemmel
The einstein factor - win wenger
Using your brain for a change - Richard bandler
Good news bad news - David wolfenstein

And quite possibly the kite runner by khaled hosseini. I'm about half way through it now and I'm hooked

Not romance.
Not mystery.

I can make a better list later.

i enjoy and recommend anything available in penguin classics or penguin modern classics. if you read something you can go to a university library and look up a few articles on a database like JSTOR and print them off and learn about what you've read. i'm also getting deeper into literary and cultural theory and will hopefully graduate to the rank of tinker in philosophy by the age of 65.

Well, my favorite fall under the area of 'philosophical fiction', though having seen how often people like them, I wouldn't recommend any (except Ishmael, if you haven't read any Daniel Quinn). But I did love the Fountainhead and Steppenwolf.

Otherwise, most of the good books I've read have been high fantasy. Sci-fi is sometimes pretty good too. I keep grabbing bad ones though, so I can't recommend any at the moment.

i like sci fi, historical fantasies, horror, crime dramas, certain romances (that don't overdo it), comedy, many more.