What Genres of books do you like reading? do you recommend any? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

What Genres of books do you like reading? do you recommend any?

I'm really into the dark morbid type of novels, akin to The Lottery, http://www.classicshorts.com/stories/lotry.html ,while I prefer short stories, because I feel they pack more of a punch in shorter time; I will gladly consume the longer books. I'm also into detective books, I never got the fantasy genre, though.

I prefer fantasy--Calgon take me away!!

I really like the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan
Mercedes Lackey is one of my favorite authors
I also recommend Robert Ludlum-spy thrillers, esp Bourne books
I have read Laurel K Hamiliton but don't care for the Anita Blake stuff really
I like historical fiction as well: Favs include The Egyptian, Forever Amber and The Walking Drum (don't ask me about authors on these ones, I always forget)

I just picked up Brent Weeks books on the Way of Shadows trilogy and liked it.

I read non-fiction and go thru stages--right now am reading on the Enneagram and Jung <a little light reading and just for fun>

Last edited:
I'm pretty strictly scifi/fantasy for entertainment reading; In these I'd recommend Forge of God by Greg Bear and George R.R. Martin's fire and ice series. Currently re-reading the whole wheel of time, too, in preparation for the last two books coming out on kindle.

Sci Fi.. lately.

Particuliarly Octavia Butler Sci Fi..
Major themes I've noted so far are sexuality, racial diversity/racism, dynamics and implications of power.
All expressed through her own creation of worlds and beings, and the complex sociological concepts to go with them...

She's pretty much the first Sci Fi author I've read... A friend of mine taking a Women's Studies course was assigned to read Parable of the Sower by Butler, and she recommended the novel to me.. Starting out, I'd recommend the Lilith's Brood series and the Seed to Harvest Series.

I'm really wanting to find some more Sci Fi by woman authors.. so if anybody has any to recommend: yay!

Philosophy and most of the classics. I don't have the stomach of patience for most modern non-fiction.

I've read books by Thich Nhat Han and the Dalai Lama as well as Henry David Thoreau over the past year. Right around Halloween, I like to pick up some Edgar Allen Poe and around Christmas, I pick up Charles Dickens just to set the mood.

I read self help type books, they are productive....open to suggestion if anyone knows any.
Posted via Mobile Device

Just share with us what kind of books do you like reading as in what genres, fiction, sci-fi- fantasy etc. and recommend a book from that genre if you have one or if you have a favourite.

it's a nice way to share knowledge and interests. ;)

p.s. i am a bookworm and i like discovering new genres and scopes of subjects to read about hehe

My favourite genre is Philosophy and what ever discusses Human Nature and Human Traits.
I recommend The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho, and The Plague by Albert Camus

enjoy!
Hi. I think if you like coelho, you might find some fascination in natasha mostert. how to categorize her genre: hmmm . very fiction. lots of asian, eastern, martial philosophy (she says she trains in martial arts and is in a fight club)i hate to pigeonhole her because of that. she mixes alot of gaelic mythology with asian, some times there are witches, once there was a qi(chi)vampire. suck one's life energy, not blood; could be the same thing; different name, different cultures.
there's always christopher moore.

also recommend anything available in norton critical edition. these are superb! faber & faber, and broadview, i think are also first class presses. if you want to buy an actual beautiful book (in the collectible object sense) go for these over penguin as whenever i read a penguin they're full of typos, and the print rubs off under my fingers, and the spines crack! they are cheap and i think it is because they are cheaply made! i noticed that broadview even has messages on their covers about the sustainability of their paper sourcing. but it doesn't make any real difference to the content.

i always feel a bit crestfallen when i hear that people revere books like the alchemist, or the old man and the sea. these books are ok and totally benign but mainly just that i think. not toxic in any way (like eg twilight BLECH), just heartwarming and banal. think of it this way: the essential message of the alchemist is: what you are looking for is right in front of you; the journey is the meaningful component of the search; you have everything you need to appreciate life. this message is valid, but there is precious little creativity or newness about it, and a book that has nothing else to say but this, has mediocre artistic value. this book has sold a totally obscene number of copies considering the limitations of its content. it is a pleasant starting point for a person to begin reading, i would urge anyone who enjoyed it to continue discovering literature. read something that challenges you and makes you think, there are so many fascinating things to learn out there.

I'm a sci-fi/fantacy type of girl, however I love it all the more when there's some satire in there as well.

I love Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels I can read them over and over again quite happily and always get something new out of them. I also love how they make me feel. Philip Pullman's 'His Dark Materials' was also good, as well as everything by Jasper Fforde.
as for Sci-fi, I like the old stuff, H. G. Wells, Arthur C. Clark and so on. lots of good stuff there. I also don't mind historical fiction/non-fiction.

Fiction:
I am the Messenger by Marcus Zusak
The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein
Looking for Alaska by John Green

Non:
The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle
Transform your Life by Gyatso
When Things Fall Apart by Pema Chodron

I like fashion/ style books. Also I like books on manipulating people without speaking.

Historical fiction rocks!! Once I got started I was hooked. The best part is that it's a wide arena with endless subject matter. Once you find a niche it's easy to find other books written in that time period, for instance, Tudor England.

One of my all time favorites is Katherine by Anya Seyton.

i always feel a bit crestfallen when i hear that people revere books like the alchemist, or the old man and the sea. these books are ok and totally benign but mainly just that i think. not toxic in any way (like eg twilight BLECH), just heartwarming and banal. think of it this way: the essential message of the alchemist is: what you are looking for is right in front of you; the journey is the meaningful component of the search; you have everything you need to appreciate life. this message is valid, but there is precious little creativity or newness about it, and a book that has nothing else to say but this, has mediocre artistic value. this book has sold a totally obscene number of copies considering the limitations of its content. it is a pleasant starting point for a person to begin reading, i would urge anyone who enjoyed it to continue discovering literature. read something that challenges you and makes you think, there are so many fascinating things to learn out there.

The Alchemist. BLAH. I felt the same way when reading the book... "When is this damn thing gonna get good?"

to be honest, i don't read much anymore.

I only read critical historical studies on a few choice subjects. I find this highly compelling. I'm not into the history for the sake of history really, but I use what I learn in forming my own awarenesses for today. It has been hugely important to me over the years.