What (Ennea)type do I come across as? | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

What (Ennea)type do I come across as?

What type(s) am I?

• Total voters
I think you, TDHT, and BlinkandThink are seeing type 4 because that's my self-image and what I will project when you ask me what kind of person I am. I've been overly concerned with my self-image lately.
It's part of the variable too; our self image and what we (in overall) shows and projects to others can show what your Enneagram is. Hmm; about projections, tell me, what do you notice when observing / judging someone, and what do you took into consideration whether someone's a friend or not? And then, why would you think so?

I have a few reasons why I've decided I'm not a 4, but the main one is that I had to go through a year long existential crisis before I 'woke up' to this truth about me. It's hard to be concerned about protecting myself from dangers in the environment when I've gone through a nearly suicidal phase, I think. (Not suicidal now, for the record.)

ETA:

I didn't notice the bolded until now, but I was very self-conscious until around 14-15 or so when I realized no one really cared that much. Now I'd consider myself self-conscious, but not shy and very okay with being open.
What is ETA, if I may ask?
:( *hugs* I'm glad you've been better now :D
but that might be part of the answer; maybe you're still in the process-- ugh, so to speak, by life events (especially now, based on your actions, you're really trying to grow yourself) your state of mind were, in some kind of another, are evolving? It's rare, but not impossible for experience to affect one's Enneagram, or at least their current perception of it.

Last edited:
It's part of the variable too; our self image and what we (in overall) shows and projects to others can show what your Enneagram is. Hmm; about projections, tell me, what do you notice when observing / judging someone, and what do you took into consideration whether someone's a friend or not? And then, why would you think so?
When observing someone, I usually notice how sure of themselves they are, how expressive, what kinds of things interest them, and whether they mind making a fool of themselves. When judging, it's usually a matter of how smart a person seems or how shallow the conversations they carry are. Also how quick to be a douchebag is something I judge pretty quickly.

I think I tend to be looking for someone out of the ordinary, but in mind rather than behavior. I think I subconsciously gauge how I should behave by how the person I'm talking to behaves in that I often feel that expression and depth of conversation is cheapened in the light of people who don't really appreciate it or would make a joke about it. I've been trying to lead people I socialize with into deeper waters, but I guess that's reserved for closer relationships.

What is ETA, if I may ask?
Editted to add (actually picked it up from arbygil not long after I joined here)

:( *hugs* I'm glad you've been better now :D
but that might be part of the answer; maybe you're still in the process-- ugh, so to speak, by life events (especially now, based on your actions, you're really trying to grow yourself) your state of mind were, in some kind of another, are evolving? It's rare, but not impossible for experience to affect one's Enneagram, or at least their current perception of it.
Thanks. It's a precarious position between evolving and reverting, I think. I realized about 6-12 months ago that what I was losing interest in regarding video games was just the game aspect, whereas the stories (if they're good) affect me greatly still. Knowing that, I can either take a few steps back into fantasy or I can continue my trek into reality. Err, I guess this relates because it says a lot about what kinds of things are important to me? Perhaps there really wasn't anything to say about this.

Last edited:
When observing someone, I usually notice how sure of themselves they are, how expressive, what kinds of things interest them, and whether they mind making a fool of themselves. When judging, it's usually a matter of how smart a person seems or how shallow the conversations they carry are. Also how quick to be a douchebag is something I judge pretty quickly.

I think I tend to be looking for someone out of the ordinary, but in mind rather than behavior. I think I subconsciously gauge how I should behave by how the person I'm talking to behaves in that I often feel that expression and depth of conversation is cheapened in the light of people who don't really appreciate it or would make a joke about it. I've been trying to lead people I socialize with into deeper waters, but I guess that's reserved for closer relationships.
I see.. how about their connections to you? What criteria are you judging them with, as far as you're concerned?

Editted to add (actually picked it up from arbygil not long after I joined here)
Ah, thanks :)

Thanks. It's a precarious position between evolving and reverting, I think. I realized about 6-12 months ago that what I was losing interest in regarding video games was just the game aspect, whereas the stories (if they're good) affect me greatly still. Knowing that, I can either take a few steps back into fantasy or I can continue my trek into reality.

At this point, I'd jump back into fantasy, but I feel like I'm wasting my college opportunity if I don't force myself to socialize. It's not that I feel drained by socializing to the degree I have been doing, it's that the people here I've contacted thus far have been mostly people with lives split between classes they don't want to talk about and a social life involving either partying, sports, career enhancement, or random 'funny' stuff that doesn't appeal to my tastes in humor. My social needs would be met easily without this, because I've know a couple of intellectual types who like talking about philosophy and other stuff. But I digress...
We're the same with games. *laughs*
Well, as far as evolving were concerned, sometimes it also mean taking a step back to take two steps forward. :)

About social life...hmmm. So you're saying you have high preference to connect with people personally, in a sense of having people with matching interests? Seems like sx variant to me.

I see.. how about their connections to you? What criteria are you judging them with, as far as you're concerned?
Oh, that. Well, that'd have to be how much our personalities mesh together, how much we share the same interests, and, once those are decided to be similar enough, how many experiences we've shared openly. Then again, I've become good friends with people who just seem to like me despite us not having much in common. I guess this gets into emotional connections which just seem to work despite any logic I'm aware of. I'm not sure I'm getting this question right. Are you asking how I decide I'm close with someone?

About social life...hmmm. So you're saying you have high preference to connect with people personally, in a sense of having people with matching interests? Seems like sx variant to me.
sx variant? I guess so. For whatever reason, I haven't had a relationship yet, so I'm not so sure it's sx over sp. And yes, I very much want personal connections. But then again, doesn't everyone? What's the alternative? Having friends for show and social status? Connecting for connection's sake?

Also, I'm learning that just having matching interests isn't quite enough. Some people are just dull; it's like reading a textbook: interesting, but no connection. Then I worry that I'm that dull textbook, and so I try not to impose on others. But then if I'm expressive, I start getting really self-conscious if I don't get my desired reaction and I feel like I'm imposing. Anyway, I guess the point is that it's personality first, followed closely by interests. But if interests are incongruent, we'd never get to talk enough anyway.
------

ETA: Wait wait wait, I just realized something. If my type is supposed to be defined by my basic motivations and desires, doesn't that mean I will be satisfied or motivated to fulfill those? So am I lying to myself regarding competence or separation anxiety?

Sometimes I wonder how I can be so dense. Type 5 clearly makes no sense if that's the case, because I had problems when I was completely competent in the area I was working. And how are these personality traits supposed to arise from these basic motivators anyway? Now I remember why I had some serious problems with the Enneagram. Still, the discussion about me so far has been enlightening.

Maybe I'm actually 9w1-5w4-4w3? I could see a case for me not realizing that what I really need is more connection.

Last edited:
Oh, that. Well, that'd have to be how much our personalities mesh together, how much we share the same interests, and, once those are decided to be similar enough, how many experiences we've shared openly. Then again, I've become good friends with people who just seem to like me despite us not having much in common. I guess this gets into emotional connections which just seem to work despite any logic I'm aware of. I'm not sure I'm getting this question right. Are you asking how I decide I'm close with someone?
Yeah, so to speak. What made you attracted to them in the first place?

From your words I'm so going to put 4 and 5; at least concerning your attitude / view towards people. But I don't know which is the main.
sx variant? I guess so. For whatever reason, I haven't had a relationship yet, so I'm not so sure it's sx over sp. And yes, I very much want personal connections. But then again, doesn't everyone? What's the alternative? Having friends for show and social status? Connecting for connection's sake?

Also, I'm learning that just having matching interests isn't quite enough. Some people are just dull; it's like reading a textbook: interesting, but no connection. Then I worry that I'm that dull textbook, and so I try not to impose on others. But then if I'm expressive, I start getting really self-conscious if I don't get my desired reaction and I feel like I'm imposing. Anyway, I guess the point is that it's personality first, followed closely by interests. But if interests are incongruent, we'd never get to talk enough anyway.
Mmm, nope. sx variant isn't about relationship in the romantic sense but, more like knowing someone in the 'intimate' sense. You want to..not only know, but connect with them. Not that any other type doesn't need personal connections; we all do, to some extent. Only sx variant do so more frequent, more preference, and more expertise.

The way I see it, sx is all about the act of connecting personally. so, on the other hand, identifies oneself more with the 'group'. while sp variants relates others with oneself. YEAH, we all use three of them. :|

from the bolded part, you also seemed to have a so tendencies. sx/so variant?

ETA: Wait wait wait, I just realized something. If my type is supposed to be defined by my basic motivations and desires, doesn't that mean I will be satisfied or motivated to fulfill those? So am I lying to myself regarding competence or separation anxiety?

Sometimes I wonder how I can be so dense. Type 5 clearly makes no sense if that's the case, because I had problems when I was completely competent in the area I was working. And how are these personality traits supposed to arise from these basic motivators anyway? Now I remember why I had some serious problems with the Enneagram. Still, the discussion about me so far has been enlightening.

Maybe I'm actually 9w1-5w4-4w3? I could see a case for me not realizing that what I really need is more connection.
Not..exactly...defined per se. I would say it'd be the opposite. Our basic motivations is defining our types. But that's semantics. I also cannot say 'defined', because no, not all our problems always have the -same- motivation or desires as our Enneatype. With all the complexities of human, I don't think it's unnatural that every person has parts of the 9 Enneatypes inside, trifix aside (me myself am touching trifix with a 20-feet pole). Only that big part of our decision making is relied on one type, the way a painter may have a signature color theme, or a writer, signature styles.

(On another, possibly unrelated hand, I'm beginning to think of Enneagrams as what Jungian (and Freudian, iinm, but I'm leaning more towards Jungian) psychology is calling a 'complex', a set of thoughts that governed, controlled, and effected our thought pattern by itself)

On bolded part; what kind of problems are you talking about here? Most of the problems in type 5, as far as I'd seen, tends to be "This isn't enough." (There's bits of a personal bias here.) They always want to -know-, even when they might know compared to most people, they know better. It's all about self-development for the sake of self-development.

About personality traits and how it's developed...I'm personally saying that this is part of how our motivations are relating, conflicting, and compromising itself with the outside world. Defense mechanism, I'd say? That's why Enneagram tends to be VERY fluid, and for me, even more personal compared to MBTI. Yet it's best to keep it as that. This is something I'd been realizing only in myself, so I can't give much a credence over this; sometimes problems disguised themselves as another problem. What we thought was a problem, might actually another problem, only disguised. That's a part of why I always asked "why? WHY? is there something underneath?" when analyzing my own actions, but I totally digress...

Last edited:
Yeah, so to speak. What made you attracted to them in the first place?
If someone takes interest in me, that's the biggest one I guess. Dunno why, maybe I'm narcissistic. After that, it's either personality or positive similarity.

Oh, and I should add that this is after I've decided that someone is actually interested in me for who I am rather than for something I can give them.

Mmm, nope. sx variant isn't about relationship in the romantic sense but, more like knowing someone in the 'intimate' sense. You want to..not only know, but connect with them. Not that any other type doesn't need personal connections; we all do, to some extent. Only sx variant do so more frequent, more preference, and more expertise.
Well, I'd have to say that non-personal connections fall off rapidly when the other person stops contacting me. But I bolded the last because I wouldn't consider myself to be expert at this type of thing.

The way I see it, sx is all about the act of connecting personally. so, on the other hand, identifies oneself more with the 'group'.while sp variants relates others with oneself. YEAH, we all use three of them. :|
Well, sp is definitely over social if that's what it's about. I can't think of a group that I've identified with; even when I'm a part of a group, I don't feel as such. Also, I'm guessing the bolded is indicative of social because I'm concerned about how I'm perceived? Honestly, I had myself down for (and identify most with) sp/sx. But I wouldn't be surprised if that's just due to my withdrawn enneatype: I'm not sure how I can parse out which is instinct and which is personality.

I would say it'd be the opposite. Our basic motivations is defining our types.
Okay, I actually agree. What I meant by "type defined by motivations" is that I started with basic motivations, and that manifested as my enneatype.

On bolded part; what kind of problems are you talking about here? Most of the problems in type 5, as far as I'd seen, tends to be "This isn't enough." (There's bits of a personal bias here.) They always want to -know-, even when they might know compared to most people, they know better. It's all about self-development for the sake of self-development.
Well, when you put it that way... it's actually quite accurate that I want to become better, but I was referring to the idea that just being really good at what I did only made me painfully aware of how pointless what I was good at was. If you've already scaled the mountain, you have time to look around and notice that it's the wrong mountain.

@last point: Yep, I agree.

Last edited:
If someone takes interest in me, that's the biggest one I guess. Dunno why, maybe I'm narcissistic. After that, it's either personality or positive similarity.

Oh, and I should add that this is after I've decided that someone is actually interested in me for who I am rather than for something I can give them.

Well, sp is definitely over social if that's what it's about. I can't think of a group that I've identified with; even when I'm a part of a group, I don't feel as such. Also, I'm guessing the bolded is indicative of social because I'm concerned about how I'm perceived? Honestly, I had myself down for (and identify most with) sp/sx. But I wouldn't be surprised if that's just due to my withdrawn enneatype: I'm not sure how I can parse out which is instinct and which is personality.
Hmm, you might be right; it does seem like sp more than so; it's not about how you're concerned about being perceived, but more like how it has a feel of 'identity', and to be more precise, how the 'identity' related with someone else. I'm guessing either sp/sx or sx/sp. And taking your words at face value, it seems like there's elements of 4 in your words. buut.
And...well, instinct and personality are pretty intertwined, don't you think? ^^;

Well, when you put it that way... it's actually quite accurate that I want to become better, but I was referring to the idea that just being really good at what I did only made me painfully aware of how pointless what I was good at was. If you've already scaled the mountain, you have time to look around and notice that it's the wrong mountain.
so because you're aware it's pointless, you tried something else in hopes of getting it right this time?

You mentioned a 4 with a 3 wing as your trifix; do you feel happy, content, or satisfied when others see that you 'get it right'?

Reactions: KazeCraven
If someone doesn't appreciate me for who I am, it doesn't seem personal at all. I'm just replaceable: a cog, a decoration, a warm body.

so because you're aware it's pointless, you tried something else in hopes of getting it right this time?
Basically. In short, I thought I had to 'grow up', so I went down a road I thought would be serious, but then I ran into the wall of "wait, no, I don't want more of this, so I shouldn't be one of these." Now I'm trying to find the path that fulfills my own agenda rather than someone else's.

You mentioned a 4 with a 3 wing as your trifix; do you feel happy, content, or satisfied when others see that you 'get it right'?
A little, but it depends on what it is. I'd say getting it right in the grand scheme of things, like as in how I lived my life, rather than whether I figure out something. Getting into the trifix, apparently that's supposed to be just about my self-image. I don't want to just be who I am; I want to become the best me that I can become according to my own criteria of what is great, but paradoxically I want people to agree with that self-image regardless of whether they appreciate it or not.
-----

Anyway, I'd rather wait until I've had more time to reflect on this issue before I continue further with it.

Last edited:
If someone doesn't appreciate me for who I am, it doesn't seem personal at all. I'm just replaceable: a cog, a decoration, a warm body.
I agreed. :)
Anyway, I'd rather wait until I've had more time to reflect on this issue before I continue further with it.
Alright, Good luck :) I hope I haven't been intruding somewhere more then I supposed to.
I think you're in a growing phase too, so maaaaybe as the last intrusion, it'd be better to experience a little, try this and that a while until you feel pretty comfortable (or not comfortable enough) before continuing further.

I'm reviving this just because I hate having outdated information about me floating around.

Anyway, I've tried on the 5w4 hat for a while, and it doesn't describe me as well as enneagram 4 does. Sure, there are a few flaws with it, which is why I sought your input in the first place, but none of the types describe me exactly (surprise surprise!).

So... yeah. Guess there really isn't anything else to add.

ETA: Anyway, now that that's out of the way, I feel much better. Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Anyway, I've tried on the 5w4 hat for a while, and it doesn't describe me as well as enneagram 4 does. Sure, there are a few flaws with it, which is why I sought your input in the first place, but none of the types describe me exactly (surprise surprise!).

You vibe more of a head type to me. You may well be a Six. :wink:

Seriously, from what I have seen, people of your age are usually still developing. They may be affected by more external factors and hence not be able to see themselves clearly. Wait for a few years when you are a bit older then try to type yourself again.

:ranger:

Last edited:
Ok, sure. I can buy that.

But I'll be very surprised if I turned out to be a type 6 down the road.

Ok, sure. I can buy that.

But I'll be very surprised if I turned out to be a type 6 down the road.

Okay, I'm very surprised. I'm actually a type 6.

-my pursuit of meaning is at the core of a 6 personality; 6's have trouble with inner guidance
-my not knowing myself well is at the core of a 6 personality; 6's are contradictory
-my identification with 4 and 9 are (probably) due to having these in my tritype; 6's type as everything but 6's
-my identification with 5 is (probably) due to having a 5 wing; 6's with a 5wing tend to see themselves as 5's
-I didn't take the time to seriously consider 6 until I had it on good authority that I was such; 6's put lots of stock in trustworthy authority

Note that you will not likely find me in the descriptions of a type 6. I see myself as neither loyal nor responsible nor pessimistic nor skeptical nor overly anxious nor particularly concerned with financial/social security. But unlike with the 4, 5, and 9, my 6ish problems have been ongoing and will probably continue for the duration of my life.

This thread has been updated for the sake of countering disinformation.
Details may or may not be forthcoming as I explore the variations of type 6 and attempt to find fault with the Enneagram.

...yay, another 6. Come join the club...

that being said, I don't see you in classic 6 behaviour. Not that I'm saying you misjudged or something...

...yay, another 6. Come join the club...

that being said, I don't see you in classic 6 behaviour. Not that I'm saying you misjudged or something...

I don't see me in classic 6 behavior either, but it's really the only type whose pitfalls fit aside from 5, and I have it on good authority that I am actually a type 6. Type 5 was only fitting superficially, I think, and I'm pretty sure I have an adequate understanding to not fall into the error I made with type 4.

*nods*
Pitfalls?

So, 6w5~

-my identification with 4 and 9 are (probably) due to having these in my tritype; 6's type as everything but 6's
I'm curious about this. Can you explain more?

Oops. I should have said "6s type as everything including 6s."

Does that help? 6s have trouble with inner guidance, and they can be phobic or counterphobic, so their behavior can vary widely.

Oops. I should have said "6s type as everything including 6s."

Does that help? 6s have trouble with inner guidance, and they can be phobic or counterphobic, so their behavior can vary widely.

ah :) That I can understand. Yeah; >_>; how the phobic / counterphobic tendencies manifested differ variedly, and will offer differing result of a type. I've heard somewhere that counterphobic sixes are quite similar in appearance with Eights, but I can see how they can be similar with Fours, or Ones.