What (Ennea)type do I come across as? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

What (Ennea)type do I come across as?

What type(s) am I?

• Total voters
Oh, what I meant was that it was an un-vote. It was pointing me away, and not towards, though I can definitely understand you not taking the time to just sift through my posts.

Honestly, neither of them seem accurate, though the type 5 misidentification is less inaccurate.

ETA: the problem seems to be that almost all of them are pointing to emotions being too much or too risky. If there was a type that had a similar relationship with their emotions, but was more cerebral and less sure of their identity, that would be accurate.

ETA2: [MENTION=1601]Tulip[/MENTION]: oh, I have a question. Is it possible that because type 4 is my primary within the heart/image triad that I would identify with type 4 concerns and have type 4 traits (like pushing into emotions), even if type 4 was not my primary type, due to my heart/image triad not being primary? That wouldn't explain the issue regarding motivations and desires, but it might explain the overall self-identification with type 4.

If that's the case, that would mean that whatever my actual basic desires and motivations are, they are more or less outside of conscious awareness.

Last edited:
Oh, what I meant was that it was an un-vote. It was pointing me away, and not towards, though I can definitely understand you not taking the time to just sift through my posts.

Honestly, neither of them seem accurate, though the type 5 misidentification is less inaccurate.

ETA: the problem seems to be that almost all of them are pointing to emotions being too much or too risky. If there was a type that had a similar relationship with their emotions, but was more cerebral and less sure of their identity, that would be accurate.

I don't have problem spending time reading people's posts to have a better feel of their type...but I need to spread that reading across a period of time to see what pops up in my mind. I am Ni and Ne dominant and rely on my intuition much more than my Ti thinking.

I sense that there is a 9ish element in your online presentation. If you are not a core 9, it is highly likely that you have a 9 gut fix in your tritype.
http://***************.com/type-9-forum-peacemaker/8650-more-type-9-a.html#post189290

Last edited:
ETA2: @Tulip: oh, I have a question. Is it possible that because type 4 is my primary within the heart/image triad that I would identify with type 4 concerns and have type 4 traits (like pushing into emotions), even if type 4 was not my primary type, due to my heart/image triad not being primary? That wouldn't explain the issue regarding motivations and desires, but it might explain the overall self-identification with type 4.

If that's the case, that would mean that whatever my actual basic desires and motivations are, they are more or less outside of conscious awareness.

There are many reasons you can identify with 4 even if it is not your core type.
You could be having a 4 wing in your core type, or even having 4 or a 4 wing as your heart fix. 2s, NFs or having sexual first instinctual stacking may also identify with 4s.

5w4 or a 4 heart fix is a possibility in your case.

Last edited:
I don't have problem spending time reading people's posts to have a better feel of their type...but I need to spread that reading across a period of time to see what pops up in my mind. I am Ni and Ne dominant and rely on my intuition much more than my Ti thinking.

I sense that there is a 9ish element in your online presentation. If you are not a core 9, it is highly likely that you have a 9 gut fix in your tritype.

Hey! What happened to that c-word? (competence) It's not a perfect fit, but the type 5 description here actually fits better than the type 4. I'm not quite sure what to make of the lack of focus on motivations and basic desires though. How crucial is that supposed to be? In constrast, type 9 is much too 'grounded' (to use their term), whereas I have to really focus to ground myself, otherwise I'm off elsewhere (mentally).

Suppose that I am a type 5.
Does that mean I'm necessarily thinking-feeling-instinctive (like that thread mentions)?
How would I determine my tritype and their respective wings? At first glance, it seems like there'd be no reason to get out something like 5w4-4w3 considering that 5 is higher than 3 (since wings are determined by which type is stronger).

Last edited:
Hey! What happened to that c-word? (competence) It's not a perfect fit, but the type 5 description here actually fits better than the type 4. I'm not quite sure what to make of the lack of focus on motivations and basic desires though. How crucial is that supposed to be? In constrast, type 9 is much too 'grounded' (to use their term), whereas I have to really focus to ground myself, otherwise I'm off elsewhere (mentally).

Suppose that I am a type 5.
Does that mean I'm necessarily thinking-feeling-instinctive (like that thread mentions)?
How would I determine my tritype and their respective wings? At first glance, it seems like there'd be no reason to get out something like 5w4-4w3 considering that 5 is higher than 3 (since wings are determined by which type is stronger).

You seem like a head type to me...probably with a 9w1 gut fix. The lack of motivations could be something to do with your type 9 gut fix.

If you are a Five, you are thinking-feeling-doing with your thinking center scrambled with your feeling center. Fives are usually too much in their head that they are instinctive last.

Tests can only be used as a guideline. The test that you did is supposedly the RHETI I guess. It usually tests low on Threes and high on Fours. Your heart fix being in the image triad is usually related to your self-image and how you see yourself. Read the descriptions for 2, 3 and 4 and see which one you relate to the best, then look into the wing.
http://***************.com/type-3-forum-achiever/8646-more-type-3-a.html#post189278

Last edited:
Reactions: KazeCraven
You seem like a head type to me...probably with a 9w1 gut fix. The lack of motivations could be something to do with your type 9 gut fix.

If you are a Five, you are thinking-feeling-doing with your thinking center scrambled with your feeling center. Fives are usually too much in their head that they are instinctive last.

Tests can only be used as a guideline. The test that you did is supposedly the RHETI I guess. It usually tests low on Threes and high on Fours. Your heart fix being in the image triad is usually related to your self-image and how you see yourself. Read the descriptions for 2, 3 and 4 and see which one you relate to the best, then look into the wing.

Yep, that was RHETI alright.

I actually thought this was going to be a no-brainer, but I identified quite a bit with type 3 too. It's still pretty clearly 4 over the other two though. Haven't checked into the wings yet.

ETA: Hey, this is from the same thing that TDHT quoted. Hard to say, considering that 4w3 are theatrical (not me) but ambitious and influenced by what people think of them (me), whereas 4w5 is intellectual (me) but seem really defined and self-confident (not me).

Last edited:
I actually thought this was going to be a no-brainer, but I identified quite a bit with type 3 too. It's still pretty clearly 4 over the other two though. Haven't checked into the wings yet.

ETA: Hey, this is from the same thing that TDHT quoted. Hard to say, considering that 4w3 are theatrical (not me) but ambitious and influenced by what people think of them (me), whereas 4w5 is intellectual (me) but seem really defined and self-confident (not me).

When you present yourself to others, do you tend to present the best of you, or the true nature of you even though it may not be the best?

Determining your heart fix is different from determining your core type though, you will not have the full type manifested in you...it is more to do with how the type influences your self-image and identity.

Last edited:
Well, I had two goals tonight: figure out how I was coming across, and learn more about myself.

Within the Enneagram system, I'd now type myself as 5w4-4w3-9w1. Really I would be comfortable with just saying I was type 4 if I concluded I was type 4, but because I feel like that's a big part of who I am, I can't really say I'm a type 5 without adding on all those other caveats.

That being said, it seems pretty easy to have a layer of detachment above this 4-ness, which would manifest as being the primary image and identification, despite appearances. I visualize my type as a thick layer of 4-ness, with a translucent top layer of 5-ness, grounded on the wobbly base of 9-ness. In essence, then this 5-ness would be an objective observer somewhat unaware of itself, and instead seeing the inner layer of 4-ness.

This is basically my way of saying that much of what I say about myself is going to sound very 4ish.

When you present yourself to others, do you tend to present the best of you, or the true nature of you even though it may not be the best?

Determining your heart fix is different from determining your core type though, you will not have the full type manifested in you...it is more to do with how the type influences your self-image and identity.

That depends on whether I feel threatened, or whether what I say will be taken the wrong way. But usually my true nature, as close as I see it.

Put another way, I care about what others think of me, but what really matters is why they think what they think. I don't get any consolation if what others think of me is due to a deliberate lie.

Last edited:
Within the Enneagram system, I'd now type myself as 5w4-4w3-9w1. Really I would be comfortable with just saying I was type 4 if I concluded I was type 4, but because I feel like that's a big part of who I am, I can't really say I'm a type 5 without adding on all those other caveats.

That being said, it seems pretty easy to have a layer of detachment above this 4-ness, which would manifest as being the primary image and identification, despite appearances. I visualize my type as a thick layer of 4-ness, with a translucent top layer of 5-ness, grounded on the wobbly base of 9-ness. In essence, then this 5-ness would be an objective observer somewhat unaware of itself, and instead seeing the inner layer of 4-ness.

This is basically my way of saying that much of what I say about myself is going to sound very 4ish.

Some people need the trifix to fully identify themselves with, and some is happy with the core type alone without all those 'add-ons'.

4s are very self-conscious but 9s are not.
If that is your trifix, with a 4 wing in your core plus a 4 heart fix would make you feel very Fourish.

Last edited:
I have picked up on this as well. Any thoughts jump out to you as to why?

you seem more objective than subjective, and less emotionally intense than fours usually are. also (relatively) more open, less self conscious, and paradoxically less involved than fours.

The more you explain your 4-like qualities, the less you sound like a 4 (however, I haven't seen an INTP 4 before, so that could be why), but I can't change my vote. 5 is the most common type for INTPs, but you don't sound anything like them. I'm going with 9.

4 and 9
Mistyping frequency: sometimes (they

Thanks for the lists BlinkandThink.

Ironically, when I look at 5 vs 9, I see more of the type 9 traits fitting, though when I go back to descriptions they seem pretty off. Unless I'm really fooling myself, the type 9 has too many conflicts with my personality. Main one being that 9's are very internally avoidant of bad emotions or thoughts, and have this strong need for harmony.

Last edited:
5 and 9
Mistyping frequency: very often (many 9s mistype as 5s)

Five
Intense
Strong-minded
Argumentative
Resistant
Suspicious
Focused
Penetrating
Theory
Particularities
Pessimistic
High-strung
Disconnect from others
Defensive
Complexify things
Discriminating
Detach

Nine
Soft
Easy-going
Comforting
Receptive
Trusting
Diffuse
Unfocused
Fantasy
Generalities
Optimistic
Peaceful
Merge with others
Accomodating
Simplify things
Accepting
Space-out

from this list i'd say you're more a 9 Kaze.

Hmmm...

Yes, I would agree from that list actually.

That being said, there's a whole lot to the 9 personality that doesn't quite fit. I'd have to get to the root of why 9's seek comfort and avoid negative emotions so strongly, because that's clearly not characteristic of me.

Mmmm, but then again I have similar qualms with being type 5. Oh well. Thanks for pointing this out.

Hmmm...

Yes, I would agree from that list actually.

That being said, there's a whole lot to the 9 personality that doesn't quite fit. I'd have to get to the root of why 9's seek comfort and avoid negative emotions so strongly, because that's clearly not characteristic of me.

Mmmm, but then again I have similar qualms with being type 5. Oh well. Thanks for pointing this out.

what in particular doesn't fit (about both types)?

actually you know that list is kinda confusing me too, lol. thought i was a 5 and now i'm not so sure.

I chalk up a lot of it due to unclear identity, but starting from the core, I have to stretch the fear of incompetence to make it fit (5: competence) and I deliberately disconnected myself from nearly everything when I got to college so that I could find what I really wanted and thought (9: fear of separation).

For type 5, I seem much less curious about the world than typical 5's (still pretty curious). Especially when I was younger, I relied on and trusted others to be able to handle things for me, so I can't relate to the idea of needing to build competence to protect myself. Type 5's are supposed to be high-strung, but I rarely am like that. Cold, yes, but my argumentative style is more defensive than arguing for arguing sake. I agree with being the loner/independent type though, and I often hold back in the social arena because I know I'm not versed on what I "should" know (which I'm chalking up to competence issues here). In the rare event that someone seeks me out and pushes me (argumentatively), I become very extreme and provocative (type 5 traits?), often exaggerating a point to make my case, regardless of whatever other ground I lose by doing so. Also, I have noticed that I have a strong tendency to withdraw to work through my feelings, suggesting that despite consciously wanting strong emotionality I am being overwhelmed by emotions.

For type 9, I have a rather positive outlook on my anger, only bottling it up when I know it'll just get in the way (most of the time). I have some resistance to people telling me I'm wrong about how I see myself, but other than that I'm very quick to dig into the darker aspects of myself. I certainly wouldn't consider myself "present" in my physical body like 9's supposedly are. Something that's dead on 9 though is if I have a disagreement with someone that I am connected to like a friend, I have trouble dissenting when it's clear it'll raise hard feelings. That, and I often don't know what I want so I'm pretty quick to forgive and accommodate others. However, I've had problems with this in my childhood, so I now become really cold to anyone who starts off on the wrong foot. Basically I've got a hard wall: you're either in and I have trouble asserting my own wants versus yours, or you're out and I won't give you a dime.

ETA: What I think is clear though is that I have both in my tritype. I either merge or detach (or both simultaneously!) and I feel the shift especially when I shift from being merged to detaching. Then again, I always seem at least somewhat detached.

Last edited:
I could make a case for both types, but I think what it boils down to is that from a very young age I felt naturally detached from other people, and I have a tendency to be too cerebral. I can't remember whether I first noticed I was different from others or whether I made my identity about my uniqueness, but it was a while before I considered that I should be more involved or connected with others.

5w4-4w3-9w1 still fits best.

I see you as a 4w5, mostly. You have a high wants --desires, even-- to understand in context of self-enrichment, to make your own life full with meaning.
5w4 is also a big possibility, now that you'd raised the chance of you being 5.

Last edited:
I have a few reasons why I've decided I'm not a 4, but the main one is that I had to go through a year long existential crisis before I 'woke up' to this truth about me. It's hard to be concerned about protecting myself from dangers in the environment when I've gone through a nearly suicidal phase, I think. (Not suicidal now, for the record.)

I think you, TDHT, and BlinkandThink are seeing type 4 because that's my self-image and what I will project when you ask me what kind of person I am. I've been overly concerned with my self-image lately.
-----

ETA:
4s are very self-conscious but 9s are not.
If that is your trifix, with a 4 wing in your core plus a 4 heart fix would make you feel very Fourish.
I didn't notice the bolded until now, but I was very self-conscious until around 14-15 or so when I realized no one really cared that much. Now I'd consider myself self-conscious, but not shy and very okay with being open.

Last edited:
Reactions: sassafras