What (Ennea)type do I come across as? | INFJ Forum

What (Ennea)type do I come across as?

Discussion in 'Enneagram' started by KazeCraven, Sep 3, 2010.

Share This Page

?
  1. 4

44.4%
  2. 5

55.6%
  3. 9

11.1%
  4. not 4, 5, or 9

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. INTP

22.2%
  6. not INTP

11.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 2 users.
More threads by KazeCraven
  1. KazeCraven

KazeCraven Graduated from Typology : May 2011
    Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    IEI
    Enneagram:
    6w5 sp/sx
    I'm mostly interested in Enneagram types, if you are aware of the system, but feel free to comment on MBTI too.

I thought I was type 4, then thought I was type 5, then retook the test as objectively as possible and still got significantly higher on type 4, with type 9 a somewhat close second. So I thought perhaps I'm actually a type 9, considering type 9's pretty often get their own type wrong.

I find it hard to believe I'm not one of those three types, considering I'm quite withdrawn.

ETA: If you think I'm probably either 5 or 9, but definitely not 4 for example, you can just pick both. That perspective is also valuable to know about.

ETA2: I have removed the link I posted and have added relevant posts below.
    ------
    Test results (latest):
    Type One: 17
    Type Two: 13
    Type Three: 12
    Type Four: 26
    Type Five: 19
    Type Six: 19
    Type Seven: 10
    Type Eight: 6
    Type Nine: 22

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 KazeCraven, Sep 3, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  2. sassafras

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    Hey Kaze,

I'd love to help you out if I can. Do you have anymore post examples that you feel are representative of what you're like as a person? That thread you posted just seemed to showcase one aspect that still makes it difficult to narrow things down based on the options; a more comprehensive look might help come up with something more accurate.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Tulip

Tulip Community Member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    Exempted
    Enneagram:
    Type me
    I don't think you are a Four. Fours typically wouldn't do that many tests to confirm their type, especially not "retook the test as objectively as possible". Also note that you highlighted "ignored all other 'subjective' meaning" in your other thread.

4. OP
    KazeCraven

Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    IEI
    Enneagram:
    6w5 sp/sx
    Yeah, that's the jist of why I decided I was fooling myself about being a four, minus the retaking tests part (which I disagree with). It's really just the second time I've taken a good one.

EDIT: See below.

#4 KazeCraven, Sep 3, 2010
  5. OP
    KazeCraven

Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    IEI
    Enneagram:
    6w5 sp/sx
    Typing Information

I thought I'd take a few minutes to coalesce something which would make typing me easier. Below are posts that I think characterize me.

-----
    Okay, here's some material I've posted around the forums:

In response to sacrificing happiness:

On Nihilism:

In response to "Do you find that stepping too carefully around people has the opposite effect?":
    On self-imposed rules:
    Response to Shai/Chaz Support Thread:
    In response to " Do you like it when someone takes care of you?":
    (and after more had posted)
    Random comments:
    ------

Older material from a completely different forum:

(In response to a silly discussion about "do real men pee while sitting down" after I tried to get someone to distinguish the rule for sitting.):
    On the meaning of life:
    In response to "What motivators do you use in order to make yourself want to exercise?":
    On unconditional love:
    I'm guessing I'll be perceived as a type 5, but I'm curious to see what others say first.

6. OP
    KazeCraven

Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    IEI
    Enneagram:
    6w5 sp/sx
    Ah, I should have added an option for the instinctual variants too.

The question for that would be whether I'm sp/sx or sp/so. I value relationships more than social connection, but it seems to be the case that "sx" relates to assertive traits, whereas "so" relates to compliant traits, and if anything I've been more compliant than assertive over the course of my life.

Thoughts on that would be appreciated as well.

7. sassafras

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    Reading through all that, it is my personal opinion that you are indeed a type four. From what I can gather from these posts, you seem very much in tune with your emotions. Unlike a typical type nine, who tends to downplay or even suffocate their negative feelings, you allow yourself to experience them (and perhaps even find them oddly beautiful). You also talk about being rather sensitive to others feelings, but insist that you aren't prone to avoiding conflict when it gets down to it. Also not a nine trait.

The recurring themes and demonstrated interests in establishing/exploring identities, and the meaning of life, also strike me as rather four-ish... although it seems to be tempered by a very poignant five influence as well.

I have to disagree with Tulip. Fours are very much interested in how they come across to others and see how they can adjust their outside selves with their internal, idealized (and what they feel would ultimately be their authentic) self-image. Like three's, they're interested in building an identity through how it is they are seen, but instead of being defined by what they achieve, I remember reading somewhere that fours will tend to fixate on small details and think about how these details "speak" about them to others... essentially, what makes them individuals. Attempting to respond to a test as objectively as possible doesn't negate four-ness; it's the intention behind the goal that counts.

I guess all this really boils down to, Kaze, is what you're most afraid of... and what motivates you the most. Do you desire personal significance and authenticity, or do you desire to be seen as capable?

#7 sassafras, Sep 3, 2010
  8. BlinkandThink

BlinkandThink Community Member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    FREE
    Enneagram:
    7w6
    You reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally sound like a 4. In particular, this:

Because this is how a 7 (which is what I am) is the exact opposite of a 4. I may find a meaning useful, but there's no freaking way I'd give up my long-term happiness for it. When I read that, I said: "REALLY??" out loud ... at my computer screen ... as if it could actually hear me.

4w3 cares about this a lot. 4w5 tends to be a bit more indifferent.

#8 BlinkandThink, Sep 3, 2010
  9. OP
    KazeCraven

Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    IEI
    Enneagram:
    6w5 sp/sx
    Thanks for the analysis TDHT.

I guess the question I'd have to raise is, "capable in what regard?" I don't mind being inept at many things that people say I should find "important", but I do feel that not being capable at anything is a problem.

However, I guess when it comes down to it, I am concerned about the type of person I have been. I think more than anything else, I try to be the best kind of person I can be, regardless of whether that means I'm dedicating my life to others or performing the most meaningful act I can with my life.

10. OP
    KazeCraven

Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    IEI
    Enneagram:
    6w5 sp/sx
    But there's so much more good in life than happiness. I guess we'd have to get into the issue of what exactly we mean by happiness. There are so many experiences that people wouldn't classify as 'happiness', but there's something precious to them all the same.

11. sassafras

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    Type fives are concerned with being capable and competent in their respective environment and they will usually hoard knowledge to this extent. Being "useless" in terms of abilities versus being "useless" in terms of not dedicating the self to an idealized cause would probably be the cleanest cut between deciding whether you're a five or a four with a five wing.

I'm presently on the cusp between deciding between 4w3 and 9w8, although the more I think about it, I lean more toward the former and the latter is simply a part of my tri-type.

12. sassafras

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    Here's some info on the four wings from another forum. Kind of don't like how seemingly negative it makes the two types come across, though. I'll see if I can look up a more milder description :p

And an interesting observation:

KazeCraven likes this.
  13. OP
    KazeCraven

Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    IEI
    Enneagram:
    6w5 sp/sx
    Hey, I've never seen these descriptions before.

Between these two, my difference with 4w5 is that I really don't have a "this is me, so deal with it" attitude. I don't change myself to please others, but I do have a strong tendency to second-guess myself. Everything else is pretty accurate. The 4w3, I can relate to somewhat, but most of it doesn't resonate strongly with me.

And I don't mind the negativity. I think the negative traits help characterize better, considering I can see my own negative traits quite clearly, and will be pretty quick to deny negative traits that aren't descriptive of me.
    ----

I suppose my case for type 9, considering that no one has mentioned that yet, would be the fact that I often have difficulty knowing what I want when I am being friendly with someone else (i.e. socializing and not keeping my distance through cold detachment). I have difficulty mediating between my own wants and others, such that I tend to go along with my friends if I'm undecided on something. That being said, if someone suggests something and I know I don't want to have anything to do with it, there's no question of whether I'll hide that dissent.

ETA: Also, this is getting back into possible conflicts between enneatype and MBTI, but aside from being rather detatched and intellectual I don't relate a whole lot to type 5. Then again, these are pretty defining traits of a type 5.

So far, 4w5 is sounding quite accurate (again), though that description seems a lot more well-defined and focused than I am.

#13 KazeCraven, Sep 3, 2010
  14. sassafras

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    This is actually a trait that nines and fours share. Nines primarily do it because they simply want everyone in the group to be comfortable and the activity or idea decided upon doesn't matter in itself beyond it's ability to harmonize everyone's interests. They see all the potential perspectives and generally do not agonize over the fact that they lack the ability to decide on one, nor are they particularly concerned with what that means for their identity.

Fours, on the other hand, do it not because they want everyone to get along, but because they genuinely haven't decided on which perspective would be the right one in accordance to their idealized self. Fours are always searching for their identity, for some missing piece of themselves, and never feel quite whole. Nines, on the other hand, don't want to make waves and value harmony and peace of mind, in themselves and others, above all else.

#14 sassafras, Sep 3, 2010
  15. BlinkandThink

BlinkandThink Community Member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    FREE
    Enneagram:
    7w6
    More wing descriptions:

16. TinyBubbles

TinyBubbles anarchist

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    ^.^
    Enneagram:
    wow TDHT you know quite a lot about the enneagram. Kaze I'd guess maybe 9 or 5 for you, for some reason you don't seem like a classic 4 to me. could be wrong of course.

17. OP
    KazeCraven

Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    IEI
    Enneagram:
    6w5 sp/sx
    Well, I would certainly prefer that people all enjoy any decided upon activity, and I am somewhat bothered by dissonance in preference (when there's clearly a group atmosphere), but for me it's definitely the four-type explanation that fits best. In any case other than just deciding what to do, deciding what I think (or want for myself) is most important.

I will say that I'm pretty sure 9w1 is in my tri-type.

I have picked up on this as well. Any thoughts jump out to you as to why?

Ironically, I don't think I'll really come to a definite conclusion on this issue either, but I appreciate all the responses.

ETA: I say that because regardless of how I'm perceived, I can see a part of myself in all three of these types. It could be that it would all make sense in terms of wings and tritype, but I doubt that.

#17 KazeCraven, Sep 3, 2010
  18. Tulip

Tulip Community Member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    Exempted
    Enneagram:
    Type me
    Fours are self-referential and subjective by nature. They are in the feeling triad and uses their thinking process to stimulate their feelings. They don't need to gather external data like different test results or polls in order to reach an objective conclusion that they are a certain type.

#18 Tulip, Sep 4, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2010
  19. OP
    KazeCraven

Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    IEI
    Enneagram:
    6w5 sp/sx
    [MENTION=1601]Tulip[/MENTION]: Well, yeah. It's pretty similar to the descriptions I read initially, and that's what I identified with in the first place (this thread), but when someone brings serious doubts to your analysis you (at least I do) make sure you aren't deluding yourself, especially since I did exactly that with MBTI and turned out to be pretty wrong. (INFJ =/= INTP)

That being said, I took the time to read this description. It's not perfect, but it's still closer than the descriptions I've read of any other types. I can see a problem regarding the 'feeling' center, considering that oftentimes my feeling response seems very quiet, but when they are there I definitely identify with them. This would probably point to my heart triad not being my primary.

My problem with your argument is not that I disagree with the points you are bringing up, but rather that it is a completely negative one in that you're saying I'm not a four. Sure, I can find good reasons why I'm not any of the types, as none of them fit perfectly. For example, I am rather introspective and cerebral (type 5), but I'm not particularly concerned about competence, nor do I seem as inquisitive and enamored with knowledge as 5's seem to be. For type 9, I have been rather easy-going and have had difficulty defining myself, but in the process I've intentionally cut myself off from nearly everything. And for type 4, I agree with nearly all type 4 sentiments and desires, but I clearly have a lower degree of feeling, and a lower confidence in my own identity and my ability to see myself as I am.

#19 KazeCraven, Sep 4, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  20. Tulip

Tulip Community Member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    Exempted
    Enneagram:
    Type me
    I don't see being not a Four is something negative. I was just trying to narrow down your options as it is very common that many people mistype themselves as a Four to begin with due to a misunderstanding on what are essential to make up a Four. At this point, I do not have enough of a read of what type you are without spending more time in reading more of your posts.

Have you already looked at the misidentifications part at the end of the Four descriptions in the link I posted earlier? How do you feel yourself when comparing 4 to 5 and 4 to 9?