What Drives You? | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

What Drives You?

• What do you see in yourself?
Ability to achieve greatness so long as I find a balance and loosen up a bit.
  • What truly drives you?
Fear, intuition, and desire for harmony.
  • What makes you interested to see another day?
Curiosity and love of the sky.
  • How truly content are you to let injustice happen?
A bit. I can be pragmatic. I believe pragmatism and idealism should be used together (idealistic, eh?)
  • Is extreme guilt a virtue or a problem?
I have no clue. I have this. I wouldn't say that it is a virtue. It's a hindrance, really. I'm not a martyr and I don't victimize myself, but I can't seem to accept my flaws. I jest about my faults all the time but I've never truly accepted them.
  • Without guilt, how do you learn from past mistakes?
See above response. I tend not to make a lot of big mistakes because I tread lightly. I tiptoe a lot. I can still be pretty blunt (truth junkie), but when it comes to deep desires that I don't find extremely important, I typically let them go to the wayside. My crimes tend to be more passive than active. I have a hypersensitive concious. I never feel comfortable with myself. I find myself automatically justifying a lot of my actions. Truthfully, I'm not a bad person, but I can't seem to feel good, either.

Sorry, I had to let off a load.

I'm a confused person.

• The universe, complete, in miniature
  • What truly drives you?
  • To make full use of, and engage with, the time I have left.

• It doesn't interest me. I am always surprised and pleased to wake up, still alive.
  • Not content, but aware that injustice happens all the time, all over the place. I can affect very little of it.
  • A major problem.
  • Easily. Guilt is only valid when it occurs. Learning from it removes its reason for being. Memory takes its place. Along with sorrow.

I smell some self-fulfilling prophecies.

I think a lot of people are misunderstood. Heck, sometimes I feel like a genuine Mersault.

But if you reiterate that you are misunderstood then you are probably reaping what you sow.

So,

I look into this constant guilt that I feel, this nagging that I am never good enough, that I am never adequate for others. Sometimes it drives me to constantly evolve myself, sometimes it fills me with despair. Either way, I am never content to simply "be."

Some say this is inner torment, some say it is inner drive. It is not a passion of mine, I do not feel great pleasure in it, I feel like I must do it to overcome my flaws.

I thought that IT was a passion, but it is simply something that came easily and I can make money doing.

Forgive my boldness, but this sounds like you've spent most of your life being (directly or indirectly) told what to do and that somebody, somewhere made you feel like your wants and needs weren't significant or good enough. Of course, now that you finally have the opportunity to do whatever the heck it is you want, you don't know what it is! After all, it's quite possible that you spent most of your life being molded by somebody else; you didn't have any practice making your own decisions and feeling out what works for you. So, of course you're going to be afraid of making the wrong decision... especially when this could very well be one of the most important ones you're going to make.

You don't trust yourself to be yourself, perhaps?

When I think about it, I really don't know if I have passions, I have desires to be close with people, but I don't know if I truly have a passion.

It seems like my whole life is built around gaining acceptance and assisting others, and when I try to look at myself, there is nothing there. When I try to focus on doing something for myself, I either lose interest or it is a way of escaping reality.

Gaining acceptance is a base need for all social creatures. It seems like the root of the problem here is a fear of rejection prompting you to maintain status quo at all costs. After all, if you actually put yourself out there, heart and soul, and it turns out that the project that you worked so hard on is rejected, ridiculed or ignored, it'll reflect badly on your person... and you'll be looked upon differently. Or, a related fear might be that if you pursue such and such a career, your personality will change drastically that your friends and family will experience some friction while they adjust to the new you--or possibly not like you anymore.

What's driving you right now is being validated (or accepted, in your own words). Examine why this is and what it is that you're (consciously or subconsciously) telling yourself that makes this such a high priority for you. Until you address this issue and knock it down a few priority pegs, I'm not sure your subconscious is going to let you or others experience your authentic self.

• Someone who is adaptable.

[*]What truly drives you?

Right now? Redemption. I made a lot of mistakes in the last five years; time to fix them.

Ultimately? Fear of regret. Like I said above, I made a lot of mistakes... and there's no more bitter feeling than regret. Time goes by very quickly. I'd hate to think that five years from now, I'm going to look back on what I've done now and think "should've, could've, would've... but I didn't."

It's been a pretty hefty kick in the ass, I'll say.

[*]What makes you interested to see another day?

Seeing myself another step closer to my goals.

[*]How truly content are you to let injustice happen?
    Not at all.

[*]Is extreme guilt a virtue or a problem?

Problem. Guilt means something important is missing; usually, an absence of a solution.

You don't need guilt to learn from past mistakes. Any sort of painful emotion will do.

As I type out, and reflect on, the questions, I realize once again that balance is key, but I am interested to hear your responses. Please feel free to answer as many or as few questions as you like.

This was an interesting exercise. Thanks, NAI. I hope I didn't offend with my observations; certainly wasn't my intention.

Last edited:
Reactions: Soulful
Whatever you say Jack.
Would you rather I got all wound up and emotionally attached to somebody else's tantrums?
I said I didn't care.
And although that may be beyond the ability of some to comprehend,
it happens to be the case.

I simply don't inhabit an illusory reality.

Superficially: when you hear someone say they don't care, it is an indicator that they do.

And you know, when I say you're dripping with passive aggressive venom, and you respond exhibiting exactly that, and claim to not care what others think, that's an illusory reality wouldn't ya say.

And you know, when I say you're dripping with passive aggressive venom, and you respond exhibiting exactly that, and claim to not care what others think, that's an illusory reality wouldn't ya say.

Read your own quoted back quote.
What is it about the word "superficially" you don't understand?

You can not make a man look like a fool,
Unless that man is a fool.

The only time I act, is when I act like a fool.

Do you really think you can engage me and survive the encounter?
I really do have better things to do than demolish anyone's ego.

Seriously.
I will go to great lengths to avoid it.
So please, please, accept that maybe this is not somewhere you really want to go.

And I announce for all to see:
I consider the following very, very offensive, and expect an apology:
"you're dripping with passive aggressive venom"
I seriously dislike that comment.

*Rerails thread*
My passions drive me

Something not seem to belong anywhere except in me

• What truly drives you?
Insecurity I guess, pitfalls and to avoid foreseeable troubles, also curiosity

What's past is gone. What is left is the future saying hi to me.

Quite, that's life. Justice for one is often injustice for another. Is it just for the children who are destined to be born in absolute poverty deprived of opportunities? I don't know but someone is going to be in that womb at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Problem

Guilt doesn't help me learn, I learn by reason and experience.
Maybe I hurt someone this time, next time I will open their hearts with the right key. Nothing to be ashamed of.

So,

I look into this constant guilt that I feel, this nagging that I am never good enough, that I am never adequate for others. Sometimes it drives me to constantly evolve myself, sometimes it fills me with despair. Either way, I am never content to simply "be."

Some say this is inner torment, some say it is inner drive. It is not a passion of mine, I do not feel great pleasure in it, I feel like I must do it to overcome my flaws.

I thought that IT was a passion, but it is simply something that came easily and I can make money doing.

When I think about it, I really don't know if I have passions, I have desires to be close with people, but I don't know if I truly have a passion.

It seems like my whole life is built around gaining acceptance and assisting others, and when I try to look at myself, there is nothing there. When I try to focus on doing something for myself, I either lose interest or it is a way of escaping reality.

So I wonder:

• What truly drives you?

As I type out, and reflect on, the questions, I realize once again that balance is key, but I am interested to hear your responses. Please feel free to answer as many or as few questions as you like.

NeverAmI: even though your feelings of 'not being good enough' are probably unfounded, why don't you experiment going along with that assumption, instead of trying to resist it?

---------------

What drives me? I see emptiness in myself. I am driven to understand those things which are not empty. I am also somewhat driven to attempt to be myself.

I am not interested in seeing another day - but I am content to put up with another day, because it may bring more understanding to me.

I am content to let injustices occur against me - I have such a shit oppinion of myself, most apparent injustices are in a way deserved. However, my anger runs white hot when an injustice is done against nice people (I am not a nice person).

I almost never feel guilt, but I know that I am guilty of many things I would not do again, if I had the chance. What drives me to learn from past mistakes? An admiration for innocent sincerity, which I wish I had.

I was previously driven by emotion and passion. So, i reevaluated my values in the last two years, and found that i was not succeeding with these motivations. Now i'm driven by reasoned committment.

Last edited:
I was previously driven by emotion and passion, now i'm driven by reasoned committment and self-interest (emotional self-interest). I've always sought the approval of others one way or another, and believed i was less or more because of how people saw me. Consequently, what drove me was others' approval and expecations rather than my own. I was quite a disappointment when i thought of myself this way. Didn't really live up to the high expectation of anyone's or my own, because of this. So, i reevaluated my values in the last two years, and found that i was not succeeding with that motivation, so i'm more self-interested but to my emotional benefit, and think of what i need to do less a matter of like or dislike but real committment because it's expected of myself. That's my view.

Do you have a plan to do something (outwards) from your more nurtured internal emotional state?

^ the above, + infinite in time and space measure of sequence of events and forces, including something they call the "big" bang (wow, how big was it, and what did they compare it with), which of course is neither a beginning, nor "everything" in existence, only is related to what is perceivable from planet earth for now ... and such stuff yeah man cool dashit dude peace yo

it creates particles and forces that formed some regular patterns, until they combined into these funny playing things that are considered alive, because they exchange energy and reproduce .... and begin to think how to exchange better energy... and think how to control others of the same biomass type in order to keep exchanging energy ... which makes them rather self-destructive eventually ... and silly (aka proud) ...

it is very interesting that a complex machine such as the brain is capable to come up with the idea that it has nothing to drive it, and even to consider self-destruction .... imagine if the universe as we know it was part of a brain that decided to destroy itself, and ... oh nvm

so these forces play the chemical game within my biomass, which is called life, and which like fire has been burning around the planet for millions of years, and may be very close to extinguishing itself , or, if makes use of the fore-mentioned complex input-output devices to arrange some pattern which keeps the fire lighten up for some rather long time, before the whole rock is eaten by the star, but they could have spread the fire to other rocks by then, so... yeah man its rather interesting id say

Last edited: