What do you guys think about Arizona's new immigration law? | Page 5 | INFJ Forum

What do you guys think about Arizona's new immigration law?

We need statistics not our individual observations your judges word has no more power then my own, we need a study with statistics, which I'm trying to find(with no luck).

Was there a readily visable line, why did you cross it? for all I know you deserved it or the cop could have just been an ass.

It was a dirt road, kinda like this:
Arizona-dirt-road-by-Tom-Troxell-qpps_775767656875817.LG.jpg,440,330,crop

No lines, never had lines in all my time of living in that town to this day still no lines. I was accused of being high, and drunk because you know crossing the halfway point on a road that could barely fit two cars and has no marking for screams I just downed a fifth and smoked a bowl.

This quote I see as fitting and is the reason for the uproar:
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely

It was a dirt road, kinda like this:
Arizona-dirt-road-by-Tom-Troxell-qpps_775767656875817.LG.jpg,440,330,crop

No lines, never had lines in all my time of living in that town to this day still no lines. I was accused of being high, and drunk because you know crossing the halfway point on a road that could barely fit two cars and has no marking for screams I just downed a fifth and smoked a bowl.

This quote I see as fitting and is the reason for the uproar:
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely

What did he charge you with, did you appeal it. He was obviously in the wrong.

I wasn't charged because I threatened to sue over profiling and asked how he would feel about not only being the biggest idiot in town but the one who got fired over it. The fact was I was being written up for the moving violation of crossing a double yellow line. He tore it up after I yelled at him for being a complete idiot and told him I would fight it and ensure he would not wear a badge ever again.

I have joined this thread late.

One question:

Do people here have a problem with the law, or with its enforcement?

Reactions: the
I have joined this thread late.

One question:

Do people here have a problem with the law, or with its enforcement?

I think they have a problem with the law because it doesn't specify the enforcement.

I wasn't charged because I threatened to sue over profiling and asked how he would feel about not only being the biggest idiot in town but the one who got fired over it. The fact was I was being written up for the moving violation of crossing a double yellow line. He tore it up after I yelled at him for being a complete idiot and told him I would fight it and ensure he would not wear a badge ever again.

There you go, he was in the wrong and you came to no harm from it. Couldn't the same work for citizenship documentation, fight it on charges of profiling.

Also the whole stealing jobs from Americans is total horse shit father and uncles ran ranches... "Americans" do one day of work making post holes and quit. Whereas the "immigrants" legal or otherwise will. my roommate refuses to apply for fast food jobs saying they are "below" him. Entitlement ftw.

There is more to this but wine is clouding my mind and I'll try and elaborate later.
What's your roommate got to do with anything? So someone you know doesn't want a particular job, that doesn't mean the vast majority of white people will be th same. I guarantee you that any job there is some white person willing to take it, however we do expect a degree of fairness to it. In the end a lot of peoples work choices are dictated by the pay, in the end you have to find something that pays the minimum amount you can afford to live on.

Well, if you want to be technical, we had a major role in it.

What's the issue?
Corn.
Mainly, American corn subsidies and NAFTA.
The numbers we're looking at are over a million Mexicans losing their agricultural jobs since NAFTA went into effect in 1994. Tariffs that protected the industry ended in January 2008. Thus, these farmers were put into direct competition with U.S. farmers. Do you even need examples that compare the two in technology? If you look at the Department of Agriculture, a U.S. farm can produce up to a metric ton of corn in a half-hour (and this is probably not up-to-date information). America is exporting this corn to Mexico. We're forcing these people to find work in other places and their isn't enough jobs in their own cities, i.e. coming to the United States to find work and to, hopefully, bring that money back to their families. We're talking about a rational attempt at survival.

The worst part? We expected it. Nader is reported as estimation that

Racial profiling happens. Being pulled over for being a different nationality other than White is common place - so common place, that terms have been coined for it: Driving While Black/Brown (DWB) or Driving While Hispanic (DWH)

It affects an entire culture when this happens. Whether or not it happens to *you* is immaterial, because the fear becomes it *might* happen to you because you "fit the description." You can google the information and get a fair amount of controversy on both sides (here's an interesting academic report on it as well: (http://academic.udayton.edu/race/03justice/dwb01.htm)

I don't think we should have open boarders (mostly due to dangerous illegal activities and how it makes it easier for drug trafficking) and I do think nations have to protect their citizens and they need to learn to do so effectively. But who are we to deny people the right to have freedoms of their own, when most of us came to the United States on the backs of immigrants? If laws had been in place two hundred years ago, all of your families would've been illegal immigrants. The native peoples came here first (from what I understand) and they're the ones who should have claim to the land if we're taking this to the utmost.

Why not deport everyone except for the Indigenous American populations?

The economy isn't bad because of illegal immigrants. Jobs are not being taken away because of illegal immigrants. All that has been happening because of the collapse of the housing bubble and corporations that have gone under. How that will change is by renewing the economy (somehow) - not by the deportation of folks.

To me, all this stuff about "illegal immigrants taking our jobs and stealing our healthcare" is a Whitewash. It's using the label "illegal immigrant" to label a group of people that they feel are "overrunning" their state. And they want to stop it.

My apologies in advance.... this is going to be a long post. This issue is very close to my heart and I have a lot to say about it!

I hate it. Seems absolutely barbaric and horrific to me. This country was built on the shoulders of immigrants (some forced into this country). They help run our country. Surely there's room for everyone here without splitting families. This is just hateful to me.
-arbygil
I agree.

To be quite honest, I think the new immigration law is brilliant.

In each instance in the whole history of this country when elements of the conservative, moralist right have 'cracked down' on something they cause such strife that the country swings just a little further to the left and the oppressed minority gets a more sane way of dealing with their problems when the law is overturned.

Think about it. The conservative parties have cracked down on homosexuality, rights for blacks, rights for women, drugs, atheism, human sexuality...and what happens every time? They completely alienate the non-crazies that makes up the majority and instead of bringing about their 'moral utopia' they create a more effective underground and a human rights cause which eventually, inevitably triumphs.
-Chessie
Haha, I hadn’t thought of it that way – fantastic!!

and why don't they come the legal way? in said poor countries it is nearly impossible to get documentation legally as they do not have the resources in any way, these people are desperate and can even afford paying to do this legally
-Raccoon Love

Right on – this is especially the case for asylum-seekers. For most Mexicans, who aren’t typically asylum-seekers because the US doesn’t recognize economic refugees, they have it even harder. To get an immigrant visa, you typically need either a pre-arranged employer who is willing to go through all the bureaucracy and expense to hire a foreign national, or you need a close relative in the US (citizen or permanent resident to sponsor you). If you don’t have either of those, you’re out of luck.

Open borders cause a lot of human rights problems.
-Satya
Actually, a pretty good case can be made for the opposite—that hard boundaries violate human rights.

You haven't read the law. It asserts that officers must first make "lawful contact". The legal definition of such means they must already be under suspicion of having committed a crime. Next, the bill asserts that the officer must have "reasonable suspicion" that the individual is an illegal alien. This goes beyond skin color or manner of speaking because the law directly asserts that race alone can't be used to demand proof of citizenship.
-Satya
Actually, the end of sentence that “forbids” using race/national origin for a basis of suspicion is where the problem lies. It ends with, “except to the extend permitted by the US or Arizona Constitution.” (http://www.azleg.gov/alispdfs/council/SB1070-HB2162.PDF, page 4). Well, guess what? In 1975, the US Supreme Court sanctioned racial profiling near the border in the case United States v. Brignoni-Ponce. In this case, it was ruled that Mexican appearance is a legitimate reason, under the Fourth Amendment, to verify a person’s immigration status.

I have a much simpler and more effective plan to eliminate illegal immigration: make all immigration legal. While I recognize that federal immigration regulations are constitutional, I consider them unjust.

Ok, I can accept some minor regulations to keep out those carrying contagious diseases as well as fugitives from justice. I can also see the value in border checks and arresting those trying to bring in bring in contraband, including weapons, drugs (although I think legalizing, heavily taxing, and leaving the decision on whether to ban to localities is a better policy than banning these outright), and of course slaves (especially those intended for child prostitution). However, I do not accept the validity of implementing any quota system, or in requiring immigrants apply for any sort of visa or green card.
-magister
Right on!!

it's not just lengthy and expensive, it's IMPOSSIBLE for a large percentage of the desiring population to qualify, have a heart.. people are only looking for a better life. immigration policies are unfair to begin with.
-april
Again, right on!!

the land of Arizona was stolen from Mexico (and the Mexicans living on it) through the treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo.
-mf
Exactly.

So America is responsible for the desperation in Mexico?
-Satya
Well… yes, actually!! I was going to talk about corn, but That Girl’s got it covered:
What's the issue?
Corn.
Mainly, American corn subsidies and NAFTA.
The numbers we're looking at are over a million Mexicans losing their agricultural jobs since NAFTA went into effect in 1994. Tariffs that protected the industry ended in January 2008. Thus, these farmers were put into direct competition with U.S. farmers. Do you even need examples that compare the two in technology? If you look at the Department of Agriculture, a U.S. farm can produce up to a metric ton of corn in a half-hour (and this is probably not up-to-date information). America is exporting this corn to Mexico. We're forcing these people to find work in other places and their isn't enough jobs in their own cities, i.e. coming to the United States to find work and to, hopefully, bring that money back to their families. We're talking about a rational attempt at survival.

The economy isn't bad because of illegal immigrants. Jobs are not being taken away because of illegal immigrants. All that has been happening because of the collapse of the housing bubble and corporations that have gone under. How that will change is by renewing the economy (somehow) - not by the deportation of folks.

To me, all this stuff about "illegal immigrants taking our jobs and stealing our healthcare" is a Whitewash. It's using the label "illegal immigrant" to label a group of people that they feel are "overrunning" their state. And they want to stop it.

Right. And also, undocumented immigrants actually contribute to the economy. They pay the same sales taxes and property taxes (whether they rent or own their homes) as citizens. According to the Urban Institute, a nonpartisan organization that conducts economic and social policy research, “the majority of state and local costs of schooling and other services are funded by these taxes.”. Furthermore, in 1996, the IRS began issuing tax ID numbers to undocumented immigrants so that they could pay payroll taxes – and they do. In 2005, Social Security actuaries estimated that 2/3 of undocumented immigrants paid payroll taxes, and as a result, they contributed $6-$7 billion to Social Security—a benefit they are ineligible to collect—and $1.5 billion to Medicare.” Even the Reason Foundation, a free market think tank, concludes that undocumented immigrants “are not milking the government. If anything, it is the other way around.”

Finally, one last thing to think about: undocumented immigrants have drastically reduced rights in the US - basically the only social services available to them are emergency medical care and K-12 school. But even legal immigrants have significantly fewer rights than US citizens under US law: for example, they're not eligible for food stamps, or Social Security unless they came here before the Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Act was passed in 1996. The Universal Declaration of Human Rights sets out rights on the basis of personhood. Is it ethically justifiable to redefine these rights as guaranteed based on citizenship?

Last edited:
Reactions: acd
I know I will get torn down for this, but I will speak it. I am in support of this law. I think it is a little harsh yes, but it needs to be done. Imigration is a SERIOUS problem in this country, and very little that has been done is effective at stopping it. I seriously doubt that law inforcement agents will be so crass as to use this as a way to racially profile people. People are not that cruel. Besides, it isn't like the law inforcement isn't immune to inacting this. If they were found of racial profiling, then they should no longer be in the force. People are so quick to call the race card. That isn't to say there is no validity to it, but it is being very overplayed here. The whole basis for the resistance to this is people think it's unfair. Well, its unfair that these people are coming into the country ILLEGALLY. If they want to be here so bad, they need to go through the exact same process that legal immagrints have gone through. At the very least, they need to try and become legal. If they become legal, they should have to carry their papers and indentification with them. At least until this problem is evened out more, then that regulation can be loosened up.

If people refuse to be here legally, they deserve to get a swift kick back to where they came from. I support this law, and it needs to go through. The kinks can be worked out once the law is put into pratice for a while.

I agree with the law as well..I am not jumping up and down on a soapbox, but I do agree with it.
First of all, I read the bill...This bill mirrors our federal law only it is tougher on any law officer who tries to discriminate...He gets fired and taken to court, and he pays for it out of pocket. In the federal law they can discriminate...and pick anyone off the streets. If someone is breaking the law THEN they can ask for papers (not the sweet little lady and her child getting an ice-cream cone). This bill was especially meant for the violent criminals that are over here. Whites are the minority in AZ and the law officers over there are other Hispanics, African-American, and Anglos...in that order. Their Sheriff is a very interesting(hard) Hispanic man. He is fighting very hard to protect the innocent American people living on the borders...most of which are Hispanic. People are being killed, and their homes are being raped by the hundreds of illegals who are "passing" through.
This is also a huge drug smuggling area...and these people are very dangerous. The carry guns and shoot anyone they feel is threatening their opperation. This is not all about the very "innocent" ones wanting to come over here. There is a real violent threat there, and unless we have lived along that border and felt the fear of those innocent Americans then I don't think anyone has room to say what is best for them. It is a very dangerous situation for those people. I think it is very sad.
I am glad for anyone who wants to come over and love this land that I love so much...I welcome them to come the right way. I am glad my German Grandfather came over leagally...I am thankful every day.