What are your favorite Bible verses? | INFJ Forum

What are your favorite Bible verses?

Satya

C'est la vie
Retired Staff
May 11, 2008
MBTI
INXP
A more religious friendly thread for a change.

Satya's favorites...

Proverbs 6:16-19 King James Version said:
16 These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him:
17 A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,
18 An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief,
19 A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren
Mathew 22 37-40 King James Version said:
37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
38 This is the first and great commandment.
39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Matthew 7 1 King James Version said:
1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.

Matthew 7 5 King James Version said:
5 Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

Last edited:
A bit of Biblical Fe:

2 Corinthians 9:7
So let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver.
NKJV

EDIT: Satya, I have always found Matthew 7:5 quite funny.

New Revised Standard Version (for translation accuracy) said:
Matthew 6:1 - 4
‘Beware of practising your piety before others in order to be seen by them; for then you have no reward from your Father in heaven.

‘So whenever you give alms, do not sound a trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, so that they may be praised by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward. But when you give alms, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your alms may be done in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you.
Most important

Matthew 6:5 - 8
‘And whenever you pray, do not be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, so that they may be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward. But whenever you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you.

‘When you are praying, do not heap up empty phrases as the Gentiles do; for they think that they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.
This one is one that almost no christian seems ever to have heard or understood.

Matthew 6:16 - 18
‘And whenever you fast, do not look dismal, like the hypocrites, for they disfigure their faces so as to show others that they are fasting. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward. But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, so that your fasting may be seen not by others but by your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you.
Don't make a big show of being a christian, just be one.

Matthew 5:17 - 20
‘Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets; I have come not to abolish but to fulfil. For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth pass away, not one letter, not one stroke of a letter, will pass from the law until all is accomplished. Therefore, whoever breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches others to do the same, will be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does them and teaches them will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I tell you, unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.
This one is very important to me as a student of religions. It tells me that christianity is just judaism, with a few extra rules and a new focus. All the mythology that came before, within the hebrew myths, is the basis for christianity, and therefore there's no hell. Just a healing place of Gehenna.

Matthew 5:21 - 26
‘You have heard that it was said to those of ancient times, “You shall not murder”; and “whoever murders shall be liable to judgement.” But I say to you that if you are angry with a brother or sister, you will be liable to judgement; and if you insult a brother or sister, you will be liable to the council; and if you say, “You fool”, you will be liable to the hell of fire. So when you are offering your gift at the altar, if you remember that your brother or sister has something against you, leave your gift there before the altar and go; first be reconciled to your brother or sister, and then come and offer your gift. Come to terms quickly with your accuser while you are on the way to court with him, or your accuser may hand you over to the judge, and the judge to the guard, and you will be thrown into prison. Truly I tell you, you will never get out until you have paid the last penny.
Something I try to aspire to.

Matthew 5:33 - 37
‘Again, you have heard that it was said to those of ancient times, “You shall not swear falsely, but carry out the vows you have made to the Lord.” But I say to you, Do not swear at all, either by heaven, for it is the throne of God, or by the earth, for it is his footstool, or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King. And do not swear by your head, for you cannot make one hair white or black. Let your word be “Yes, Yes” or “No, No”; anything more than this comes from the evil one.
Be honest, and Don't give a vow or oath. Always makes me laugh when people swear on the bible. That's why Quakers have it right.

Matthew 5:43 - 48
‘You have heard that it was said, “You shall love your neighbour and hate your enemy.” But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be children of your Father in heaven; for he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the righteous and on the unrighteous. For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax-collectors do the same? And if you greet only your brothers and sisters, what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same? Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.
Another one I aspire to

New Revised Standard Edition (for translation accuracy) said:
Matthew 7:13 - 14
‘Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the road is easy that leads to destruction, and there are many who take it. For the gate is narrow and the road is hard that leads to life, and there are few who find it.
The road less traveled.

THESE are teachings. I respect the man for these. It seems that many who call themselves christian don't obey these, and many who obey these wouldn't even call themselves christian. I think Matthew was the gospel writer who was the NF Idealist.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice selection, Shai.
Gehenna does not seem anything like a "healing place," however; it was metaphorically referring to the local garbage dump (where the refuse was burned outside Jerusalem).

It's a place of healing for the soul, before moving on to heaven. I spoke to a rabbi about it once.

It's a place of healing for the soul, before moving on to heaven. I spoke to a rabbi about it once.

Did the Rabbi provide an explanation for why this place of healing would be compared to a flaming garbage dump? Also, why did Jesus refer being sent to it as a condemnation?
I don't mind the definition of Gehenna if it's true, but there are a lot of things to explain away before it fits with Jesus' words.

EDIT: Perhaps this should be moved, so we don't fill the "favorite Bible verse" thread with posts about a single word's definition. Agreed?

People are sent to Gehenna that are sick souls, they need purification. It's not a nice place, it's part punishment, part purification. Many of the Jewish rituals had to do with purification, and still do.

He didn't give the explanation, however it's quite possible that the one term, was the cause of the naming of the other. We have cities named Hell, and garbage dumps named hell. Noone in christianity confuses the two.

Deuteronomy 25:11-12 If two men are fighting and the wife of one of them comes to rescue her husband from his assailant, and she reaches out and seizes him by his private parts, you shall cut off her hand. Show her no pity.

Deuteronomy 22 A woman must not wear men's clothing, nor a man wear women's clothing, for the LORD your God detests anyone who does this.

You shall not plow with an ox and a donkey together.

You shall not wear a material mixed of wool and linen together.

If there is a girl who is a virgin engaged to a man, and another man finds her in the city and lies with her, then you shall bring them both out to the gate of that city and you shall stone them to death; the girl, because she did not cry out in the city, and the man, because he has violated his neighbor's wife. Thus you shall purge the evil from among you.

Deuteronomy 23:10 If there is among you any man who is unclean because of a nocturnal emission, then he must go outside the camp; he may not reenter the camp.

Reactions: Lurker
Gotta assume that this chapter was written by a male stodgy SJ.

You shall not plow with an ox and a donkey together.

This one in particular had to have been included because some smartarse thought he might give it a try.

This one in particular had to have been included because some smartarse thought he might give it a try.

:rofl:
Just like a lot of the ridiculous laws we still have on the books...you have to wonder whoever even came up with the idea of breaking them.

What's really so bad about plowing an ox and donkey together? What if you could only afford one ox? Am i missing something?

What's really so bad about plowing an ox and donkey together? What if you could only afford one ox? Am i missing something?

1) They would tend not to like working next to each other. It's simply instinct.
2) Even if they were great friends, they would not be efficient plowing partners due to their differing abilities. Oxen have good endurance, and they can pull just about anything, but they are slow. Donkeys are not as strong, and they tire faster, but they walk faster.
3) The yoke would not fit properly, since their necks are at different heights and angles.

So God was saving everyone the hassle of trying it themselves.:thumb:

I Corinthians 13 verses 1- 13 :

1 Corinthians 13 New International Version (NIV)

1 Corinthians 13
Love
1If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.
4Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. 11When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. 12Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

~ St. Paul of Tarsus

(Elswhere I mentioned Jesus' quotes of treat others as you would like
to be treated and judge not lest ye be judged by what judgement ye have judged by. )

I would like to add another by the King Jesus (King of an unworldy
world!) Render unto Ceasar what is Ceasar's; Render unto God which
is God's...

Last edited:
I cant really think of any verses right not, but one of my favorite books happens to be proverbs. I need to read it again. ^^

I Corinthians 13 verses 1- 13 :

1 Corinthians 13 New International Version (NIV)

1 Corinthians 13
Love
1If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.
4Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. 11When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. 12Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

It is mine too! It plays a big part of me just listen to my youtube clip it is the bridge.
[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ak1X-YLONKU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ak1X-YLONKU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

My personal favorite is Hosea 13: 16.

The people of Samaria must bear their guilt,
because they have rebelled against their God.
They will fall by the sword;
their little ones will be dashed to the ground,
their pregnant women ripped open.

Don't you just love Yahweh? Lol.

Though, on a serious note, my favorite verse would be John 3: 16 (I assume most of you know that one).

Last edited: