What are your favorite Bible verses? | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

What are your favorite Bible verses?

"And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell." (Matthew 10:28)

Read: Fear God

"Jesus said to him, 'You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.'" (Matthew 22:37)

Read: Love God

"There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves torment. But he who fears has not been made perfect in love." (1 John 4:18)

Read: There is no fear in love

Ich bin verwirrt.
Yes, TG is utterly confused.
Think of it as reverential fear. I can't think of a perfect parallel, but one example might be between a lion and human. You might love the lion, it might actually protect you from other people or beasts, but you have a healthy, respectful fear of it knowing that it has the power to end you in a moment.

Every verse needs to be taken in its proper context, so I like to read the surrounding verses to help me understand what the verse itself is saying. Here (the first verse), Jesus was emphasizing to his 12 chosen disciples that physical death is not to be feared; it is not permanent. We will all die a physical death - our life on this earth is like dust in the wind. Spiritual death, however, is forever.

We ought to love God for his mercy - we consistently fail to live up to His standards yet, by His outpouring of Grace we are spared from immediate destruction and have the choice to be spared from ultimate destruction.

The third verse is a different kind of fear. It's the kind of fear that takes the place of faith. When we live in fear we're not trusting in Christ. God is love and love dispels fear. Fear is not the opposite of love or faith, but the absence of it, just like darkness is not the opposite of light, but the absence of light.

Perhaps that helps, or perhaps it just confuses you more :p I'm just a layman, but have studied the Bible for the majority of my life.

Last edited:
Reactions: Inquisitive
Think of it as reverential fear. I can't think of a perfect parallel, but one example might be between a lion and human. You might love the lion, it might actually protect you from other people or beast, but you have a healthy, respectful fear of it knowing that it has the power to end you in a moment.

Every verse needs to be taken in its proper context, so I like to read the surrounding verses to help me understand what the verse itself is saying. Here, Jesus was emphasizing to his 12 chosen disciples that physical death is not to be feared; it is not permanent. We will all die a physical death - our life on this earth is like dust in the wind. Spiritual death, however, is forever.

We ought to love God for his mercy - we consistently fail to live up to His standards yet, by His outpouring of Grace we are spared from immediate destruction and have the choice to be spared from ultimate destruction.

The third verse is a different kind of fear. It's the kind of fear that takes the place of faith. When we live in fear we're not trusting in Christ. God is love and love dispels fear. Fear is not the opposite of love or faith, but the absence of it, just like darkness is not the opposite of light, but the absence of light.

Perhaps that helps, or perhaps it just confuses you more :p

I think some editors were slacking during fear and love verse day.

"Prove all things; hold fast that which is good." (1 Thess. 5:21)

Oh, ye, that strain at a gnat and swallow a camel.