What are your favorite Bible verses? | INFJ Forum

What are your favorite Bible verses?

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by Satya, Sep 22, 2008.

Share This Page

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 11 users.
More threads by Satya
  1. Satya

Satya C'est la vie
    Retired Staff

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INXP
    A more religious friendly thread for a change.

Satya's favorites...

#1 Satya, Sep 22, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2008
  2. TheLastMohican

TheLastMohican Captain Obvious
    Retired Staff

Threads:
    MBTI:
    ENTJ
    Enneagram:
    Type me.
    A bit of Biblical Fe:

EDIT: Satya, I have always found Matthew 7:5 quite funny.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Shai Gar

Shai Gar Guest

Most important

This one is one that almost no christian seems ever to have heard or understood.

Don't make a big show of being a christian, just be one.

This one is very important to me as a student of religions. It tells me that christianity is just judaism, with a few extra rules and a new focus. All the mythology that came before, within the hebrew myths, is the basis for christianity, and therefore there's no hell. Just a healing place of Gehenna.

Something I try to aspire to.

Be honest, and Don't give a vow or oath. Always makes me laugh when people swear on the bible. That's why Quakers have it right.

Another one I aspire to

The road less traveled.

THESE are teachings. I respect the man for these. It seems that many who call themselves christian don't obey these, and many who obey these wouldn't even call themselves christian. I think Matthew was the gospel writer who was the NF Idealist.

#3 Shai Gar, Sep 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2008
  4. TheLastMohican

Retired Staff

Threads:
    MBTI:
    ENTJ
    Enneagram:
    Type me.
    Nice selection, Shai.
    Gehenna does not seem anything like a "healing place," however; it was metaphorically referring to the local garbage dump (where the refuse was burned outside Jerusalem).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Shai Gar

Shai Gar Guest

It's a place of healing for the soul, before moving on to heaven. I spoke to a rabbi about it once.

6. TheLastMohican

Retired Staff

Threads:
    MBTI:
    ENTJ
    Enneagram:
    Type me.
    Did the Rabbi provide an explanation for why this place of healing would be compared to a flaming garbage dump? Also, why did Jesus refer being sent to it as a condemnation?
    I don't mind the definition of Gehenna if it's true, but there are a lot of things to explain away before it fits with Jesus' words.

EDIT: Perhaps this should be moved, so we don't fill the "favorite Bible verse" thread with posts about a single word's definition. Agreed?

7. Shai Gar

Shai Gar Guest

People are sent to Gehenna that are sick souls, they need purification. It's not a nice place, it's part punishment, part purification. Many of the Jewish rituals had to do with purification, and still do.

He didn't give the explanation, however it's quite possible that the one term, was the cause of the naming of the other. We have cities named Hell, and garbage dumps named hell. Noone in christianity confuses the two.

8. ShadeoftheMoon

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INTJ
    Romans 9:22-28

9. Quinlan

Quinlan Right the First Time!

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    ISFP
    Deuteronomy 25:11-12 If two men are fighting and the wife of one of them comes to rescue her husband from his assailant, and she reaches out and seizes him by his private parts, you shall cut off her hand. Show her no pity.

Deuteronomy 22 A woman must not wear men's clothing, nor a man wear women's clothing, for the LORD your God detests anyone who does this.

You shall not plow with an ox and a donkey together.

You shall not wear a material mixed of wool and linen together.

If there is a girl who is a virgin engaged to a man, and another man finds her in the city and lies with her, then you shall bring them both out to the gate of that city and you shall stone them to death; the girl, because she did not cry out in the city, and the man, because he has violated his neighbor's wife. Thus you shall purge the evil from among you.

Deuteronomy 23:10 If there is among you any man who is unclean because of a nocturnal emission, then he must go outside the camp; he may not reenter the camp.

Lurker likes this.
  10. Shai Gar

Shai Gar Guest

Gotta assume that this chapter was written by a male stodgy SJ.

This one in particular had to have been included because some smartarse thought he might give it a try.

11. TheLastMohican

Retired Staff

Threads:
    MBTI:
    ENTJ
    Enneagram:
    Type me.
    :rofl:
    Just like a lot of the ridiculous laws we still have on the books...you have to wonder whoever even came up with the idea of breaking them.

12. Quinlan

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    ISFP
    What's really so bad about plowing an ox and donkey together? What if you could only afford one ox? Am i missing something?

13. TheLastMohican

Retired Staff

Threads:
    MBTI:
    ENTJ
    Enneagram:
    Type me.
    1) They would tend not to like working next to each other. It's simply instinct.
    2) Even if they were great friends, they would not be efficient plowing partners due to their differing abilities. Oxen have good endurance, and they can pull just about anything, but they are slow. Donkeys are not as strong, and they tire faster, but they walk faster.
    3) The yoke would not fit properly, since their necks are at different heights and angles.

14. Quinlan

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    ISFP
    So God was saving everyone the hassle of trying it themselves.:thumb:

15. TheLastMohican

Retired Staff

Threads:
    MBTI:
    ENTJ
    Enneagram:
    Type me.
    Or maybe there was a smart guy who added it to the list of rules.

16. mayflow

Banned

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFP
    I Corinthians 13 verses 1- 13 :

1 Corinthians 13 New International Version (NIV)

1 Corinthians 13
    Love
    1If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.
    4Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. 11When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. 12Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

~ St. Paul of Tarsus

(Elswhere I mentioned Jesus' quotes of treat others as you would like
    to be treated and judge not lest ye be judged by what judgement ye have judged by. )

I would like to add another by the King Jesus (King of an unworldy
    world!) Render unto Ceasar what is Ceasar's; Render unto God which
    is God's...

#16 mayflow, Sep 28, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2008
  17. Rosenrot

Rosenrot Addicted to Bagels

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFP
    I cant really think of any verses right not, but one of my favorite books happens to be proverbs. I need to read it again. ^^

18. BlackKnightKisses

BlackKnightKisses Community Member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ

It is mine too! It plays a big part of me just listen to my youtube clip it is the bridge.
    [youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ak1X-YLONKU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ak1X-YLONKU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

19. HolySmoke

HolySmoke endeavoring to persevere

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Judge not that ye be not judged.

20. Dash

Dash Newbie

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    My personal favorite is Hosea 13: 16.

Don't you just love Yahweh? Lol.

Though, on a serious note, my favorite verse would be John 3: 16 (I assume most of you know that one).

#20 Dash, Oct 23, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2008