What are the causes of sexual attraction? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

What are the causes of sexual attraction?

Satya. I have to admit that you totally amaze me. Our sexual attractions are possibly completely different. I can't even imagine wanting to have sex with a male. Still, you seem lilke it is just in your nature to feel that. I really do wonder why this is so?

Is it like a karma thing? Do you believe in past and future lives? I don't feel any attraction towards you or any antithesis either, but your mind seems rather intriguing - like I would enjoy to explore it more,,, would you?

Is it like a karma thing? Do you believe in past and future lives?

Hm...maybe I was a Japanese samurai during the Edo period. Shudo and homosexuality were pretty prevalent back then in the warrior class.

I don't feel any attraction towards you or any antithesis either, but your mind seems rather intriguing - like I would enjoy to explore it more,,, would you?

Feel free to ask any questions, I don't mind.

Hm...maybe I was a Japanese samurai during the Edo period. Shudo and homosexuality were pretty prevalent back then in the warrior class.

Feel free to ask any questions, I don't mind.

You remind me of Socrates or maybe Plato. So, let me go and ask you stuff.
Is Love in and of the mind?

You remind me of Socrates or maybe Plato. So, let me go and ask you stuff.
Is Love in and of the mind?

Love? I think its a bond that is physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual. It's a connection between you and another person that can never be completely severed once it is formed. Some bonds may be more mental than others and others more more spiritual than others, and so forth, but I think all four elements need to be there to a certain degree for the bond to exist.

Relationships are trades. You are attracted to people because you think they would be beneficial trade partners.

That is all.

The more you look the less you know.

I for one am not attracted to anyone unless I force myself to be. I can never force myself to be sexually attracted- but I admire those who can. I start 'liking' someone after they like me and am socially pressured into it.

I think it's a social pressure.
A brainwashing mechanism.

Relationships are trades. You are attracted to people because you think they would be beneficial trade partners.

That is all.
That is the essence of it, just as 'UC Berkley' could be explained as 'It is a learning institution, that is all' -- and yet it is more than that generic label, isn't it? Once you describe (among other things) its history, quality of education, methods and doctrine.

Last edited:

That is all.

You reduce all relationships down to social exchange theory?

Explain then why people remain faithful to loved ones who are sick or in comas. Or why some people will go far out of there way to help a friend who has been nothing but a burden to them.

I agree with you to an extent, but people are also always learning and changing and so life is a lot more than just maximizing rewards and minimizing punishments; its a process of growth. Perhaps you see it as just another trade, but people are inherently attracted to those who can help them grow as a person.

You reduce all relationships down to social exchange theory?

Explain then why people remain faithful to loved ones who are sick or in comas. Or why some people will go far out of there way to help a friend who has been nothing but a burden to them.

That's just reinforcement.

Okay, so I guess it isn't all trade. It's trade and conditioning.

Love? I think its a bond that is physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual. It's a connection between you and another person that can never be completely severed once it is formed. Some bonds may be more mental than others and others more more spiritual than others, and so forth, but I think all four elements need to be there to a certain degree for the bond to exist.

Certainly, Satya, your words on Love ring wise and true to me. But! What if the physical element disappears, as you know it must within 100 years for this present body. Does love live on? Is it indefatiguable? Unconquerable? Do you believe this is achievable?

Everyone has needs...you could argue that the person who is faithful to someone in a coma has a need to take care of someone, the need to be pitied by friends and neighbors, a need to feel special and angelic. a need is still being met -- a trade still taking place.

on the other hand, people have mixed motives for doing anything i think.

That is the essence of it, just as 'UC Berkley' could be explained as 'It is a learning institution, that is all' -- and yet it is more than that generic label, isn't it? Once you describe (among other things) its history, quality of education, methods and doctrine.

It's not MORE (except conditioning, which I mentioned in my last post).

UC Berkeley is a learning institution. You can add that it's a specific kind of learning institution. Just like you can add that sexual relationships are a certain kind of relationship. That doesn't make it MORE, it just further specifies.

There's nothing false about calling UC Berkeley a learning institution or a sexual relationship a trade partnership.

(I'm getting excited about my role on this site already!)

Explain then why people remain faithful to loved ones who are sick or in comas. Or why some people will go far out of there way to help a friend who has been nothing but a burden to them. .
Mental Illness?

Certainly, Satya, your words on Love ring wise and true to me. But! What if the physical element disappears, as you know it must within 100 years for this present body. Does love live on? Is it indefatiguable? Unconquerable? Do you believe this is achievable?

After death I don't know exactly what happens. I know as a living human being, I need to at least know what a person looks like to form a bond with them.

I'll probably never love anyone on this site because I could never be sure they are who they say they are. The pictures they post could be fake. Heck, even Shai Gar could really be an 80 year-old grandma in Kentucky for all we know.

If you are trying to ascertain what my spirituality is like, then maybe this post will help...

http://forum.infjs.com/showpost.php?p=50349&postcount=182

It's not MORE (except conditioning, which I mentioned in my last post).

UC Berkeley is a learning institution. You can add that it's a specific kind of learning institution. Just like you can add that sexual relationships are a certain kind of relationship. That doesn't make it MORE, it just further specifies.

There's nothing false about calling UC Berkeley a learning institution or a sexual relationship a trade partnership.

(I'm getting excited about my role on this site already!)
I'm just amused by how you took something which was explained in depth by others and reduced it to its very essence, completely missing the point of the topic.

It would be as if I were to post a topic which asks "How do I get into UC Berkeley?" and you were to say "UC Berkeley is a learning institution which is looking for intelligent applicants"

I'm just amused by how you took something which was explained in depth by others and reduced it to its very essence, completely missing the point of the topic.

It would be as if I were to post a topic which asks "How do I get into UC Berkeley?" and you were to say "UC Berkeley is a learning institution which is looking for intelligent applicants"

I like essences.

Ni+Ti tend to work together like that :)

Also, I did answer the question "what are the causes of sexual attraction". I guess I also could have said, "through natural selection, the humans that take actions that trend towards sex are more likely to pass on their genes. Therefore, there are lots of people out there that take actions towards having sex."

What other answers could I give? The boring, cliche ones? I was trying hard not to use the word "love" in my answer lol.

Also, your analogy isn't parallel with what I said.

Nope my analogy was fairly on point. At least close enough that you can see the point.

Lets look at this:
Question: Which Causes sexual attraction
Answers (type A, specific): scents, genetic fitness, genetic diversity, wealth and power
Answers (type B, essence): You are attracted to people who you think are good trade partners

Question: How do I get into UC berkeley
Answers (type A, specific): high SAT scores, transcripts, references
Answers (type B, essence): It requires proof that you are intelligent and capable of achieving

My point: The type B answers encompass all type A answers but do not give specifics -- which is what the OP asked for

Last edited:
Nope my analogy was fairly on point. At least close enough that you can see the point.

Lets look at this:
Question: Which Causes sexual attraction
Answers (type A, specific): scents, genetic fitness, genetic diversity, wealth and power
Answers (type B, essence): You are attracted to people who you think are good trade partners

Question: How do I get into UC berkeley
Answers (type A, specific): high SAT scores, transcripts, references
Answers (type B, essence): It requires proof that you are intelligent and capable of achieving

My point: The type B answers encompass all type A answers but do not give specifics -- which is what the OP asked for

Your analogy would have been better if you said "what CAUSES someone to get into UC Berkeley". Anyway, I'm nitpicking.

The OP was saying lots of stuff like "good" and "wrong", which I normally just ignore. So I answered the question from the "zoom-out" perspective. It was kinda a joke to answer that way, anyway, since I know no one is ever satisfied by my random philosophies like that. It was meant to goad someone into disagreeing with me. :)

Your mission was highly successful

:md: