What are the causes of sexual attraction? | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

What are the causes of sexual attraction?

Really? You disagree? Then we should move this to pm or face to face shouting match. haha.

Considered yourself slapped in the face with my Glove of Many Challenges +2.

The idea of "Cultural" attraction bugs me. I understand it, but it frustrates me because it reminds me of old-type thinking that certain races (or cultures) belong with others and never the twain shall meet or mingle. I know this is not true. But it does frustrate me that the idea is so prevalent in stick-in-the-mud societies.

I don’t really see this in my world. People are mixing it up like crazy as far as I can tell. In fact, personally, I’m much less likely to be attracted to a girl from my own race. Not that I don’t like them, it’s just that when I’m standing in a room full of people I tend to gloss over those of my race.

In my experience love and sexual attraction are inextricably intertwined. In every romantic relationship I've had, the romantic attraction always came first, followed by sexual attraction. I think this may be different for most men, who seem better able to separate sex and love.

I think it’s true that guys are able to get laid without having any emotional attachment but let me tell you that there are plenty of girls too. I think that this is more a function of how you were raised and how you learned to relate to people from the opposite sex than from any innate instinct (good one eh, innate instinct, as if an instinct could anything but innate).

I read a much more holistic description of attraction. In the first place, there is the existence of a sexual impetus and it can be explained biologically, philosophically, spiritually etc. However, what we are doing is constantly looking for that person that corresponds to the image of what our other half should be like. This image is a combination of all the people we have met before who would somehow fulfill some of the needs we develop while growing up. Therefore, we all have a benchmark in our heads against which we evaluate potential partners.

My two cents.

Reactions: Faye
I think it’s true that guys are able to get laid without having any emotional attachment but let me tell you that there are plenty of girls too. I think that this is more a function of how you were raised and how you learned to relate to people from the opposite sex than from any innate instinct (good one eh, innate instinct, as if an instinct could anything but innate).

I read a much more holistic description of attraction. In the first place, there is the existence of a sexual impetus and it can be explained biologically, philosophically, spiritually etc. However, what we are doing is constantly looking for that person that corresponds to the image of what our other half should be like. This image is a combination of all the people we have met before who would somehow fulfill some of the needs we develop while growing up. Therefore, we all have a benchmark in our heads against which we evaluate potential partners.

My two cents.

I like the idea.

So you guys are what to each other merrytrees and uber?