What are the causes of sexual attraction? | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

What are the causes of sexual attraction?

After death I don't know exactly what happens. I know as a living human being, I need to at least know what a person looks like to form a bond with them.

I'll probably never love anyone on this site because I could never be sure they are who they say they are. The pictures they post could be fake. Heck, even Shai Gar could really be an 80 year-old grandma in Kentucky for all we know.

If you are trying to ascertain what my spirituality is like, then maybe this post will help...

http://forum.infjs.com/showpost.php?p=50349&postcount=182

I suppose we are of a similar ilk in all of this, but I can really love of the people here. I really can and do. I really don't have to know how they presently look though. That is too timed and temporal. I am concerned wtih the mind and it's loves and fabrications, and these things to me are untimed and quite ephemoral, and yet quite lastingly true.
Yes, it's a twist of mind beyond the normal, but a twist I like.

genes. Its all about genes. We're just vessles to pass on our genes. I know it sounds very "inhuman" but think about it. Ultimately, in a relationship, the 2 people would get married and most likely, have children. Genes passed on. There are obvious exceptions ( people who dont want kids ) but then again there are exceptions almost everywhere. As for caring for sick mates, if your mate falls sick and touch wood, dies, there would be no one for you to mate with and pass your genes down. At the same time, you would have to look after the kids on your own.

I'm not saying genes explain all and I sure as feth disagree with myself on some points but it sure does explain some aspects.

Sexual attraction is partially biologically and partially cultural. I think that it is a biological drive that is shaped by cultural forces. The problem with this question really is determining what exactly sexual attraction is. I know who I am attracted to, but I don't exactly know why.

Many people on this thread are talking about love, which is different from sexual attraction in my opinion, and merits its own thread.

Yup, that's the best way to sum it up.

Yes, but it is hard to tell to which degree it is of each. I don't know, but I'm willing to bet that culture has more influence on sexuality than biology does.

Yes, but it is hard to tell to which degree it is of each. I don't know, but I'm willing to bet that culture has more influence on sexuality than biology does.

Perhaps for some people, but not for others.

GayTeenHangingIranISNA1-778777.jpg

Last edited:
Lol....watch the Discovery Channel program The Anatomy of Attraction and the Anatomy of Sex.

Oooh, just saw that this weekend. Interesting, but I wondered how it applied to those of us long past childbearing years or if it's programmed into us so we look for those characteristics whether there is any intent or possibility of having children with a mate. The other unanswered question in my mind at least was how all this applies to gays and Lesbians.

If nothing else, it was in direct contradiction to my romantic notions of love and attraction, which doesn't invalidate the theory; it just makes it unappealing.

Sexual attraction is partially biologically and partially cultural. I think that it is a biological drive that is shaped by cultural forces. The problem with this question really is determining what exactly sexual attraction is. I know who I am attracted to, but I don't exactly know why.

Many people on this thread are talking about love, which is different from sexual attraction in my opinion, and merits its own thread.

In my experience love and sexual attraction are inextricably intertwined. In every romantic relationship I've had, the romantic attraction always came first, followed by sexual attraction. I think this may be different for most men, who seem better able to separate sex and love.

The idea of "Cultural" attraction bugs me. I understand it, but it frustrates me because it reminds me of old-type thinking that certain races (or cultures) belong with others and never the twain shall meet or mingle. I know this is not true. But it does frustrate me that the idea is so prevalent in stick-in-the-mud societies.

The idea of "Cultural" attraction bugs me. I understand it, but it frustrates me because it reminds me of old-type thinking that certain races (or cultures) belong with others and never the twain shall meet or mingle. I know this is not true. But it does frustrate me that the idea is so prevalent in stick-in-the-mud societies.

Yes, I agree completely. In my culture (disability) the assumption goes a step further in that we are assumed by many outside the disability community to be incapable of romantic/sexual relationships with each other. Therefore our relationships are assumed to be platonic friendships no matter how passionate and deep they may in fact be. If the relationship is "mixed" (i.e., one able-bodied partner, the other disabled), the able-bodied partner is often seen as a self-sacrificing saint who is more caregiver than equal partner. This has been my experience or at least my perception.

Perhaps for some people, but not for others.

GayTeenHangingIranISNA1-778777.jpg

Hmm, what does the picture have to do with anything? Also, you seem to be implying that there is a natural (or whatever) sexual tendency. That would be the case if biology influenced some people more.

In my experience love and sexual attraction are inextricably intertwined. In every romantic relationship I've had, the romantic attraction always came first, followed by sexual attraction. I think this may be different for most men, who seem better able to separate sex and love.

Well, I'm sure they are intertwined and binary, but I like to separate them for the sake of simplicity. I guess I don't want to think about how it all actually works because then you end up with the men=pig and women=gold-digger stereotypes. Sure, that is what research shows, but I like to think that I like a girl for more than her body.

Well, it is frustrating. I think some variation of this bothers me almost every day. Think about how Asian males are viewed in American society. Obviously, it does not have to be that way, but it is unfairly ingrained into society.

I'd like to add, however, that it does not necessarily mean that cultures or ethnic-racial categories should never meet and mingle. It could mean that they do to the exclusion of their own race/ethnicity.

The idea that you brought up does exist to some extent in every society in regards to whoever the dominant group is.

It is a terrible and depressing subject, but its also very interesting.

Yes, I agree completely. In my culture (disability) the assumption goes a step further in that we are assumed by many outside the disability community to be incapable of romantic/sexual relationships with each other. Therefore our relationships are assumed to be platonic friendships no matter how passionate and deep they may in fact be. If the relationship is "mixed" (i.e., one able-bodied partner, the other disabled), the able-bodied partner is often seen as a self-sacrificing saint who is more caregiver than equal partner. This has been my experience or at least my perception.

Thank you for writing this.

Hmm, what does the picture have to do with anything? Also, you seem to be implying that there is a natural (or whatever) sexual tendency. That would be the case if biology influenced some people more.

The picture is of homosexuals being hung in Iran. Iranian culture is not friendly toward that particular form of sexuality, but it still exists. Biology does come into play when it comes to sexual attraction.

Oooh, just saw that this weekend. Interesting, but I wondered how it applied to those of us long past childbearing years or if it's programmed into us so we look for those characteristics whether there is any intent or possibility of having children with a mate. The other unanswered question in my mind at least was how all this applies to gays and Lesbians.

I was wondering exactly that same thing during the show. I know of quite a few older people who get into relationships after their own spouses have passed away. I was wondering what the science between choosing a partner is at that point since biology shouldn't be driving them as they are past the reproductive stage of their lives.

I'm hoping that Helen Fisher continues her work and branches it out to the older generations eventually.

The picture is of homosexuals being hung in Iran. Iranian culture is not friendly toward that particular form of sexuality, but it still exists. Biology does come into play when it comes to sexual attraction.

I'm not sure: does that picture demonstrate the importance of biology or culture? It depends on your perspective.

Another thing to consider are third genders in various cultures around the world.

I'm not sure: does that picture demonstrate the importance of biology or culture? It depends on your perspective.

I would say biology. I don't think many people would choose to risk death unless their sexual attraction was genuine and derived from their very biology.

Another thing to consider are third genders in various cultures around the world.
I agree. Two-Spirits of native tribes seem to be an intricate blend of culture and biology. I suppose the nature versus nurture debate has no real answer. Everyone likes to assume it is likely more one than the other, but it probably varies from individual to individual.

Stop trying to escape your biology.
Seriously. Any man I've ever been with.. I'VE been the one taking care of them.. emotionally, financially, etc. etc. pish posh on you even though I know you are just being sarcastic.

Seriously. Any man I've ever been with.. I'VE been the one taking care of them.. emotionally, financially, etc. etc. pish posh on you even though I know you are just being sarcastic.

I dont know who you are trying to kid. I know you better than you wish I did.