What are peoples' first impression?

daydreamer

Permanent Fixture
Jul 10, 2009
MBTI
ENFP
Enneagram
I forget
People say when they first met me they thought I was really smart and in a lot of advanced placement (AP) classes. Plus that I ace all my classes as well.

Are you misjudged as something?

Edit: I forgot to mention that people think this of me usually just because I'm quiet (usually), study, take notes, and know what the homework is. That doesn't make me intelligent, I just work hard.

Last edited:
A nice person. And an alien freak. :)

Oh wait, that's true. *Facedesk.*

People assume I am unaware of people around me, which is very far from the truth.

I'm also finding that, more often then not, people assume me to be straight. Who knew?

People think I don't laugh enough or make enough jokes when they first know me. They get a pretty big surprise if they catch me around my regular group of friends.
The silliness! The vulgarity! The Hypotheticals! All this and more! :m200:

People think I don't laugh enough or make enough jokes when they first know me.

Probably the same with me except for some people might see me as pretentious for some reason. I think everyone sees that I'm darned cute though. :m027:

Upon first impression, people mistake my quietness and aloofness for snobbishness. I am far from a snob, I am quiet because I am uncomfortable around people I don't know well and aloof because I am trying to find my comfort zone.

Reactions: Gaze
They think I'm perfect in all ways, but one.

They also think that I am nice and pleasant, but not sure how to gauge my intelligence level.

Reactions: not sure
Most people think that I'm highly dependent and need help with every little thing, until they get to know me and I try to rip their hands off when they try to help me off a train or something.

They also believe me to be uninterested in day to day stuff, politics, news and current affairs. Considering a study I undertook in highschool pretty well proved that most blind people actually aren't, maybe this is just reasonable thinking.

People also seem to assume that I'm unintelligent, mostly because of my poor spelling [online] and often sighted people can't get their head around a blind person studying something like physics. People often noticeably talk to me as though I'm inferior. I remember once while I was on a train reading my physics text book in braille, some old lady came up to me and said 'enjoying your braille book dearie?'
I just glared at her and read her the title and said 'does that sound like the sort of thing one can 'Enjoy''...

Some people have difficulty understanding the fact that I even exist. in cafes and the like people often ask my friends what I'd like instead of me....It's like they think I'm some braindead zomby or something...

Reactions: Diana
no, this is actually one of the questions I don't consider stupid.

I get asked a lot of questions that are though.

I use a screen reading program which allows me to listen to the forums as opposed to reading them with my eyes. I can use just about any forumk like this one, facebook, msn, skype and lots more like this.

no, this is actually one of the questions I don't consider stupid.

I get asked a lot of questions that are though.

I use a screen reading program which allows me to listen to the forums as opposed to reading them with my eyes. I can use just about any forumk like this one, facebook, msn, skype and lots more like this.

oh, okay, that's really interesting! :D

I asked you this question on your profile so sorry that I asked twice, my bad ^^''

Some people have difficulty understanding the fact that I even exist. in cafes and the like people often ask my friends what I'd like instead of me....It's like they think I'm some braindead zomby or something...

Nah, they don't think you are brain dead. It's just a good portion of communication for sighted people involves the eyes so for people who are unaccustommed to the blind it's a little confusing.

I don't think you did, since it's not telling me you did...

it's all good.

Nah, they don't think you are brain dead. It's just a good portion of communication for sighted people involves the eyes so for people who are unaccustommed to the blind it's a little confusing.

I don't know if I agree with this, especially since I've actually spent a good deal of time training myself to actually make eye contact and look at the people I'm talking to.

When people actually get into a real conversation with me, and by real, I mean something that doesn't involve me playing question and answer about my disability for rudely interested people, they actually begin to understand that I'm an engaging person, I look at people and use body language like any other individual.

oh, and something else people don't get is that I can hear them too. I'll often hear people make comments about me, and when I turn to look at them they become incredibly surprised.

I don't know if I agree with this, especially since I've actually spent a good deal of time training myself to actually make eye contact and look at the people I'm talking to.

When people actually get into a real conversation with me, and by real, I mean something that doesn't involve me playing question and answer about my disability for rudely interested people, they actually begin to understand that I'm an engaging person, I look at people and use body language like any other individual.

oh, and something else people don't get is that I can hear them too. I'll often hear people make comments about me, and when I turn to look at them they become incredibly surprised.

That sounds quite annoying.

haha you should try saying some smart aleck thing when people say that to you like "I'm blind, not deaf: their's a difference" or something really witty lol. It would be pretty funny to see how they react lol it could be a sociology experiment!

It is true, the behaviour is odd especially their assumption that you cannot hear.