Weightlifting and dieting

Wyst

Are you there?
Jun 30, 2009
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I'm curious who else here lifts weights and takes their diet seriously.

I've been lifting and back on my diet for almost two weeks. I'm not super excited about going back to scrambled eggs, cottage cheese with berries mixed in... I need some new ideas!

Weightlifters! What healthy things do you love to eat? (I'm assuming low carb)

Go ahead and share your experience with us too. I'd like to know where you started at and where you are now with your weight loss/gains goals.

I started lifting in March of 2008. I was about 129 back then. At the height of my gains in February of last year, I had gained about 20 lbs and was hanging around 150lb.

Since then I've been fighting off injuries in my rotator cuff, back, and right leg. They're all gone now so I'm back at it. I'm at 140 now.

I've been lifting and back on my diet for almost two weeks. I'm not super excited about going back to scrambled eggs, cottage cheese with berries mixed in... I need some new ideas!

Go ahead and share your experience with us too. I'd like to know where you started at and where you are now with your weight loss/gains goals.

I started lifting in March of 2008. I was about 129 back then. At the height of my gains in February of last year, I had gained about 20 lbs and was hanging around 150lb.

Since then I've been fighting off injuries in my rotator cuff, back, and right leg. They're all gone now so I'm back at it. I'm at 140 now.

I lift weights. I'm generally more of a power lifter, although I have been doing a lot of hypertrophy type body building lately, as I am focusing on sheer bulk atm.

If you want to bulk up, you need to EAT, EAT, EAT, EAT, EAT. At least 30% of your diet should be healthy carbs. Try to avoid carbs 6 or so hours before bedtime, tho.

My favorite foods:
Chicken breast, turkey breast, ham, steak (beef or bison). (From a deli or the butcher, prepackaged crap is way over processed)
Ezekiel Bread (amazing, must check out)
Low Carb Bread (from Natural Ovens, equally amazing)
Eggs (of course)
Optimum Nutrition Whey Protein Isolate
Lots of green vegetables, eat at night to keep carb cravings down, lol.

I highly reccommend compound lifts, like:
Deadlifts, squats, pull-ups (weighted if u like), overhead barbell press, Weighted sit-ups.

I know that you have sustained injuries, but with proper dynamic stretching and maintaining PERFECT FORM EVERY TIME, you will heal from your injuries faster than if you didn't lift (assuming ur injuries bother u at all, which they seem not to). My buddy actually had major injuries to his knees, and by doing squats regularly and with good form, his knees don't even twinge anymore.

Isolations are fine, but should not be your main focus.

I started lifting when I was overweight and still have a little bit of a belly (i hate cardio), but I've been at it for 6 months and am down 60lbs total, and my body fat % has shifted tremendously. I estimate I've lost over 80lbs of fat and gained 20 lb of muscle.

Hope I helped :D

Just started about a month ago to get back into shape.

I was doing the p90x before this past summer and I weighed healthy 138.

I gained about 10 pounds since not working out.I joined a gym and Im looking forward to gaining more muscle though. So far my workout schedule is following:

2 times a week one hour of bootcamp kickboxing
One hour of yoga/stretch a week
Trying get two sessions of weightlifting days - focusing on heavy weights.
And the rest of the time I just do a lot of cardio - usually high intensity interval training and little bit of long endurance running or cycling if I am up for it.

Diet, - lots of eggs, bananas,oatmeal,fruits, chicken, salmon, whole wheat bagels with peanut butter as snack. I cant quite quit the carbs completely, but I try my best. Lots of water. Some whey protein shakes on weight training days for post workout drink.

Last edited:
That's awesome ENTroP. I stinkin' love Ezekiel bread too. Slather some natty PB on some toasted Ezekiel bread and... I could slam down 4 slices easy.

I do almost no islolation work - my big ones are RDLs, GMs, front and back squats, rack pulls, and weighted pull-ups. If I'm eating right and do my reps with the right form, I never have to do isolation work - which is nice.

I also hate cardio. The one kind of cardio that I can do is street biking. Hopping curbs, in and out of parking lots, sometimes almost getting hit by a car that didn't see me. The adrenaline keeps it interesting.

Just started about a month ago to get back into shape.

I was doing the p90x before this past summer and I weighed healthy 138.

I gained about 5 pounds since not working out.I joined a gym and Im looking forward to gaining more muscle though. So far my workout schedule is following:

2 times a week one hour of bootcamp kickboxing
One hour of yoga/stretch a week
Trying get two sessions of weightlifting days - focusing on heavy weights.
And the rest of the time I just do a lot of cardio - usually high intensity interval training and little bit of long endurance running or cycling if I am up for it.

Diet, - lots of eggs, bananas, whole wehat bagels with peanut butter as snack. I cant quite quit the carbs completely, but I try my best. Lots of water. Some whey protein shakes on weight training days for post workout drink.

That's great, solongotgon. Like ENTroP said, definitely focus on the big lifts. This will focus one your core muscles. No matter how strong or toned different parts of your body might be, having a weak core is asking for injuries and future health problems.

Plus, having a strong core will go a long way in enabling you to lift heavier.

That's great, solongotgon. Like ENTroP said, definitely focus on the big lifts. This will focus one your core muscles. No matter how strong or toned different parts of your body might be, having a weak core is asking for injuries and future health problems.

Plus, having a strong core will go a long way in enabling you to lift heavier.

Yes, I agree. Lot of the times I try to use my own body weight to strengthen my core as well.:m163:

I have lost 65 pounds since last year. I don't get super detailed about my diet, I simply don't like to research it that much, but perhaps someday I will.

My primary focus has been cardio because I need to lose weight first. I dance normally, although I mix in striking, but dancing overall is more effective. I cut alcohol almost completely out of my diet, I focus heavily on fruits and vegetables and white meats. I try to keep my daily intake to less than 1000 calories but it has been damn hard after I quit smoking and when depression starts to hit me.

I also lift weights, but I don't get technical about it. I focus on upper body because my legs get a crazy workout from dancing.

I lift weights and watch my junk food intake.

I weighed 155 lbs before my husband died.
My appetite got cut to a third,
so I made sure I ate salads and food that was good for me.
I went almost 6 months without craving any junk food or even chocolate.
As a matter of fact, when I DID eat some, it sat like a rock in my stomach.

Anyhow... after 6 months of eating healthy, I got down to 135... which is where I should be anyway. (Actually, I could bear to lose another 10 lbs., but I don't have any confidence in my ability to accomplish that.)

I have been doing some light weight-lifting and weight-bearing exercises, just to tone up and strengthen my muscles. It's my goal to do my routine 3 times per week.

INTJMom lifts weights! Just when I thought she couldn't get any cooler.

Reactions: INTJMom
I'm in America and I have been trying to eat 'healthy' meaning no fastfood haha, seeing as alot is very UNhealthy. However, I have been trapped in an evil circle where I FAIL at this diet lately xD

It is like I have fallen into the trap of eating out only because it is very convenient. I mean basically every exit on the highway has a huge sign with different fast food places. It is almost like commercial propaganda!!!! ;o I even noticed how quickly I've been Americanized in the sense that when we e.g. go to walmart, I want to be the closest to the entrance XD

Well, I work with weights; I just haven't been as consistent in my regime for the last month or so. I keep stopping and starting. Same with my diet. So I'm a bit ashamed for being a slacker and wandering into this thread.

I do run religiously, though. Almost every day. It's my only saving grace, because lately, I've all but been using my body as a garbage disposal. It's a tough habit to break when you clamber into it again.

Right now, I'm at 158 lbs and 24% body fat. My ideal is 135 lbs and 20 - 21 % body fat. Realistically, it should take me a good month or two to trim down again. My New Years resolution would be to maybe get a rockin' four pack for the spring-time. Belly-button rings don't look too nice with your gut hanging out. Which is why I am not showing pictures. You can punch me in the stomach, feel a rocky wall but still leave a memory-print... :/

And I think it has largely to do with the fact that I've been sitting on my ass most of the day, talking to you guys. Damn you for being so interesting to banter with! :p

When I'm in my militant training mode, though, my diet is solely responsible for a devastating genocide of chickens, and no complex carb or vegetable under a 75 G.I is safe. Sugar intake is under 25 g. and I avoid dairy and select fruits completely.

We should start a motivational group! INFJ's: Fit and Fab in 2010 :D

Last edited:
I lift weights and watch my junk food intake.

I weighed 155 lbs before my husband died.
My appetite got cut to a third,
so I made sure I ate salads and food that was good for me.
I went almost 6 months without craving any junk food or even chocolate.
As a matter of fact, when I DID eat some, it sat like a rock in my stomach.

Anyhow... after 6 months of eating healthy, I got down to 135... which is where I should be anyway. (Actually, I could bear to lose another 10 lbs., but I don't have any confidence in my ability to accomplish that.)

I have been doing some light weight-lifting and weight-bearing exercises, just to tone up and strengthen my muscles. It's my goal to do my routine 3 times per week.

INTJMom, you are a true inspiration!

I'm curious who else here lifts weights and takes their diet seriously...

I've been lifting weights for more years than I'd like to admit and I'm currently the strongest I've ever been. I'm mostly interested in a high strength to body weight ratio, that is, relative strength. I've found that the key is to lift heavy with fewer reps. Also, the stronger you get, the bigger you get. Body weight exercises are good, too. Just look at olympic gymnasts.

OTOH, there is not a lot of good science behind our understanding of strength training, unfortunately. Many of the studies that exist are for people with disorders. The comparatively few investigations of healthy people usually studied small numbers of subjects or were poorly designed protocols. It's easier to get funded to study disorders and diseases. OTOH, recently, some really interesting concepts have emerged. See, Tabata protocols (and other high intensity interval training protocols) & occlusion training, which may be dangerous, but I've been experimenting with it nonetheless, just because it's so interesting yet weird.

Exercise science is very interesting notwithstanding that many trainers seem to think their own particular ways are best and everyone else's is idiotic. Generally, I've found in life that there is rarely only "one way."

To me, the best, ultimate training regime is "crossfit" (see crossfit.com), in which my son takes part. It's extremely rigorous and combines olympic lifting with gymnastics and other "extreme" exercises. I'm too old, despite what my son says.

Reactions: INTJMom
Well, I work with weights; I just haven't been as consistent in my regime for the last month or so. I keep stopping and starting. Same with my diet. So I'm a bit ashamed for being a slacker and wandering into this thread.

Right now, I'm at 158 lbs and 24% body fat. My ideal is 135 lbs and 20 - 21 % body fat. Realistically, it should take me a good month or two to trim down again. My New Years resolution would be to maybe get a rockin' four pack for the spring-time. Belly-button rings don't look too nice with your gut hanging out. Which is why I am not showing pictures. You can punch me in the stomach, feel a rocky wall but still leave a memory-print... :/

When I'm in my militant training mode, though, my diet is solely responsible for a devastating genocide of chickens, and no complex carb or vegetable under a 75 G.I is safe. Sugar intake is under 25 g. and I avoid dairy and select fruits completely.

We should start a motivational group! INFJ's: Fit and Fab in 2010 :D

Don't you dare feel ashamed for posting in this thread.

Wow, sounds like you know your macros pretty well. How many calories are you taking in every day? Do you have a favorite lift?
Mine is either RDLs or weighted pull-ups.

Your goals sound solid. When will you start with a vengence? Once the holidays are over?

To me, the best, ultimate training regime is "crossfit" (see crossfit.com), in which my son takes part. It's extremely rigorous and combines olympic lifting with gymnastics and other "extreme" exercises. I'm too old, despite what my son says.

I agree. Crossfit is an excellent program. I'm considering switching over to crossfit but only after I rebuild my fundamental strength first (it's only been two weeks since I've been back in the gym).

I used to be hard core into weightlifting and martial arts but depression takes a huge toll on the mind.
:m097: I feel like this monkey on most days.

I am hoping to get back into martial arts after the new year.

I used to be hard core into weightlifting and martial arts but depression takes a huge toll on the mind.
:m097: I feel like this monkey on most days.

I am hoping to get back into martial arts after the new year.

Did your depression start while you were working out? Or did it manifest itself in a period of time in which you did not work out?

I lifted when my RA would in essence walk into my room and say I'm going lifting with him. I also played basketball with those guys as well.
The last year or so I've been relegated to max out crunches and pushups

as far as diet it is a mess as I either eat little but right or a lot of junk. Thankfully my metabolism is in sync and I float between 190 to 200lbs. I wish I had time to lift again:mtap:

Did your depression start while you were working out? Or did it manifest itself in a period of time in which you did not work out?

It started after I stopped, I stopped because of school and injury to my right leg.

I love to eat oatmeal, not because it's tasty, but because of the sustaining energy it gives you.

Other than that, chicken filet, salmon, shrimps, eggs (found out i'm allergic so no more eggs :( )

Bananas, potatoes, broccoli, carrots (contains for instance beta karoten and other substances which reduces muscle atrophy), and cheese (due to it's high content of casein protein, i.e long lasting protein which reduces muscle atrophy)

And of course the ultimate testosterone booster, steaks.

Other than that, if you're doing strength workout, I'd reccomend to keep it within the 30 min range and instead have short breaks and a very intensive workout, this is due to glycogen storeage in your cells and testosterone, which takes a huge hit when you lift heavy weights, as such you want to minimize the time your glycogen and testo is in the gutter.

As for supplements.

Zinc, magnesium, chrome, and vitamin c. Well and protein powder ofc

Last edited:
Reactions: Solongo

Try this quiz, it will help you understand your body build better and how you can work with it. My build is a Endo/Mesomorph.
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/becker3.htm

I'm a vegetarian. Back when I was weight lifting and doing martial arts (I'm planning to go back) this is was what I was eating;

Egg whites
Egg yolks
Trim milk
Protien whey
Protien bars (usually at work)
Lentils
Peanut butter
Rice
Green leafy vegetables
Fruit
Root vegetables
Oats
Green tea
Tofu
Nuts
Creatine supplements
Personally I hate cottage cheese. :m049:

However If you are not Vegetarian here are some good meat choices;

Fish - Salmon, Tuna, Eel, Trevally, Snapper, Bream etc. Make sure you get a nice mixture of fish into your diet, not only is it packed with omega 3 but its also a very lean source of protein. Stick to your fish that is high in oil in the evening, you want to increase your protiens and decrease your carbs. Fish that is higher in oil tends to fill you up more.
Fish is handy because you can buy it in a can and eat as a snack on the go.

Chicken - Take the skin off, chicken on the bone (cuts of chicken with the bone still in) taste the best.

Beef - Steak is a good bulking meat. Make sure you trim the fat off and grill it. Beef is packed with creatine and iron. Creatine is important in your diet for speedy muscle recovery. Creatine can also be found in high numbers in fish, liver and kidney. Creatine comes from the greek word Kreas which means flesh.
Beef, depending on where you live probably works out the cheapest by the kilo.

For speedy muscle recovery make sure you are drinking plenty of water. Water has been shown to help muscle cramping after a heavy workout, make sure you have that shower after training. Also don't forget to stretch your muscles after training rather than before and during as this can increase the likeliness of injury while training and make sure to get plenty of sleep, at least 8 hours.

Last edited:
Reactions: ENTroP