Vipassana Meditation | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Vipassana Meditation

Template errors

• Template public:share_page_macros: [E_USER_WARNING] Function x_logo is unknown (src/XF/Template/Templater.php:1109)
  • An upgrade is pending. The forum is only accessible in debug mode.
    Complete upgrade
In the following article they use an EEG to study the brain-wave activity. They are focusing on Gamma level waves which are a step up in frequency from Beta.

Thank you, another great article. I pulled out one of my daughter's QEEGs. The report is a couple hundred pages. Flipping through it quickly, I wasn't able to find any reference to Gamma level waves. But I know my equipment will measures Gamma. I remember I had it set up with the parameter of 22-32hz defined as High Beta. I'll have to look through some of my paperwork more thoroughly when I get some time.

I think it would be good for me to try and muddle my way through the study that the above article was based on. Do you have any tricks on navigating the PNAS site?

I think one of the most fascinating topics in neuroscience right now is the concept of neurons communicating over electromagnetic frequencies when not directly connected.
This article goes over some of the details.

Yea, I agree. Fascinating. However I have to admit most of this article was over my head. The little that I understand about how the brain works, has been self taught. But it would be fun to take a class.

Reactions: Stu
The transformative effect of Vipassana is the focus of a lovely film titled The Dhamma Brothers. I recommend it.

It finally came available through Netflix. Reaffirmed why I need to learn this form of meditation. Hearing these tough guys talk about how they can experience their feelings with out acting on them was amazing!

Iv'e been doing simple breathing meditation for a while now, but never focused on something I'd wish to achieve, I just sortoff dived in without any knowledge on it really.

I will read all the links given in this dicussion, thank you all.

I have been experimenting with various types of meditation and i have been focused lately on chakra meditation. Openinga nd closing my chakras as well as increasing my energy frequency. I find that binurial beats cuts the time to get into a deep alpha and delta states of meditation.

I am looking forward to seeing the recomended move.:mhula:

I like both concepts and leave myself open to each teaching me something.
I agree...and there is a lot of wonderful dialogue, teaching, and experience-sharing going on among the various traditions about this, even at leadership levels. The gist is that the external histories and practices may be very different among faith traditions, but the interior dynamics of the spiritual life are really quite similar, compliment each other, and even illuminate each other.

Reactions: bagelriffic
From what I can gather, it is very boring.

And if you're not bored, you're probably doing it wrong.

From what I can gather, it is very boring.

And if you're not bored, you're probably doing it wrong.

WHAT??!!

Not the kind of meditation I do...

It's anything but.

I agree...and there is a lot of wonderful dialogue, teaching, and experience-sharing going on among the various traditions about this, even at leadership levels. The gist is that the external histories and practices may be very different among faith traditions, but the interior dynamics of the spiritual life are really quite similar, compliment each other, and even illuminate each other

+1 couldn't agree more

This is a very enlightening thread.

I recently finished reading through "the Quantum and the Lotus", a dialogue between an astrophysicist raised in a Buddhist family and a Buddhist monk trained in molecular biology (circa 2000).

In the last couple months I've become more dedicated in my meditations but as of yet lack the means to attend any retreats.

I just wanted to voice my thanks for all the resources and experiences shared in this thread.

And I'm happy I finally discovered the Philosophy and Religion discussions on the infjs forums : )

[MENTION=2578]K-gal[/MENTION];
Thanks for the link.
http://www.dharmaseed.org/teacher/175/
As you suggested I just followed my intuition and chose to first listen to her talk on Refuge In Loving Presence. She spoke about how many people tend to be critical of their meditation experiences and how it is difficult to do things we don't feel we are good at. This made so much sense to me. Being a bit of a perfectionist, the notion of doing something that I doubt I can do well is more than a little distasteful. After listening to her talk, I did the guided meditation. It was very nice. So again, thank you for the link.

[MENTION=1939]Dave[/MENTION]
Oh, no! She's sure to get banned now.

Another stratagem, Tantric Buddhism, is nearly the reverse. Conscious thought, at least the way we usually do it, is the manifestation of ego, the you that you usually think that you are. Conscious thought is tightly connected with self-concept. The self-concept or ego is nothing more than a set of reactions and mental images which are artificially pasted to the flowing process of pure awareness. Tantra seeks to obtain pure awareness by destroying this ego image. This is accomplished by a process of visualization. The student is given a particular religious image to meditate upon, for example, one of the deities from the Tantric pantheon. He does this in so thorough a fashion that he becomes that entity. He takes off his own identity and puts on another. This takes a while, as you might imagine, but it works. During the process, he is able to watch the way that the ego is constructed and put in place. He comes to recognize the arbitrary nature of all egos, including his own, and he escapes from bondage to the ego. He is left in a state where he may have an ego if he so chooses, either his own or whichever other he might wish, or he can do without one. Result: pure awareness. Tantra is not exactly a game of patty cake either.
I've been doing that type of Meditation for about 3 years almost. I never knew there was a certain type of meditation dedicated to it. o_O

Lately though because I have stopped meditation for no reason whatsoever, I felt I have lost contact with this other ego I have built up over the years. I shall get right back onto it! ^_^
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

@K-gal;
Thanks for the link.
http://www.dharmaseed.org/teacher/175/
As you suggested I just followed my intuition and chose to first listen to her talk on Refuge In Loving Presence. She spoke about how many people tend to be critical of their meditation experiences and how it is difficult to do things we don't feel we are good at. This made so much sense to me. Being a bit of a perfectionist, the notion of doing something that I doubt I can do well is more than a little distasteful. After listening to her talk, I did the guided meditation. It was very nice. So again, thank you for the link.

@Dave
Oh, no! She's sure to get banned now.

You're welcome Norwich! I really find much comfort in Tara's wisdom.

I've been doing that type of Meditation for about 3 years almost. I never knew there was a certain type of meditation dedicated to it. o_O

Lately though because I have stopped meditation for no reason whatsoever, I felt I have lost contact with this other ego I have built up over the years. I shall get right back onto it! ^_^

Free Mind?

Where did you get that quote on Tantric Buddhism? I like the description of the Ego.

Have you seen April's post on the Ego? http://forums.infjs.com/showthread.php?p=405447#post405447

So you developed an Alter Ego? Were you completely different than who you used to be?

For anyone interested in some free information on practicing Mindfulness (and Insight meditation) here is the link to a pdf.

http://www.urbandharma.org/pdf/mindfulness_in_plain_english.pdf

We will begin reading/discussing this book in my meditation group in 2 weeks. There are several people in the group who've already read it and they say it's direct and to the point.

[MENTION=2716]Norwich[/MENTION] [MENTION=7]tovlo[/MENTION] [MENTION=3052]kucala[/MENTION] [MENTION=1834]sandra_b[/MENTION] [MENTION=698]anica[/MENTION]

It's found at the same website NAI mentions in this thread.
sigh... I miss talking with him about this stuff. Wish I could give him a hug. :hug:

Reactions: Norwich
I miss him too! Very much!

Thanks. I'll check it out. I really liked the book excerpt that NAI linked.

Reactions: Kgal
For anyone interested in some free information on practicing Mindfulness (and Insight meditation) here is the link to a pdf.

http://www.urbandharma.org/pdf/mindfulness_in_plain_english.pdf

We will begin reading/discussing this book in my meditation group in 2 weeks. There are several people in the group who've already read it and they say it's direct and to the point.

I can vouch for the book myself. It's direct, well-written and pretty much perfect.

I think the ebook section on that site was smaller last time I visited, not really sure. I also read "The Noble Eightfold Path — by Bhikkhu Bodhi," and it was a very enlightening book on the subject. Well-written and interesting.

http://www.urbandharma.org/udharma5/ebooks.html

The Dhamma Brothers was mentioned earlier in the thread. It's a very moving and sad movie. I found the extreme skepticism and ignorance related to the politics around the program to be sad. I though we all knew better.

I kept up daily viapassana meditation for over a month. I intend to make it a habbit, but not right now. It involves becoming intimate with my pain, and that's unpleasant - and not something I take lightly. If I rush it and the timing is wrong I might bite over more than I can handle.

I plan to go to a vipassana retreat later this year.

I plan to go to a vipassana retreat later this year.

Who will be the Teacher/Leader?

Will it be a 4 day Silent retreat?

I'm grinning thinking about you going. I don't know if/what I expected when I went on mine - but it was a total surprise.

What's a vipassana retreat? =o