NeverAmI

Satisclassifaction
Retired Staff
Sep 22, 2009
MBTI
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]The Vipassana meditator uses his concentration as a tool by which his awareness can chip away at the wall of illusion which cuts him off from the living light of reality. It is a gradual process of ever-increasing awareness and into the inner workings of reality itself. It takes years, but one day the meditator chisels through that wall and tumbles into the presence of light. The transformation is complete. It's called liberation, and it's permanent. Liberation is the goal of all buddhist systems of practice. But the routes to attainment of the end are quite diverse.[/FONT]
Anyone here practice it?

I have recently decided to pursue this method of meditation. I am curious of any experiences others may have with it. If you have experience with Samatha meditation (or really any other method) I would be interested in that as well.

This is the website the above quote is from and that I am using to learn:

http://www.urbandharma.org/udharma4/mpe1-4.html

This is primarily what I practice, and have been for the last few years =) Haven't been to any retreats for it though. The culture of people it seems to attract are a bit odd lol.

An interesting side note - The whole notion of focusing on breath is also a common Christian meditation practice. While the goal of Vipassana is essentially as this website states, liberation; the Christian goal (through the same practice of focusing on what is referred to as the Sacred Breath) is to be in the presence of God.

I like both concepts and leave myself open to each teaching me something. Just thought I'd mention this for the Christians here, as the whole concept is completely transferrable to any religion, or lack thereof.

Reactions: grt$5vb
I practice Vipassana meditation. I found Jack Kornfield and his books/audios very helpful in my understanding of what the east teaches. He was an American graduate who went to Thailand/Cambodia and became a monk there for a time before coming back to the states and begin teaching. He has some short guided meditations with silence interspersed throughout that are really great to start your practice in his book "Meditation for Beginners".

Here is a description of what Amazon has for it:
Have you ever thought about trying meditation, but didn't know where to start? With Meditation for Beginners, trusted teacher Jack Kornfield shows you how simple it is to start--and stick with--a daily meditation practice. Now, this indispensable guide that has sold more than 100,000 copies in previous formats, is available in paperback for the first time. "Insight" or vipassana meditation is the time-honored skill of moment-to-moment mindfulness which results in greater clarity and "effortless flow" in any situation. In this complete course created especially for beginners, renowned teacher Jack Kornfield offers a straightforward, step-by-step method for bringing the fruits of insight meditation into your life. Using the six guided meditations on the included CD, readers will discover how easy it is to use the breath, physical sensations--and even difficult emotions--to create tranquility and lovingkindness in everyday life. These simple, elegant practices are so easy to learn that readers will begin enjoying the benefits of meditation immediately--while laying the foundation for a lifetime of inner discovery and awakening.
Here is a link to the book. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1591799422/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=1564558673&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1EFTJPGHN8W0S4FV60KF"]Amazon.com: Meditation for Beginners (9781591799429): Jack Kornfield: Books[/ame]

I've been practicing for about 3 years. It's hard to put into words the changes I have experienced in myself due to this concept and principles. They are profound and I am very grateful for having been introduced to this type of meditation. I had tried others over the years and there is nothing to compare with this.

I will say only this: You practice and practice and just like any skill you might not notice the subtle changes in ability. Then one day you wake up and low and behold - you have got it. Each new ability builds upon the last and goes on and on.

" May you be at ease and free from suffering."

And yes Wyote is right about it also being a method the Christians use as well. Jack talks about that in his meditations and book. Buddhism is not a religion, nor a philosophy. It is direct practice with direct results.

Namaste.

Reactions: Psalm and mooseman
The transformative effect of Vipassana is the focus of a lovely film titled The Dhamma Brothers. I recommend it.

cheers,
Ian

The transformative effect of Vipassana is the focus of a lovely film titled The Dhamma Brothers. I recommend it.

cheers,
Ian

I saw this movie, and now I strongly feel I want to attend a Vipassana retreat at least once before I die. Thanks for recommending the movie.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA8XFEyeMi8"]YouTube - The Dhamma Brothers Trailer[/ame]

Well, the other day I ordered the book mentioned by K-gal. For a long time I have practiced Western defined meditation. For the last couple of years I've had this sense that Eastern style mediation would be very beneficial for me. But I've never been able to stick with it long enough to notice any changes. Just curious, has any one noticed a decrease in social anxiety since beginning Vipassana meditation?

Well, the other day I ordered the book mentioned by K-gal. For a long time I have practiced Western defined meditation. For the last couple of years I've had this sense that Eastern style mediation would be very beneficial for me. But I've never been able to stick with it long enough to notice any changes. Just curious, has any one noticed a decrease in social anxiety since beginning Vipassana meditation?

I have noticed an increase in awareness, which has helped me to be more conscious of how I am acting around others and, while my experiences are still quite early, I have already noticed the factors that will initiate change.

I think social anxiety is a culmination of a number of different factors, self-image and guilt play a big part in mine, and I can say that Vipassana helps with both of those.

Reactions: hush and Psalm
Thank you NAI. I know on an intuitive level that I should be meditating. But that doesn't seem to be enough to motivate me to stick with it. Guess that's why I'm asking questions. Hoping that maybe logic will have a better chance at battling my ego. When I told my acupuncturist about my struggles, she said that it was my ego that didn't want to give up control. When did you first think that meditation would benefit you? Was it difficult for you to stick with it at first? Hope I haven't hijacked this thread. Sorry if I have.

Norwich and Resistance

Thank you NAI. I know on an intuitive level that I should be meditating. But that doesn't seem to be enough to motivate me to stick with it. Guess that's why I'm asking questions. Hoping that maybe logic will have a better chance at battling my ego. When I told my acupuncturist about my struggles, she said that it was my ego that didn't want to give up control. When did you first think that meditation would benefit you? Was it difficult for you to stick with it at first? Hope I haven't hijacked this thread. Sorry if I have.

Hey [MENTION=2716]Norwich[/MENTION].

You sound as if you are really pushing yourself hard - and naturally your ego is pushing back by making you feel anxious about this little adventure called insight meditation. Please consider relaxing about it for a while.

From my experience there will be some amazement at what you discover about your outer layer self - like how your body feels when you breathe. What it is to experience how the shampoo likes to adhere to your hair. Stuff like that. Then there will be some depression or other type of mood distraction because your Ego is not real sure about what's going on and it resists. Then you'll finally decide to start practice again because it just makes sense. I figure it'll happen again - but maybe not in that order. I'll know - though - that it's the pattern of me - and I'll pick it back up where I left off.
I can say - like neverami - that you begin to see an effect on your behaviors and emotions. You'll start to see some equanimity - an evenness (is that a word?) - in your logical thinking and your non reactionary mindset will increase.

Perhaps you can view this next learning experience with curiosity and a sense of adventure. As if you decided to go on a picnic at a state park in a beautiful setting along the lake. This adventure is packed with possibilities - both negative and positive - yes? It could be blue skies and a cool breeze. It could be rainy and cold. You don't know - do you? Yet - you plan the picnic with a little bit of the anticipation of having a good time - right? You could view your meditation tryout the same way.

At any rate - I hate to see you worrying about your "non motivation", as you say, to do meditation. Actually - I think it's said that you will get what you focus on and for the most part, in my life, I have found that to be true. So be careful what you're "berating yourself for " these days. That's a sort of a focus - yes?

Kick back for a bit.

It'll happen.

:hug:

Last edited:
[MENTION=2578]K-gal[/MENTION];

Thanks for the encouragement and insight into your experience.

You sound as if you are really pushing yourself hard - and naturally your ego is pushing back by making you feel anxious about this little adventure called insight meditation.

I'm not feeling anxious. Excited yes. Honestly, I just love to analyze behavior. Because I am my most accessible subject, I'm forever contemplating what motivates me to do the things I do. So it isn't that I'm worrying about my "non-motivation." Intrigued by it, yes.

Perhaps you can view this next learning experience with curiosity and a sense of adventure.
I am. I love adventure and after reading this thread I'm even more curious.

When did you first think that meditation would benefit you?
Meditation didn't become tangibly beneficial in my mind as an exercise until I read some scientific studies on the effects of meditation, such as here.

I also watched The Dharma Brothers movie that Mooseman suggested and found that to be a very motivational video.

Was it difficult for you to stick with it at first?

Sometimes I find myself wanting to look at my timer to see how much time is left in a 20 minute session. I started the first day with a 10 minute session and that wasn't too bad.

However, when I first started I did get a bit anxious at first, I was thinking, "wow, I have to spend all of this time with just myself and no stimulation???"

I have overcome that though, and it was well worth it.

I have been meditating every day, except one day that I missed a session. There is a fine line between gently guiding yourself forward and not becoming overwhelmed with details in meditation.

As long as I meditate in some form, that is good enough. I figure it will evolve on its own. I am doing Vipassana still but I find I have to ground myself with Samatha sometimes or my mind runs rampant.

Hope I haven't hijacked this thread. Sorry if I have.

Not at all, thank you for the questions and keeping the thread alive. :)

Reactions: hush
Been busy reading Mindfulness in Plain English and just started the book K-gal recommended.

[MENTION=1779]NeverAmI[/MENTION]: Thanks, I just checked out this link.
Meditation didn't become tangibly beneficial in my mind as an exercise until I read some scientific studies on the effects of meditation, such as here.
Fascinating. Are you familiar with Neurofeedback? It's a therapy which involves "training" frequencies with in the brain using a visual or auditory reward. My daughters have utilized this type of therapy in an attempt to get their beta waves down within normal ranges. If you ever come across a study talking about how meditation effects beta waves, I would very much appreciative it if you forward it to me.

[MENTION=251]Wyote[/MENTION]: you mentioned in your blog that you started meditating as a child, age six I think. Did your parents meditate? Growing up did you notice a difference between how you reacted to things as opposed to your peers?

you mentioned in your blog that you started meditating as a child, age six I think. Did your parents meditate? Growing up did you notice a difference between how you reacted to things as opposed to your peers?

Yea my parents actually lived with Maharishi for a while before I was born. They did TM and so they put me in some TM stuff (I wanted to do it though, they did not force me at all) and later they got into Centering Prayer which I also did with them. They have run workshops on it which I've attended as well.

The main difference looking back now was that I was much more patient than my peers. I don't get anxious waiting and I've never had a negative attitude for very long. If something doesn't go my way I'll get upset but I have also usually been able to let it go sooner than my peers.

Last edited:
Reactions: grt$5vb
Anyone here practice it?

I have recently decided to pursue this method of meditation. I am curious of any experiences others may have with it. If you have experience with Samatha meditation (or really any other method) I would be interested in that as well.

This is the website the above quote is from and that I am using to learn:

http://www.urbandharma.org/udharma4/mpe1-4.html

I haven't tried either of those forms of meditation, but the first one especially sounds really cool. Thanks for the link. I'm going to check it out.

Yea my parents actually lived with Maharishi for a while before I was born. They did TM and so they put me in some TM stuff (I wanted to do it though, they did not force me at all) and later they got into Centering Prayer which I also did with them. They have run workshops on it which I've attended as well.

The main difference looking back now was that I was much more patient than my peers. I don't get anxious waiting and I've never had a negative attitude for very long. If something doesn't go my way I'll get upset but I have also usually been able to let it go sooner than my peers.

Wyote, you must have the world's coolest parents. We could definitely use you at the congregate facility.

Yea, it's kind of ridiculous how awesome they are actually =)

Reactions: Kgal
If you ever come across a study talking about how meditation effects beta waves, I would very much appreciative it if you forward it to me.

[MENTION=2716]Norwich[/MENTION]

In the following article they use an EEG to study the brain-wave activity. They are focusing on Gamma level waves which are a step up in frequency from Beta.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A43006-2005Jan2.html

Davidson said that the results unambiguously showed that meditation activated the trained minds of the monks in significantly different ways from those of the volunteers. Most important, the electrodes picked up much greater activation of fast-moving and unusually powerful gamma waves in the monks, and found that the movement of the waves through the brain was far better organized and coordinated than in the students. The meditation novices showed only a slight increase in gamma wave activity while meditating, but some of the monks produced gamma wave activity more powerful than any previously reported in a healthy person, Davidson said.

I haven't heard anything about neurofeedback, I will have to check it out. Thank you!

How cool! I would love to attend one of those workshops. For a while I was very interested in Centering Prayer. Left several messages with the Center for Lay Contemplatives here in my area. No one ever returned my calls.:(

I think one of the most fascinating topics in neuroscience right now is the concept of neurons communicating over electromagnetic frequencies when not directly connected.

This article goes over some of the details.