Ultimate Difference Between INFP and INFJ | Page 5 | INFJ Forum

Ultimate Difference Between INFP and INFJ

I find it interesting that no one's asked me what I've tested as, or about the Johari/Nohari Window, or what my friends and family and people on typology forums have said.

Well, that would probably color our perception.

Now, can't say for sure if you're INFP or any other type. But your responses seem quite Fi. But I'm not sure whether you're Te or Ti. But you seem more Ti than Te. When you said, you don't like authority and don't like being in authority, which suggests a very laissez faire approach, I was almost sure you were an NF. But you seem to be a strong feeler, express quite a bit of Fe on the forum. I could also see you as a ISFJ. You do have a nurturing vibe about you which is typical of ISFJs.

I can't say for certain because I'm no expert but your responses to those questions so far give me a little more INFP than INFJ vibe. Particularly the first one.

It's entirely possible that my vibe on that is a little biased though because I've had INFP on the mind a lot lately. I finally zeroed in on my type as INFP just from reading through INFP message boards and watching videos. There isn't a doubt in my mind anymore. It was like watching my inner self on screen, it was really bizarre but also sort of liberating.

I've watched a bunch of INFP videos, and it just seems like they're all so "effete" and timid and spacey--even the male INFPs.

No offense to INFPs, but I just don't think I'm like that.

I'm not "macho" by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm fairly assertive and probably more "earthy" or at least more "down to earth" than INFPs seem to be.

Sometimes that makes me think I'm an ISFP, but in the end, it's very doubtful to me that I'm a Sensor.

Well, that would probably color our perception.

Now, can't say for sure if you're INFP or any other type. But your responses seem quite Fi. But I'm not sure whether you're Te or Ti. When you said, you don't like authority and don't like being in authority, which suggests a very laissez faire approach, I was wondering whether you're an NF. But you seem to be a strong feeler, express quite a bit of Fe on the forum. I could also see you as a ISFJ. You do have a nurturing vibe about you which is typical of ISFJs.

I think I prefer Ti over Te, but I might be confusing Ti with Ni or Fi.

And as far as the "nurturing" thing, I've only developed that since I've become a parent. I don't think it's a part of my natural personality.

Some factors that make it hard for me to type myself:

1. I'm a Christian, which pushes me out of my comfort zone to a large degree and motivates me to sacrifice my natural desires a lot.

2. I'm a husband and a father, which pushes me out of my comfort zone to a large degree and motivates me to sacrifice my natural desires a lot.

3. I took a ton of LSD in my youth, and I think it made me kind of schizo!

No, I don't like being in authority at all.

I have kids, so I've had to develop the ability as much as possible, but I really struggle with it.

Also, I've been offered positions of authority many times and turned them down because I really hate to lead. I'd rather influence behind the scenes.

I often dream of a world where no one ever has to tell anyone what to do.

That screams INFP over INFJ, because, at least Vicky Jo says, if they have to, INFJs are OK with leading others, and they do a good job.
That also says you suppress Te, because most every boss anyone ever has is pretty much the embodiment of Te.

Last edited:
I think I prefer Ti over Te, but I might be confusing Ti with Ni or Fi.

And as far as the "nurturing" thing, I've only developed that since I've become a parent. I don't think it's a part of my natural personality.

Te vs. Ti. Do you naturally tend to lay out or outline your reasoning for why you do things or for how you feel? Do you like to figure things out mentally, organize it then present your findings with fewer details?

Ni vs. Ne. Do the answers or ways to resolve a problem come to you easily without much effort? Do you find that most of the things you imagine are happening or will happen tend to be true? Do you find that what you think is happening is usually what's happening without much thought about how you came to that feeling? Do you generally find that you're right about things when reading people or situations without much effort?

Fi vs. Fe. Do you focus much of your inner thoughts on what you think about things, inner comparisons about personal feelings and how the outside world's values or beliefs or actions compares? Or do you find yourself thinking about how to get along or how to create a harmonious environment?

But I'm not an MBTI expert. I'm just pulling things out of what I know to see how functions may connect with how we think. I am not sure I'm right or on the right track. There are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more knowledgeable people than me on this topic. :)

Last edited:
That screams INFP over INFJ, because, at least Vicky Jo says, if they have to, INFJs are OK with leading others, and they do a good job.
That also says you suppress Te, because Te is pretty much the embodiment of most every boss you've ever had.

Yeah, but tht confuses me, because the whole reason I'm offered positions of authority is that I do rise to the challenge and do a good job.

It's really tiring and stressful for me though, and I'd much rather remain in the background.

Hey, you could be right.

But I think you're confusing my natural (and relentless) curiosity with looking outside myself "too much for answers/resolution."

Unless, of course, you're referring to my being a Christian. In that case, I have no problem whatsoever confessing my absolute dependence on the revelation of God in the Bible as my source of Truth, strength, inspiration, etc. and my absolute trust and submission to God's authority.

I'm totally anti-authoritarian by nature (lest you assume I'm some kind of SJ)but, by grace, I've been changed. My God commands me to submit to him and he's worthy, so I do so willingly and joyfully. I'm not as fond of submitting to earthly authority, but I'm commanded to do that as well, inasmuch as it doesn't interfere with my loyalty to God.

No, I was not referring to your religious beliefs at all. I was simply referring to the nature of this thread and that you have sought so much information (tests, forums, videos, etc) in order to reach a personal conclusion. To me that suggests a need for concrete and sensory information, rather than trust in the abstract. That's why I'm doubtful about your being an Ni.

One thing that makes me think you might be an INFP is that you seem to be both curious and suspicious at the same time. That seems to be an INFP thing, from what I've observed. They desire to know, but are also highly suspicious of having any ideas formed for them. I've also noticed that INFP's seem to have a hard time settling on their type, which might be another irony. Of course, these are all just personal interpretations and are probably way off the mark. :)

Out of interest, where do your Enneagram results fall? That might help clear things up a bit.

Te vs. Ti. Do you naturally tend to lay out or outline your reasoning for why you do things or for how you feel? Do you like to figure things out mentally, organize it then present your findings with fewer details?

Mostly this one: "figure things out mentally, organize it then present your findings with fewer details."

Ni vs. Ne. Do the answers or ways to resolve a problem come to you easily without much effort? Do you find that most of the things you imagine are happening or will happen tend to be true? Do you find that what you think is happening is usually what's happening without much thought about how you came to that feeling? Do you generally find that you're right about things when reading people or situations without much effort?

Not sure. But I think the bolded parts apply.

My perception of things seems to be accurate, and I'm particularly good at diagnosing problems. I don't need to consult others for these things.

But coming up with actual solutions to problems takes a lot more effort. And I generally consult others for that.

Fi vs. Fe. Do you focus much of your inner thoughts on what you think about things, inner comparisons about personal feelings and how the outside world's values or beliefs or actions compares? Or do you find yourself thinking about how to get along or how to create a harmonious environment?

Definitely this: "focus much of your inner thoughts on what you think about things, inner comparisons about personal feelings and how the outside world's values or beliefs or actions compares"

So, it seems like I use Ti, Ni, and Fi the most. Which doesn't really correspond to any particular type very well.

I think this was helpful though, because the one I was most sure of was Fi.

I'm probably INFP.

One thing that makes me think you might be an INFP is that you seem to be both curious and suspicious at the same time. That seems to be an INFP thing, from what I've observed. They desire to know, but are also highly suspicious of having any ideas formed for them. I've also noticed that INFP's seem to have a hard time settling on their type, which might be another irony. Of course, these are all just personal interpretations and are probably way off the mark. :)

Actually, I think you were right on the mark with that one. :D

I'm often the biggest obstacle to what I'm trying to acheive. ;)

Out of interest, where do your Enneagram results fall? That might help clear things up a bit.

I generally test as 4, 5, and 6. But I don't feel like any of them are quite right.

Most likely 4, I guess.

I generally test as 4, 5, and 6. But I don't feel like any of them are quite right.

Most likely 4, I guess.

ISFJ's seem to test most often as 2's, least often as 4's. I would probably rule out ISFJ.

Your need for sensory information could be linked to Ne. My personal thoughts are that you're probably an INFP, but definitely not INFJ. These two types are worlds apart, when you get down to details.

[MENTION=6017]wonkavision[/MENTION]

Maybe you'd benefit from looking at your early years, since adults tend to be pretty balanced and thus harder to read.

Before age 20 is generally when you're most focused on your Dominant and Auxiliary.

During your 20s is when the Inferior is unleashed, sometimes with catastrophic results. You might make a lot of unwise career and/or relationship decisions because of it. You also develop Tertiary here.

After age 30 is when you start integrating Tertiary and Inferior more holistically.

What were you like at age 10? :D

I'm definitely enjoying this thread and like the effort and the honesty of the answers. The Js like bossing people around, do they? Or do they politely direct? vicky Jo isn't that bossy. But she likes to be directive. Unfortunately, she just isn't all that clear in her designations. Like Wonkavision, I am lost between INFP and INFJ and 5 and 4. I have managed to get rid of all the Ts which used to haunt me. In my 20s very much a four. Now we get the directive: what were you like at ten? But doesn't it depend a lot on exact place and time and so on? Still, I am waiting to see how this works out for Wonkavision! I think we can eliminate the Ss for him.

I do think he needs to learn how to be the boss as he will make better money. It's ok to have a not terribly directive boss.

A boss who's done tons of LSD might be fun, too, as his directives might be totally surreal, which could be great fun. Wonka is also kinda surreal, esp. as Depp plays him.

I think you should think about when you were ten, but only within your own family like on a long car trip where you can't help but be completely yourself. Does everybody agree that that is a fair time to catch him most at being himself?

I don't think you are an INFP.
An INFP is not really that concerned with what their family or friends think of them--
They are in the way that they want to do good by these people--but not in the way of basing who they are on others assessment.
an INFP cares what others assessment of them is because they want it to align with the perception they already have.

Also, you are missing the forest for the trees with the wealth of information here--You are expecting a very specific answer to your question--when the question itself will not yield a specific two sentence answer.
INFPs tend to take a more holistic and open approach to things.

It seems like you already have the answer in mind, but are fishing for validation or consensus.
Not really an INFP trait.

I don't think you are an INFP.
An INFP is not really that concerned with what their family or friends think of them--
They are in the way that they want to do good by these people--but not in the way of basing who they are on others assessment.
an INFP cares what others assessment of them is because they want it to align with the perception they already have.

Also, you are missing the forest for the trees with the wealth of information here--You are expecting a very specific answer to your question--when the question itself will not yield a specific two sentence answer.
INFPs tend to take a more holistic and open approach to things.

It seems like you already have the answer in mind, but are fishing for validation or consensus.
Not really an INFP trait.

So, you are saying he expresses more Fe than Fi?

I think I came late to this discussion, but I'll toss in my piece:

First off, if you're confused about INFJ vs INFP it is because you're trying to read the stupid descriptions that go along with various types. In theory the two types share ZERO functions, and are radically different in their ways of thinking. The descriptions you're reading that make you feel like you could be either type are based on the fact that the two types tend to end up acting similarly, but for entirely different reasons.

If the functions don't clear things up, then you're probably mis-typing yourself.

Also:

I find that INFPs are generally more caring about people in general and INFJs are more caring about specific people.

I find this to be the most incorrect statement that could possibly be made about the two types. INFPs have the ability to select who they care about, INFJs suffer the curse of caring about everyone they've ever met, while simultaneously attempting to prioritize which person they'll take care of first.

I find this to be the most incorrect statement that could possibly be made about the two types. INFPs have the ability to select who they care about, INFJs suffer the curse of caring about everyone they've ever met, while simultaneously attempting to prioritize which person they'll take care of first.

Can you please elaborate why you feel this is an incorrect statement? I find the quoted statement to be contradictory and confusing to me. "Everyone they've ever met" is technically "specific people". Also, I never claimed that INFPs do not select who they care about. By stating "INFPs are generally more caring about people in general", I did not imply 'ergo they do not care about or care more for specific people'. From my observations, IxFJs tend to care less about specific people they have never met unless they feel connected to that person or person's plight in some way. INFPs, though can show equal indifference, often care about each individual in general, the same.

NOTE: When I say 'care', perhaps I should say 'value' instead. INFJs tend to place value on every individual differently. INFPs tend to place value on individuals equally. Does that make more sense?

Furthermore, it is perfectly reasonable that even looking up the cognitive functions does not always clarify INFP vs INFJ or sometimes other types. Though the functions work distinctly different, the language used to explain them can be understood ambiguously.

Last edited:
Can you please elaborate why you feel this is an incorrect statement? I find the quoted statement to be contradictory and confusing to me. "Everyone they've ever met" is technically "specific people". Also, I never claimed that INFPs do not select who they care about. By stating "INFPs are generally more caring about people in general", I did not imply 'ergo they do not care about or care more for specific people'. From my observations, IxFJs tend to care less about specific people they have never met unless they feel connected to that person or person's plight in some way. INFPs, though can show equal indifference, often care about each individual in general, the same.

NOTE: When I say 'care', perhaps I should say 'value' instead. INFJs tend to place value on every individual differently. INFPs tend to place value on individuals equally. Does that make more sense?

Furthermore, it is perfectly reasonable that even looking up the cognitive functions does not always clarify INFP vs INFJ or sometimes other types. Though the functions work distinctly different, the language used to explain them can be understood ambiguously.

I understand what you're saying, however I believe you're completely backward in the two types . . .

INFPs care deeply for a select group of people
INFJs care for for the good of everyone around them

The most striking thing about Fi is it's ability to order and prioritize people. If you've made it close to the top of an Fi user's list of people, there will be a specific reason for it, and if the Fi user doesn't have a connection with you, then you won't matter much to them.

Fe doesn't do that, it has an odd way of letting everyone else order themselves by pushing their way to the front.

Imagine an INFP as living in a "sky scraper of feeling". They can invite people to whatever floor they want them to be on, and move them around freely. They can listen to one person at a time and focus on them while sending others to a different floor. They also have the ability to escape to the top floor so that they can prioritize themselves for a while.

An INFJ lives in a "warehouse of feeling". . . Usually hiding in a corner trying not to get overwhelmed by everyone around them who seem to be shouting their feelings out loud. There are no places to escape to, they can only try to cover their ears.

B