I can't tell if I'm INFP or INFJ!!!

I have already:

• Taken a zillion tests
  • read all the descriptions
  • looked into cognitive functions
  • checked out countless books and websites
  • watched videos
  • gotten feedback from others
...and I still can't decide which one it is.

In TWO SENTENCES or LESS....What is the ULTIMATE DIFFERENCE between INFP and INFJ?????

GO!

Last edited:
Challenge accepted.

INFJs are like this, INFPs are like this.
INFPs will see the tragic, INFJs will see the beautiful.

In reality, it is impossible to accurately encapsulate two distinct personalities within two sentences, even using artistic license. Broad strokes cover the cracks. You may find this webpage useful for exploring typology in general; it is a fairly comprehensive knowledge bank. It will likely take time and significant amounts of self-exploration to discern which you are, but do not let type define you in the meantime. It would be counterproductive, and futile, to measure one's self against preconceived notions (of which there are many) in an effort to understand one's mechanics.

Help!!!

I have already:
  • watched videos

In TWO SENTENCES or LESS....What is the ULTIMATE DIFFERENCE between INFP and INFJ?????

GO!
Oh, you are supposed to take the test. Then you find out.

I disagree that infps see the tragic and infjs see the beautiful. That's just too simplistic and if you really read through these infj threads and posts, you will see it doesn't really check out. But it is really difficult to get it in two sentences...

Infps try on many hats. We become ideas we believe in, or try to embody them--but ever settling for one way.
I could elaborate..

Last edited:
INFPs tend to be more comfortable with the open-ended. INFJs are more likely to be (pardon me, fellow members) control freaks.

INFPs tend to very highly value personal feelings and needs based on one's own values and perspectives. It would be highly unusual for them to concede these in order to get along with others, or to produce group harmony. By comparison, INFJs want harmony in the environment. They are more willing (than INFPs, it seems) to forego individuality and abide by social norms in order to produce it. INFJs are the ones who say, "let's all get along, be mindful, be respectful of each other. We all need to do this in order for group harmony to thrive" vs INFPs who are more likely to emphasize that everyone is entitled to their individuality and maintaining respect for this is one of the highest priorities. I get the sense they'd rather everyone go their own way, or they themselves go their own way, if it means being able to nourish their individuality or at the very least respect it.

INFPs, is that at all close?

@oceanbreeze yes to open ended!
One huge difference is that infps like to keep things tentative.

I think it has to do with Ne always looking to obtain and process and scaffold info.

I also agree that infps tend to go their own way.

Last edited:
Reactions: grt$5vb and the
INFPs tend to be more comfortable with the open-ended. INFJs are more likely to be (pardon me, fellow members) control freaks.

INFPs tend to very highly value personal feelings and needs based on one's own values and perspectives. It would be highly unusual for them to concede these in order to get along with others, or to produce group harmony. By comparison, INFJs want harmony in the environment. They are more willing (than INFPs, it seems) to forego individuality and abide by social norms in order to produce it. INFJs are the ones who say, "let's all get along, be mindful, be respectful of each other. We all need to do this in order for group harmony to thrive" vs INFPs who are more likely to emphasize that everyone is entitled to their individuality and maintaining respect for this is one of the highest priorities. I get the sense they'd rather everyone go their own way, or they themselves go their own way, if it means being able to nourish their individuality or at the very least respect it.

INFPs, is that at all close?

This

I made my own comparison in my blog, using Mark Ruffalo and Ed Norton as different portrayals of Bruce Banner (the Hulk). :D I see Norton and his acting style as an INFJ and Ruffalo and his acting style as an INFP. But meh, that's me. Linky.

I disagree that infps see the tragic and infjs see the beautiful. That's just too simplistic and if you really read through these infj threads and posts, you will see it doesn't really check out. But it is really difficult to get it in two sentences...

Infps try on many hats. We become ideas we believe in, or try to embody them.

I could elaborate..

Please allow me to clarify what I meant.

The young INFPs I have known bore an air of tragedy because their Fi always compared the moral purity of our society (America) with their own and found it wanting. Pair their resulting disappointment with ineffective mobilizing because their Ne ran wild without Si's (or Te's) consistency and reality-checking to back it up. All of them admitted in various ways that they felt backed into a hole, that our world would never be up to their expectations.

In comparison, INFJs' hallmark is to improve the human condition via social dynamics (Ni-Fe). To bring about a more beautiful world for everyone, sometimes without their consent [think Hitler]. The young INFJs I have known (self included, for a time) can become so enthralled with the possibility of their better world that they too lose touch with reality or find it too distasteful to touch and thus retreat from it, literally chasing after the beauty in their heads.

(I admit that articulating my concept of What It Means To Be INFP is difficult and some aspects of their functions elude me. Accordingly, this comparison may come off as depicting INFJs in a better light than INFPs, but this is not intended. We all have our demons and none of them are pretty. I figured links would be a better option than a point-by-point analysis that could derail the thread.)

Again, these observations are based on young, barely developed types. INFPs and INFJs are much more complex than this, shown with three nifty links. I admitted it is impossible to contrast the types within two lines and purposefully inserted a disclaimer -- "broad strokes cover the cracks". Many of my posts on this forum attempt to make it clear that every type has many variations, and that relying on superficial descriptions for understanding them is a disservice to the seeker's understanding and the complexity of typology itself.

Help!!!

I have already:
  • watched videos

GO!

I think everyone who's posted has missed the point.

The ultimate difference is in the functions, because none of them are the same.

Learn about the functions.

EDIT: shit, I didn't read the whole post.

Still, you gotta go with the functions, bro. If you understand them well enough, you'll see the distinction.

Otherwise, Vicky Jo says THE BEST WAY to differentiate the two is that: INFPs prefer the Informative style of communication, and INFJs the Directive.

http://www.infj.com/INFJ_CommunicationStyles.htm

Last edited:
[MENTION=6017]wonkavision[/MENTION]

Have you considered that you might not be either one?

:p

INFP: We're out of bread and milk.

INFJ: I'm giving you the grocery list to pick up and put away before I get home.

Reactions: ManicPixi
Well, thanks for all the responses so far. :D

Not really what I'm looking for, but I really appreciate the effort. :nod:

Maybe there is no single, decisive factor. :/

Last edited:
Please allow me to clarify what I meant.

The young INFPs I have known bore an air of tragedy because their Fi always compared the moral purity of our society (America) with their own and found it wanting. Pair their resulting disappointment with ineffective mobilizing because their Ne ran wild without Si's (or Te's) consistency and reality-checking to back it up. All of them admitted in various ways that they felt backed into a hole, that our world would never be up to their expectations.

In comparison, INFJs' hallmark is to improve the human condition via social dynamics (Ni-Fe). To bring about a more beautiful world for everyone, sometimes without their consent [think Hitler]. The young INFJs I have known (self included, for a time) can become so enthralled with the possibility of their better world that they too lose touch with reality or find it too distasteful to touch and thus retreat from it, literally chasing after the beauty in their heads.

(I admit that articulating my concept of What It Means To Be INFP is difficult and some aspects of their functions elude me. Accordingly, this comparison may come off as depicting INFJs in a better light than INFPs, but this is not intended. We all have our demons and none of them are pretty. I figured links would be a better option than a point-by-point analysis that could derail the thread.)

Again, these observations are based on young, barely developed types. INFPs and INFJs are much more complex than this, shown with three nifty links. I admitted it is impossible to contrast the types within two lines and purposefully inserted a disclaimer -- "broad strokes cover the cracks". Many of my posts on this forum attempt to make it clear that every type has many variations, and that relying on superficial descriptions for understanding them is a disservice to the seeker's understanding and the complexity of typology itself.
Thanks for explaining. You are right about the compulsive comparing between the infp's ideals and the world's rules and ways...
Well I suppose that as a younger infp, the world was a dismal disappointing place which made me feel helpless because the injustice and violence and destructiveness I perceived was just too massive..

But I think it's forced me to see beauty and try to find and cherish or to create beauty and goodness because, well, I'm here and have to adapt somehow.

I don't know if infjs or even other infps feel this way--or other people in general, but when I really think about things and take them in-- it's like experiencing culture shock despite being born and raised in all this. I think it would make me insane if I focused mainly on the tragedies in life.

Last edited:
Reactions: hush