Ultimate Difference Between INFP and INFJ | Page 8 | INFJ Forum

Ultimate Difference Between INFP and INFJ

Haha! That wasn't a grammar correction. That hardly occurred to me.

That just had no meaning for me LOL because I have no intrinsic motivation.

... I need to be whipped.

*Hands whips to [MENTION=1360]TheDaringHatTrick[/MENTION] and gets down on all fours*

Reactions: rawr
Haha! That wasn't a grammar correction. That hardly occurred to me.

That just had no meaning for me LOL because I have no intrinsic motivation.

Not with that attitude, you don't! :p

But seriously, you do. We all do. You wouldn't really be thinking or doing anything if you didn't. You're either fearful or desirous of something. Push-pull principle.

What I meant was that in order to motivate an INFP (moreso than an ENFP) the goal needs to above all align with their values. They just aren't that plugged into the real world to cave to some of the traditional ways of social obligation, or care about task-completion for the sake of it, not to mention that they are masters at making excuses for themselves. In order to motivate a Fi-dominant (and a Ti-dominant for that matter) the goal needs to adhere to something they strong identify with and the quickest way to figure out what that is necessitates a close inspection of what they pay attention to and/or guard the most, and what benefits they gain from doing so.

Unfortunately, introverted types are the most difficult to motivate because many of them are very aware of and averse to people attempting to 'manipulate' them into doing things they don't want to do and some of them can even act out of oppositional defiance. Like I said before, they can talk themselves out of anything, which is why the desire to do something needs to come from them above all.

One of the things that I strongly agreed with this thread was the idea that INFPs tend to prefer to keep things open-ended. This also harks back to the difficulty in motivating them. Fi-types constantly like to think of themselves as a work-in-progress. They're constantly adjusting the dial on their values and their self-identity, but most of the work done is done in the mind. They're more cerebral than the INFJ.

Last edited:
... I need to be whipped.

*Hands whips to @TheDaringHatTrick and gets down on all fours*
tumblr_m63qzewvrO1r3zat8.png

Exactly. Things like foruming or school don't require any thought or action.

I just move around like an empty husk of a human being.

Rawr!

2011032160930301.jpg

yes?
i heard my name ;)

derailment.jpg

Exactly. Things like foruming or school don't require any thought or action.

I just move around like an empty husk of a human being.

Well, I should hope that school requires some thought and action.

Have you considered that 'moving around like an empty husk of a human being' might be a type of avoidance behaviour? You wouldn't be doing this if you weren't getting some kind of benefit from it, like a reprieve from some uncomfortable truth or emotion. Are you anxious about something? Do you enjoy what you're studying in school? It doesn't sound like you find it very inspiring. :/

Well, I should hope that school requires some thought and action.

Have you considered that 'moving around like an empty husk of a human being' might be a type of avoidance behaviour? You wouldn't be doing this if you weren't getting some kind of benefit from it, like a reprieve from some uncomfortable truth or emotion. Are you anxious about something? Do you enjoy what you're studying in school? It doesn't sound like you find it very inspiring. :/

Aww don't worry about me TD, I was just being facetious. :D :hug: Thank you though.

Reactions: sassafras
Great walls of text! Read the whole thing in one sitting. Can someone be on the cusp?

@TheDaringHatTrick ... I just typed up 10 different responses.. Erased them. Thought for some more time. Couldn't find the one to post and decided to type this. . It's really hard to say anything besides that you know what you are talking about. . And then I realized that I spelled your name at first as TheDaringHardDrink. Thus I had to edit..

@TheDaringHatTrick ... I just typed up 10 different responses.. Erased them. Thought for some more time. Couldn't find the one to post and decided to type this. It's really hard to say anything besides that you know what you are talking about. And then I realized that I spelled your name at first as TheDaringHardDrink. Thus I had to edit..

What you described does suggest the effects of a daring hard drink indeed! ;)

Thank you, though. I'm glad my observations ring true with some.

Great walls of text! Read the whole thing in one sitting. Can someone be on the cusp?

According to function theory, no, there is no 'cusp' or 'tipping point.' The INFJ and INFP's function make-up is drastically different. You're either one or the other.

Reactions: grt$5vb
If they are both so drastically different and you are either one or the other, why is there so much confusion between the two?

If they are both so drastically different and you are either one or the other, why is there so much confusion between the two?

Because the two tend to share share similar value systems and because of the versatile nature of Fi. Fi types consciously impose their thoughts and values on themselves, which obviously dictates outer behavior. The dominant Fi has the potential to step into the skin of any MBTI type to mimic it, the catch-22 being that it cannot decide which. Thus, you can see why the dominant Fi's quest for identity can sometimes overlap with the Fe's desire for belonging.

Furthermore, Fi is essentially a conscious expression of Ni. What Fi-types grapple with consciously is intuitive to a Fe-type and the reverse is true. What is a conscious process to a Fe is intuitive for a Fi. Their processes are completely inside-out and those are the very drastic differences in the way that they function.

Keep in mind that the key to understanding MBTI is that type is not determined by outward expressions and behavior but rather the process by which they arrive at their unique traits. Essentially, it's all about how all the insides function.

Reactions: grt$5vb
Get 'em, TD. :D

Nice to see you 'round these parts again.

Because the two tend to share share similar value systems and because of the versatile nature of Fi. Fi types consciously impose their thoughts and values on themselves, which obviously dictates outer behavior. The dominant Fi has the potential to step into the skin of any MBTI type to mimic it, the catch-22 being that it cannot decide which. Thus, you can see why the dominant Fi's quest for identity can sometimes overlap with the Fe's desire for belonging.

Furthermore, Fi is essentially a conscious expression of Ni. What Fi-types grapple with consciously is intuitive to a Fe-type and the reverse is true. What is a conscious process to a Fe is intuitive for a Fi. Their processes are completely inside-out and those are the very drastic differences in the way that they function.

Keep in mind that the key to understanding MBTI is that type is not determined by outward expressions and behavior but rather the process by which they arrive at their unique traits. Essentially, it's all about how all the insides function.

; ) That is almost two sentences.

Or that perhaps the theory is flawed and you are wrong?

Why do they share value systems if they are so different?

I read somewhere that an INFP was a flawed INFJ, or an unripe INFJ. I felt rage. ALL types have flaws and one type is not better than the other one, because you live your life as your type, so that's the only thing you got. YOUR ego, who you think is the real you. I mean, you could switch up types as an INFJ, but it's just a disguise to trick others. I never like making comparisons, because it deeply worries me that someone could take it as bragging or judging.