Too Distracted By The Internal World? | INFJ Forum

Too Distracted By The Internal World?

Discussion in 'The INFJ Typology' started by sumone, Nov 23, 2008.

Share This Page

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 2 users.
More threads by sumone
  1. sumone

sumone down the rabbit hole

Threads:
    MBTI:
    infj

I read this about INFJ's and it really struck home. This is my Achille's heel I think. I get so caught up with the internal that my external piles up and I get overwhelmed which leads to stress which leads to withdrawal.
    It can be a very bad cycle.
    I have to remind myself to take care of my external world.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Wyote

Wyote (#/-\[]$ ([]`/[]'|'[-
    Staff Member Administrator

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    954 so/sx
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Satya

Satya C'est la vie
    Retired Staff

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INXP
    I think I spend an extraordinary amount of time being upset at other people for not developing an inner world. That is incredibly draining in itself.

Focusing on my inner world is often empowering. I just don't get much done out in the real world.

4. ZenCat

ZenCat Waving Sage

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    Recently 2
    I've always found it a significant struggle to balance my inner and outer worlds. To be honest, I think I feel "healthier" when my outer world has a slight advantage. But that's a rare state for me.

5. IndigoSensor

IndigoSensor Product Obtained
    Retired Staff

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    1w2 sx/so/sp
    Ditttttttttttttto! I tend to look down on people who are like that, and I have to tell myself to not do that. Damn me and my need to put people in boxes!

My innerworld is an organized mess. I like to think of it as a electron orbital cloud (most likely a d or f orbital), it is dissarayed, confusing, and odd, but there is much order to it.

My external world is much like a sawtooth wave, it gets messier and messier and messier, until within a matter of minutes, it's spotless. then it happens again... and again... and again... (note, the majority of the time it is messy, so each sawtooth is curved)

6. Morpheus

Morpheus Community Member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Hmm... I think I have my inner and outer worlds somewhat balanced. Though I do seem to retreat to the inner world quite easily, as the outer world often feels overwhelming and disorganized. But I wouldn't really say it's nescessarily a negative thing.

Also, this. :D

And after all, its a useless thing to be upset about, since it is so hard to verbalize in a manner that makes sense, and I don't really think most people even care.

#6 Morpheus, Nov 27, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2008
    Satya likes this.
  7. Stu

Stu Constipated
    Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    Enneagram:
    I have been concentrating on my inner world, but trying to approach it intuitively. Using a non thinking approach and attempting to engage buried images using imagination. My outer world seems to be benefiting.

WellNoWonder likes this.
  8. TaylorS

TaylorS Community Member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    I usually have my head stuck in the clouds.

9. Morgain

Morgain defective wisdom
    Donor

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ again
    Enneagram:
    4w5
    lol I'm the oposite. I find myself more trying to disorganize my inner world, to let the water flow again so to speak because interactions with other people leads to to many boxes and walls in my inner world :D

my outer world is a big mess but from time to time, especially at work, I get a clean up mania and then everything needs to be organized perfectly.

I don't know, it seems like I need to spend an awfull lot of time on my inner world to remain sane but if you count the hours, I spend more hours a day in the outside world than in the inside world.

10. bamf

bamf Is Watching You
    Retired Staff

Threads:
    MBTI:
    Meh
    Enneagram:
    Meh
    It's obvious when my inner-world is a mess because my outer world will be spotless.

Interestingly enough I spend a lot of time avoiding my inner-world. I don't always like what I find there so I try and escape to the outside. I could never live in a huge bustling city. I feel that people in cities with no space try and escape to their inner world where a majority of my time is trying to escape from within.

11. randomsomeone

randomsomeone Well-known member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    My inner world and outer worlds are pretty much in sync...I somehow manage to use each to propel the other. Not sure how this happened, but I cannot remember it ever being otherwise. My life has been fairly active and I have had some spectacular ways to spend time. Maybe that is why my inner life feeds on my external activity so much, while my external choices always emanated from what is going on inside.

12. Blind Bandit

Blind Bandit Blind Man Being Lead to Nowhere
    Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Yup this is probably my core issue.
    I again agree. It feels like it should be impossible not to.

13. CoffeeShopDiva

CoffeeShopDiva Community Member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    I have the opposite problem. When I'm down or stressed everything is a mess.

14. Trifoilum

Trifoilum find wisdom, build hope.

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    6w5
    Agreed totally. Whenever I'm stressed, I tend to obsess on details, and whenever I'm relaxed.... what does a single tissue, shreds of papers, and dropped biscuit bag matter? I've got more important things to think.

I personally think it's an issue of adeptness and mastery, rather than an Achilles' Heel. Trying to balance and/or master and/or getting in sync with both is hard, admittedly, tho. D: