The End of Christian America | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

The End of Christian America

The discussion was intriging up until here and your argument was well thought-out, comprehensive, supported well and actually informed me with data I hadn't known about before.

Thank you.

But then you said this, which basically puts all religions in one unsupported biased category.
How do you justify a blatant generalized statement that religion closes people's minds?

Because for some people it does.

How does this further the discussion about the state of Christianity in America, the Founding Fathers and the Constitution?

What discussion? I was posting my side and JM was ignoring it. Since when is a discussion one sided?

To jump to this conclusion from the actions of only one person within in one conversation is not justified nor accurate.
This is the one and only remark I found issue with within the context of the discussion because it had no bearing on the conversation.

Religion does close some people's minds. I didn't realize people would read it as, "Religion closes the minds of all the people who believe it."

I didn't enter the discussion on the Constitution because my schooling in the States ended when I was 14 and moved to Canada, and I don't have the knowledge you have on this subject and as I said, I found your thoughts and links informative.
Though you may take umbrage at my interjection to the conversation, I could not just let a comment like this go by unchallenged.

I don't mind the generalization being challenged. It was the comments about respecting people's views that seemed out of place.

I don't mind the generalization being challenged. It was the comments about respecting people's views that seemed out of place.
In retrospect, I will agree that I did take it a bit too far. Historically, I tend to do that with these kinds of statements, so for seeming a bit 'preachy' (which I was), I apologise.

In retrospect, I will agree that I did take it a bit too far. Historically, I tend to do that with these kinds of statements, so for seeming a bit 'preachy' (which I was), I apologise.

It's alright. I just wish I had a heart as soft as my head is hard and then perhaps I wouldn't come across as harsh as I do.

I have had the time to give an ear to the links offered in this discussion. In so doing, I understand the remarks concerning the Jefferson Bible. I find it interesting to have learned something regarding the issues discussed in this thread. I will not argue. I will say I understand what has been presented and was blind to it before. The quotes I placed on this website in an earlier post in this thread are still valuable quotes, as are the new facts I have found to be truths I knew nothing about. I have climbed atop the wall and looked at both sides. I acknowledge both sides. I can do that with time and preparation. I cannot do that in a whim and a flash of lightning.
I can also accept the content, for the most part, of the Newsweek article. I find the title misleading. I find the content to be eye opening. I could have better accepted a different title as the content does not state
truths to support the title.
It is in the spirit of understanding I have posted this post.

Last edited: