Stripping and using meth | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Stripping and using meth

You really don't have to be a chemist. If you want to look up each one individually, just use Google. There's OSHA information on each individual chemical and effects of exposure, but that's not as important as knowing the effects of the whole product. I work for an environmental contractor who has to stay on top of this stuff to protect their workers.

OSHA can bite me. Oversafe bastards. They are seriously nannys when it comes to minor exposures.

In all seriousness though. You really can just wiki pretty much any chemical to get a general idea about it. Just keep in mind when they say "there are links to exposure and x disease/condidtion", the corralation is pretty weak. Just don't drink or swim in the stuff.

That is interesting about working for the environmental contractor. Actually that's one reason I even brought up this thread, is because I hoped people with more knowledge/information/experience would pop in with their two cents. I do a lot of painting, not just furniture, and it would be great to fully understand the impact of the chemicals involved, but unfortunately, another degree is out of the question at the moment, sigh...

And it is awfully nice of Indy to volunteer his organic chemistry knowledge, too. There is a lot of information out there, but it is difficult to know what information to trust, and it can be very confusing.

Being a chemist is probably very interesting. I took an Integrated Physics and Chemistry class in High School, in fact. Really interesting stuff. Incidentally, after learning about chemical nomenclature, I asked my teacher if he would drink dihydrogen monoxide (H2O). He said no at first, and then got a puzzled look on his face, laughed, and said of course.

Anyway, I would say that an organization called OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Adminstration), is probably the most reliable source. All our workers have to spend a few weeks each year undergoing training to OSHA standards, and we have to post Material Hazard Data Sheets like the PDF I linked you to earlier for all our chemicals in order to pass inspection. They tend to overestimate the effect of the chemicals, if anything. So if they tell you how to be safe around it, you're probably well in the clear.

Most of our workers work with chemicals all day, and have suffered no ill effects, due mostly to following that three-point list of procedures I showed you.

That procedure list works for the majority of chemicals that aren't acidic enough to eat through plastic, or radioactive. And those sorts of chemicals are so highly regulated you probably wouldn't be able to get your hands on them easily anyway.

These guys are not the smartest people in the world... a lot of them didn't even graduate High School. Some of them are recent immigrants that struggle with English, and we're still able to teach them a reasonable degree of chemical safety. That's why I think spending a little time going over a few safety procedures (ventilation of work area), and obtaining safety equipment (goggles, respirator mask, and gloves), is all you really need. After all, you're just using chemicals. Not trying to develop new ones.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wyote
OSHA can bite me. Oversafe bastards. They are seriously nannys when it comes to minor exposures.

In all seriousness though. You really can just wiki pretty much any chemical to get a general idea about it. Just keep in mind when they say "there are links to exposure and x disease/condidtion", the corralation is pretty weak. Just don't drink or swim in the stuff.

Wow, Indy, you are seriously one tough dude. I never saw this side of you before! :D I am so hyped up now I think I will go home and clean my bathroom with clorox and Windex at the same time.
(kidding)

So, marketers slap an "environmentally friendly" label on the bottle, charge you extra for it, make you think you are endangering your children and some innocent workers in a third world country for buying their competitors' products and it is friggin CONFUSING to get anything approaching good, understandable information.

*puts on his best Stan Marsh voice*

You know guys... I've learned something today. Given enough time, we could easily look into the organic chemistry and learn enough so that we wouldn't have to worry about being mislead. Or if we just wanted less control over our surroundings, we wouldn't have to restore furnature in the first place, so we wouldn't have to worry about marketers misleading us by using things that we don't know. It's just that when we spend so much time exerting our will that we don't have time to learn how to do it, we open ourselves up to being manipulative, and causing accidental damage to the world around us. So maybe things would be better if we just took our time, and constrained our actions until we learned how to exersize them responsibly, we wouldn't have to worry about a lot of the biological, chemical, and environmental dangers we find ourselves surrounded by today.

edit: as sarcastic as that sounded, this realization did just hit me as I was reading this thread. I wanted to say it, because I think it's a concern people should take seriously, but couldn't think of any way to get it across without sounding like a dick, so I tried to wrap it in humor... but on a second read, it was poorly done. So sorries in advance, Janet... I didn't mean to pick on you as much as it probably sounded like.

Last edited:
OSHA can be very overbearing and problematic in the academic field.

With that out of the way... DCM(Methylene Chloride) is fine so long as you vent it and minimize direct skin exposure you should be fine. If still freaked out I would try any stripper with toluene or xylene in it. I is more residual than DCM but contact with it is less dangerous as our bodies have a pathway to expel it.

Last edited:
My mom use to strip paint off our furniture with a heat gun and a paint scraper tool. The heat gun was like a blow dryer but more heavy duty. Won't work the same way with a stain though, naturally. You just risk gouging the wood, so this is best for cheap pieces.