Split: Questions regarding value of human life. | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Split: Questions regarding value of human life.

Yes, true. Not that the details aren't important but sometimes, we really miss the big picture. "Can't see the forest for the trees."
It's not so much that stuff. Your parent forgets your birthday. Someone accidentally breaks something. A best friend hides something from you. Your wife/husband isn't careful enough with the finances, or isn't ambitious enough. All of a sudden your relationships are 'in trouble'. You argue. Now you are all mad at each other. If this goes on for a while, you suddenly have 'serious problems' with that person. They lose value to you. If they die during that period of time you are in for a shock, because you then get to learn the hard way how stupid all the stuff you thought was important really is. I know that is cliche'. But once you live it, it is no longer cliche'. It is truth.

ok lets try. But you will never now the answer until you have to make the discission:

1. How much money could convince you to kill a man?

not all the money in the world

2. Would you trade the lives of 100 rapists and serial murderers for saving the lives of 1'000'000'000 people? If not 100, how many? Would you trade them for curing cancer? (which may save potentially infinite amount of lives in the future)
no, I'm not God

3. Suppose there's a switch. If you don't touch it, 5 random people die, if you press it, 1 random man dies. Would you press the switch?
no, I'm not God

4. Suppose now, you stand behind a fat man. If you push him in front of some train, he'll die, but the train stops. If you do nothing, the train passes by and will kill 5 people. Would you push the fat man in front of the train to save the other 5 men?
no, I'm not God

5. Imagine the closest member of your family, or just the one you love the most on the world. Would you kill 1'000'000'000 people to save them, or would you let them die?
no, I'm not God

What happens in the world, who dies and who doesn't is not in my hands. I'm not going to play for God, I have not the right to decide who deserves to live and who deserves to die. On what ground would I decide that any way?

Everyone seems to answer the questions the same

but than again, what will you do when you are standing there? I have seen shocking experiments on tv. People were asked to press on a button to hurt someone in an other room because that person did something wrong. And they did it. They could here the person screaming and the pressed the button over and over again even when there came no reaction from the other room any more. This was to prove how prone we are to power and orders. How could Hitler let people do the terrible things they did during the war?

I think it all comes down to the fear of losing something dear: your life, your loved ones... I'm watching "V for Vendetta" at this moment and it is exactly about this. It seems that you can only start to live your life to the fullest at the moment that you give it up. This girl was tortured to reveal the hiding place of V and she refused, even when she was sentenced to death. And in that moment that she accepted her death, she found the power and freedom she had never experienced before. It is like those people who hear they have only 1 year to live, they seems to find the freedom and power to live there life to the fullest

I wonder why we can't ...

I've got an other question:

Would you kill Hitler when you stood with him face to face?

I would ...

Last edited:
It's not so much that stuff. Your parent forgets your birthday. Someone accidentally breaks something. A best friend hides something from you. Your wife/husband isn't careful enough with the finances, or isn't ambitious enough. All of a sudden your relationships are 'in trouble'. You argue. Now you are all mad at each other. If this goes on for a while, you suddenly have 'serious problems' with that person. They lose value to you. If they die during that period of time you are in for a shock, because you then get to learn the hard way how stupid all the stuff you thought was important really is. I know that is cliche'. But once you live it, it is no longer cliche'. It is truth.

I think we were pretty much saying the same thing, just using different wording.

Last edited: