Split: Primary Emotions, Ethics of Online Advice | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Split: Primary Emotions, Ethics of Online Advice

I believe that anger is a primary emotion. In many cases it comes as the result of the brain's fight-or-flight response (along with fear), it is the way for which a person can quickly generate large amounts of force (anger -> aggression -> force). Fear leads to anger which leads to hatred which leads to suffering.

Well now that I think about it, maybe it is a secondary emotion, but it still has a neurochemical action which is notably different than the other primary emotions.

Last edited:
I believe that anger is a primary emotion. In many cases it comes as the result of the brain's fight-or-flight response (along with fear), it is the way for which a person can quickly generate force (anger -> aggression -> force). Fear leads to anger which leads to hatred which leads to suffering.

Well now that I think about it, maybe it is a secondary emotion, but it still has a neurochemical action which is notably different than the other primary emotions.

Are you sure that it isn't fear that initiates the fight or flight response, and that anger is not a reactive response to that underlying emotion?

Neurochemically speaking, I think anger tends to be a mixture of a certain set of primary emotions.

I agree with your first point, but I do not think that anger is a mixture of other primary emotions, necessarily -- but moreso that it is borne out of fear (fear of helplessness for example), which IS a primary emotion.

The others
Fear (active: transmutes to anger), Sadness (passive: transmutes to shame), Happiness (passive: transmutes to confidence), Love (active: transmutes to trust)

I have checked none of these against scientific evidence, its just a system that makes sense to me. And its in line with I-ching which is logical, organic, and heirarchial in nature (hence: bonus points!).

It isn't scientific, but we're INFJs, so it doesn't really matter. Whatever works to benefit people is what I say.