Should the Pope face prosectution?

Satya

C'est la vie
Retired Staff
May 11, 2008
MBTI
INXP
http://rawstory.com/rs/2010/0410/judge-calls-prosecution-pope-benedict/

Geoffrey Robertson, a renowned human rights lawyer and United Nations jurist, wants to see Pope Benedict put on trial for allegedly protecting predator priests.

In a Guardian UK piece making its rounds this week in Catholic circles, Robertson demanded the pope be "put in the dock" so that the church might "feel the full weight of international law" over its thousands of pedophilia scandals.

The pope's conduct, he said, "amounted to the criminal offence of aiding and abetting sex with minors," making Benedict a justifiable target for either the International Criminal Court or a British court acting under the legal principal of universal jurisdiction.

As head of state he can't be prosecuted. The RCC would crumble if everyone who protected the predators were prosecuted.

The solution to this issue is not prosecution (please fix title) anyway. But the church environment indeed seems to stimulate such acts, so the church must go asap. I don't mean religion in general, but the church institution. Religion would take more time and is up to personal decision.

I think the Church needs an upgrade. Get rid of the celibacy and the 12th century attitudes about birth control for starters, amongst a handful other other, minor details...

As for the scandals, launching a full throttle investigation into the perpetrators is a MUST; make them face criminal justice, showing zero tolerance.

Last edited:
I think the Church needs an upgrade. Get rid of the celibacy and the 12th century attitudes about birth control for starters, amongst a handful other other, minor details...

As for the scandals, launching a full throttle investigation into the perpetrators is a MUST; make them face criminal justice, showing zero tolerance.

feth yeah!

should bring back the inquisition too :m200: except their job would be internal. that would be cool

yes i think so,

As head of state he can't be prosecuted. The RCC would crumble if everyone who protected the predators were prosecuted.

bolded a part in this article, that should answer that

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/faith/article7094310.ece

RICHARD DAWKINS, the atheist campaigner, is planning a legal ambush to have the Pope arrested during his state visit to Britain “for crimes against humanity”.
Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens, the atheist author, have asked human rights lawyers to produce a case for charging Pope Benedict XVI over his alleged cover-up of sexual abuse in the Catholic church.

The pair believe they can exploit the same legal principle used to arrest Augusto Pinochet, the late Chilean dictator, when he visited Britain in 1998.
The Pope was embroiled in new controversy this weekend over a letter he signed arguing that the “good of the universal church” should be considered against the defrocking of an American priest who committed sex offences against two boys. It was dated 1985, when he was in charge of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, which deals with sex abuse cases.
Benedict will be in Britain between September 16 and 19, visiting London, Glasgow and Coventry, where he will beatify Cardinal John Henry Newman, the 19th-century theologian.

Dawkins and Hitchens believe the Pope would be unable to claim diplomatic immunity from arrest because, although his tour is categorised as a state visit, he is not the head of a state recognised by the United Nations.

They have commissioned the barrister Geoffrey Robertson and Mark Stephens, a solicitor, to present a justification for legal action.
The lawyers believe they can ask the Crown Prosecution Service to initiate criminal proceedings against the Pope, launch their own civil action against him or refer his case to the International Criminal Court.
Dawkins, author of The God Delusion, said: “This is a man whose first instinct when his priests are caught with their pants down is to cover up the scandal and damn the young victims to silence.”

Hitchens, author of God Is Not Great, said: “This man is not above or outside the law. The institutionalised concealment of child rape is a crime under any law and demands not private ceremonies of repentance or church-funded payoffs, but justice and punishment."

Last year pro-Palestinian activists persuaded a British judge to issue an arrest warrant for Tzipi Livni, the Israeli politician, for offences allegedly committed during the 2008-09 conflict in Gaza. The warrant was withdrawn after Livni cancelled her planned trip to the UK.
“There is every possibility of legal action against the Pope occurring,” said Stephens. “Geoffrey and I have both come to the view that the Vatican is not actually a state in international law. It is not recognised by the UN, it does not have borders that are policed and its relations are not of a full diplomatic nature.”

if this actually happens the respect for my countries legal system would definitely go up somewhat.

Celibacy will likely stay in place and I doubt the Pope will be prosecuted (or whatever). I fact, the only changes I can coming of all this (short term) is a different rangement between the Church and civil authorities and probably (I hope) a lessening of the preoccupation with clerical dominance. Officially the Church has been articulating this (and pushing for this) for decades but from what I can tell the people themselves (and local leaders in some cases) need to seriously develop some new skills.

"Anti-Catholicism,” said writer Peter Viereck, “is the anti-Semitism of the intellectual.” It is “the deepest-held bias in the history of the American people,” said Arthur Schlesinger Sr.
Really? Americans are herding Catholics on to trains to death camps to work or gas them to death?

They really want to compare the sentiment that lead to the mass murder of millions to news papers casting the public eye on sexual abuse scandals?

Reactions: Ecton

I'm going to re frame from posting anymore than this. Because honestly I would be glad to to RCC go away along with the rest of religion. And see humanity stand on its own to feet and actually be accountable for its actions. So I'll just sit this one out....

launching a full throttle investigation into the perpetrators is a MUST; make them face criminal justice, showing zero tolerance.
How does that improve the situation? Do you know that many criminals have learned their inclination, exactly because of such judgmental attitude imposed on them?

The church will die, given time. I mean...the nice thing about the Catholic church having it's own country is that it allows them to do some really fantastically illegal things and get straight away with it.

Can you think what would happen if someone like...oh, here's a straightforward example...the head of Nestle or Exxon were the head of a country who couldn't be prosecuted? He'd be a right proper asshole. The Catholic Church learned this trick a long time ago and it's a doozy.

The church will die, given time. I mean...the nice thing about the Catholic church having it's own country is that it allows them to do some really fantastically illegal things and get straight away with it.

Can you think what would happen if someone like...oh, here's a straightforward example...the head of Nestle or Exxon were the head of a country who couldn't be prosecuted? He'd be a right proper asshole. The Catholic Church learned this trick a long time ago and it's a doozy.

We can only hope!

... Follow through on the UNs arrest warrant for Kissenger to be tried and executed as a war criminal first.

It's simple. If the pope is causing an obstruction of justice, then he needs to be prosecuted. Just because someone is of high authority does not free them of such a charge.

I am in no position to make a judgement call on this situation because I don't know the details of the story enough. However, from what I have gathered it seems like the pope is trying to block or cover up the actions of people below him. If that is the case, and the others are found guilty, he needs to be charged.

Isn't that sort of the whole problem. I don't think it reasonable to say "Well a lot of people are involved so...let's just forget about it and give them a verbal spanking"

I'm conflicted about that issue, I've gotten into many arguments over it (I was a Episcopalian/baptist at a point in time and the others people generally being catholic) I know you're not supposed to endorse something like sex which is prohibited until marriage but I think it's ignorant to tell a whole country to basically "Go fuck yourselves literally" and curse a whole continent with death.

Last edited:
Really? Americans are herding Catholics on to trains to death camps to work or gas them to death?

They really want to compare the sentiment that lead to the mass murder of millions to news papers casting the public eye on sexual abuse scandals?

Er, antisemitism can and has occurred without concentration camps and a Nazi regime. Historically, Jews were persecuted long before Hitler came around; often with newspapers and articles citing the evils of their deeds and providing arguments against their religion and their traditions (and how those traditions made them a lesser race/evil/money grubbing/stupid/beneath everyone etc.). In which case, the comparison isn't entirely out of the ball park.

Last edited:
Reactions: the
Er, antisemitism can and has occurred without concentration camps and a Nazi regime. Historically, Jews were persecuted long before Hitler came around; often with newspapers and articles citing the evils of their deeds and providing arguments against their religion and their traditions (and how those traditions made them a lesser race/evil/money grubbing/stupid/beneath everyone etc.). In which case, the comparison isn't entirely out of the ball park.

If they had been that specific, I would bite, but they cited anti-semetism in general. What is the worst atrocity that Catholics have ever faced? Was it anywhere near that which the Jews faced during the Holocaust?