Should the Pope face prosectution? | INFJ Forum

Should the Pope face prosectution?

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by Satya, Apr 11, 2010.

Share This Page

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 3 users.
More threads by Satya
  1. Satya

Satya C'est la vie
    Retired Staff

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INXP
    http://rawstory.com/rs/2010/0410/judge-calls-prosecution-pope-benedict/

2. sumone

sumone down the rabbit hole

Threads:
    MBTI:
    infj
    As head of state he can't be prosecuted. The RCC would crumble if everyone who protected the predators were prosecuted.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. enfp can be shy

enfp can be shy people vs the bad people?
    Donor

Threads:
    MBTI:
    enfp
    Enneagram:
    -
    The solution to this issue is not prosecution (please fix title) anyway. But the church environment indeed seems to stimulate such acts, so the church must go asap. I don't mean religion in general, but the church institution. Religion would take more time and is up to personal decision.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. sassafras

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    I think the Church needs an upgrade. Get rid of the celibacy and the 12th century attitudes about birth control for starters, amongst a handful other other, minor details...

As for the scandals, launching a full throttle investigation into the perpetrators is a MUST; make them face criminal justice, showing zero tolerance.

#4 sassafras, Apr 11, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  5. Grey Wolf

Grey Wolf Airborne all the way!

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    no idea
    feth yeah!

should bring back the inquisition too :m200: except their job would be internal. that would be cool

6. Deathjam

Deathjam ooooh
    Staff Member Tech Admin

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    ENTP
    yes i think so,

bolded a part in this article, that should answer that

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/faith/article7094310.ece

if this actually happens the respect for my countries legal system would definitely go up somewhat.

7. randomsomeone

randomsomeone Well-known member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Celibacy will likely stay in place and I doubt the Pope will be prosecuted (or whatever). I fact, the only changes I can coming of all this (short term) is a different rangement between the Church and civil authorities and probably (I hope) a lessening of the preoccupation with clerical dominance. Officially the Church has been articulating this (and pushing for this) for decades but from what I can tell the people themselves (and local leaders in some cases) need to seriously develop some new skills.

8. the

the Si master race.
    Banned

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    ISTJ
    Enneagram:
    9w1
  9. OP
    Satya

Satya C'est la vie
    Retired Staff

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INXP
    Really? Americans are herding Catholics on to trains to death camps to work or gas them to death?

They really want to compare the sentiment that lead to the mass murder of millions to news papers casting the public eye on sexual abuse scandals?

Ecton likes this.
  10. Blind Bandit

Blind Bandit Blind Man Being Lead to Nowhere
    Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    I'm going to re frame from posting anymore than this. Because honestly I would be glad to to RCC go away along with the rest of religion. And see humanity stand on its own to feet and actually be accountable for its actions. So I'll just sit this one out....

11. enfp can be shy

enfp can be shy people vs the bad people?
    Donor

Threads:
    MBTI:
    enfp
    Enneagram:
    -
    How does that improve the situation? Do you know that many criminals have learned their inclination, exactly because of such judgmental attitude imposed on them?

12. Chessie

Chessie Community Member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INfJ
    The church will die, given time. I mean...the nice thing about the Catholic church having it's own country is that it allows them to do some really fantastically illegal things and get straight away with it.

Can you think what would happen if someone like...oh, here's a straightforward example...the head of Nestle or Exxon were the head of a country who couldn't be prosecuted? He'd be a right proper asshole. The Catholic Church learned this trick a long time ago and it's a doozy.

13. Blind Bandit

Blind Bandit Blind Man Being Lead to Nowhere
    Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    We can only hope!

14. Shai Gar

Shai Gar Guest

... Follow through on the UNs arrest warrant for Kissenger to be tried and executed as a war criminal first.

15. IndigoSensor

IndigoSensor Product Obtained
    Retired Staff

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    1w2 sx/so/sp
    It's simple. If the pope is causing an obstruction of justice, then he needs to be prosecuted. Just because someone is of high authority does not free them of such a charge.

I am in no position to make a judgement call on this situation because I don't know the details of the story enough. However, from what I have gathered it seems like the pope is trying to block or cover up the actions of people below him. If that is the case, and the others are found guilty, he needs to be charged.

16. Reon

Reon Midnight's Garden

Threads:
    MBTI:
    Questioning?
    Enneagram:
    5w6
    Isn't that sort of the whole problem. I don't think it reasonable to say "Well a lot of people are involved so...let's just forget about it and give them a verbal spanking"

I'm conflicted about that issue, I've gotten into many arguments over it (I was a Episcopalian/baptist at a point in time and the others people generally being catholic) I know you're not supposed to endorse something like sex which is prohibited until marriage but I think it's ignorant to tell a whole country to basically "Go fuck yourselves literally" and curse a whole continent with death.

#16 Reon, Apr 11, 2010
  17. sassafras

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    Er, antisemitism can and has occurred without concentration camps and a Nazi regime. Historically, Jews were persecuted long before Hitler came around; often with newspapers and articles citing the evils of their deeds and providing arguments against their religion and their traditions (and how those traditions made them a lesser race/evil/money grubbing/stupid/beneath everyone etc.). In which case, the comparison isn't entirely out of the ball park.

#17 sassafras, Apr 11, 2010
    the likes this.
  18. OP
    Satya

Satya C'est la vie
    Retired Staff

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INXP
    If they had been that specific, I would bite, but they cited anti-semetism in general. What is the worst atrocity that Catholics have ever faced? Was it anywhere near that which the Jews faced during the Holocaust?

19. Shai Gar

Shai Gar Guest

they were massacred en mass by liz

20. Barnabas

Barnabas Time Lord

Threads:
    MBTI:
    wiblywobly
    Enneagram:
    timeywimey

care to justify this statement with facts