Should the government be able to turn off the internet? | INFJ Forum

Should the government be able to turn off the internet?

Satya

C'est la vie
Retired Staff
May 11, 2008
MBTI
INXP
[youtube]pQSoq7Exhxw&feature=channel_page[/youtube]

Last edited:
Sure, he can turn off americas access to the internet, but that'd destroy americas monopoly on it. Europe would make a new google, someone would make a new youtube and then someone would make a new facebook and we'd restart with european standards instead of american.

much better for the world

I'm concerned about how a European internet would affect my download rate. A necessary evil, but we must keep the US online.

Lol. This has been going around for AGES. Five years ago they talked about doing the same thing, but it won't happen. It goes around and around and around. I could probably find it on Snopes.

But seriously, no. The Internet shouldn't be "Turned off." It might be regulated, but it won't happen completely.

Besides, regulation has already happened. Look up the USA PATRIOT ACT. After 911 emails, phones, and computer security was severely tightened. Certain emails were monitored. Libraries were monitored. People who checked out certain books from libraries or used internet searches for certain topics were monitored. So, it's another conspiracy issue. Things have already changed...we just don't realize it or notice it.

Last edited:
Sad times are ahead for us all if they get their way. Lots of things happen slowly behind closed doors and you never really know what's going to go on until it's already happened.

Last edited:
First, I doubt if it could happen considering the number of ISP's which would have to comply. It's not like just 'flipping a switch' and off goes the internet. Many American ISP companies have subsidiaries in other countries, such as Canada, which would not fall under the juristiction of U.S. law.

Europe would make a new google, someone would make a new youtube and then someone would make a new facebook and we'd restart with european standards instead of american.

I'm concerned about how a European internet would affect my download rate.
And speaking of Canada... like we couldn't offer internet services being so close to the U.S. and with major telecommunications companies like NorTel, Bell and Rogers?:m080:

I can't even imagine how difficult it would be for the US to do this. What affect would it have on the population? Would it bring people together to speak out and up about what they want and don't want out of the government? I wish I could give a definite yes, but I can't. I do think people would be upset, but I can also visualize people seeing it as our government protecting against outside/inner hostilities.

I remember friends and family telling me about the library book, computer, and phone thing. I remember coming back and how different people were. Culture shock is a bad thing when you don't expect it.

If they shut down 4chan, they'd justify it as a paedophile network, and stop the anonymous communication... until everyone went to the japanese one to organise a protest.

no way!of course the government shouldnt have control over the internet!!!!as if they dont have enough control and negetive effects on our private lives!ugh

Of course not! They already have too much control, like what Liv said.

But guys, the tubes are getting clogged! They need to shut it down once in a while to allow the cyber dump trucks to navigate safely and get rid of the clogs.

This actually could be regulated effectively though. Most any US media outlet has to comply with the Emergency Alert System. I could see them enacting this for ISPs too. I'd really rather they didn't. Having "This is a test of the Emergency Alert System, if this had been an actual emergency..." pop up for a couple minutes could be really annoying.

So it's only the US getting knocked offline. I'd be annoyed for a bit, but then I'd realise that the good websites also have hosting in other nations than the US.

So I'd still have access to some google.

American would like freak the fuck out

You can touch are civil liberties, our health care, and our education.

But you can't touch OUR INTERNET!

I think he should because that would prolly be the straw that breaks the camels back.

Their would be revolution in the streets.

It's a good thing they don't sell little cards with "internet minutes" on them;
there may be another shortage caused by the fear of the unknown.
That was meant to be funny, btw.