[PUG] Self-Segregation and Bigotry

WellNoWonder

Peace Through Action
Dec 10, 2009
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Been watching the goings-ons in these threads....

I think that the forum has a tendency to retreat into the INFJ borg if "threatened" with opposing ways of thinking.

That being said...

Do you all think that proclaiming this forum as a safe place for INFJs could be considered a form of self-segregation and bigotry?

My mind + intuition is pointing me in this direction. I have to bathe children soon and I'll come back with my thoughts.

Reactions: INFJesus and acd
This forum is not my world...just a small snippet. I come here to explore and learn more about my MBTI type, that is all. For the rest I have the real world to contend with....there is plenty of silliness there.

The rhetorician would applaud some of the wording in your OP. Awesomeness...bringing the argument to your battleground.

I have pondered the duality of INFJ's

They seek close connection, yet alienate themselves and others
They are normally quite intelligent yet drown in their emotions
They are tolerant, yet judgmental
They are considerate of others yet self serving
They demand 100% honesty yet are among the best liars I have ever encountered, especially with themselves
They can be bossy yet don't like being told what to do.
They think they are special and that world should learn to accept them yet will not recognize the world owes them nothing and will not accept the World.
They try to fit everything into a context when no context exists other than it is what is.
They believe Ni is a magic power.

I could go on, but then they might think I don't like them.

I am here because they are simply some of the most awesome people I have had the pleasure of interacting with.
I am sure I have learned more from them about being "human" than anyone else.. except they fancy themselves as non humans
so the duality continues..

I love INFJs .. because I love contrast

Reactions: ZcM4xzkjgzCjytBc
No place is safe. I figured that out a long time ago, and I am much happier for it.

The rhetorician would applaud some of the wording in your OP. Awesomeness...bringing the argument to your battleground.

!!!!!

I think the lack of replies in this thread is pretty funny.
That slight scent of burnt hair that you may detect, is the smell of cognitive dissonance...

I think the lack of replies in this thread is pretty funny.
That slight scent of burnt hair that you may detect, is the smell of cognitive dissonance...
Is that why I am going bald? Hmmpf..and I thought it was heredity.

Last edited:
Well then I shall speak upon this at the risk of offending delicate sensibilities.

I think it is important that we are offended from time to time in order to provoke self-evaluation. I know that sounds really harsh. It may be because I've had a harsh life.

segregation and bigotry are ugly words in history (and present but I don't think people can honestly deal with this right now so I'll wait...)

No one wants to touch them.

Though the forum may think it is protecting itself, and doing such with a collective spirit. In all honesty, it reeks of elitism.

Of course we feel things more deeply, use our emotions more than others. Does that mean we do not have to use logic?

And what if self-segregation spills over into other parts of our lives offline? This person doesn't think like me. doorslam. This person doesn't have the same emotions as me. doorslam. then slide on down the slippery slope. It's a possibility. To me, that is dangerous..meh..

Reactions: corvidae and BenW
I like a little dissension and anarchy myself. I'm a pretty contrary person by nature so I don't think i'd be inclined to fall into anything groupthink borgish hugfest any time soon. when things get too cuddly and self congratulatory, I get wary. I think everyone means well, though. And for those of us who come here for solace find it challenging when someone starts ripping at things just for the sake of it. I can understand that, I suppose. I'm too apathetic to have any insight, I think. *shrug*

RESPECT from ALL types should be exercised.

That being said...learning to pick and choose your opinions on conversations, posts and threads is a great skill to learn and it also serves well in the real world situations where you meet all kinds of types and behaviors and not everyone is going to make you feel good.

These discussions reminds me again of Von Hase's thread "These are the INFJ Forums"
http://forum.infjs.com/showthread.php?t=5167&highlight=infj+forum

Well then I shall speak upon this at the risk of offending delicate sensibilities.

I think it is important that we are offended from time to time in order to provoke self-evaluation. I know that sounds really harsh. It may be because I've had a harsh life.

segregation and bigotry are ugly words in history (and present but I don't think people can honestly deal with this right now so I'll wait...)

No one wants to touch them.

Though the forum may think it is protecting itself, and doing such with a collective spirit. In all honesty, it reeks of elitism.

Of course we feel things more deeply, use our emotions more than others. Does that mean we do not have to use logic?

And what if self-segregation spills over into other parts of our lives offline? This person doesn't think like me. doorslam. This person doesn't have the same emotions as me. doorslam. then slide on down the slippery slope. It's a possibility. To me, that is dangerous..meh..

Elitism of what?

Been watching the goings-ons in these threads....

I think that the forum has a tendency to retreat into the INFJ borg if "threatened" with opposing ways of thinking.

That being said...

Do you all think that proclaiming this forum as a safe place for INFJs could be considered a form of self-segregation and bigotry?

No, creating a place which is safe for INFJs, a type which is in a minority in the outer world, and defending it as such is a perfectly valid thing to do. This is your place; all others are visitors and it somewhat baffles me why anyone would join an INFJ forum who wasn't curious about, or enjoyed the company of, INFJs in the first place.

Debate is good and an excellent pastime on a forum, but all in all, it's important to assert yourselves and tell off anyone who really threatens you here, because you're here to mingle with each other, not me, and not any of the other Ts, or Ps, or Ss or Es. One of the main reasons I joined INTPf was because of the eerie sense of seeing myself in the posts of others and because I had found a place where people got my jokes and echoed my views and treated me as an intellectual equal... for a long time prior to that I'd just been a kid (to most adults), or that bookish girl (to my peers) or the 'good but shy' student (to my teachers). It was a shock to find myself among my own kind, a place where I was 'one of us'.

This is your place. Guard it.

I can help. :mjedivr: I'm a good guard. :m029:

Reactions: NeverAmI
What guarantee does anybody have that anybody here is an INFJ in the 1st place?

We are not tested by practicing cognitive therapists before being allowed to join.

I could simply say "I am an INFJ" and that would make me one about as much as it more or less makes anybody one.

Last edited:
The most important learning often comes when we push our boundaries, step out of our safe zone, take some flack, and become somewhat threatened.

At the same time, I have no patience for people that come here only to disrupt/upset. Rarely does that happen, but when it does it gets me all pissy.

In all honesty, I kinda like it when things aren't going super great around here; it gets boring. When new/somewhat-disruptive people stop in, it gets my mind racing (assuming it isn't malicious disruption).

Reactions: NeverAmI
No, creating a place which is safe for INFJs, a type which is in a minority in the outer world, and defending it as such is a perfectly valid thing to do. This is your place; all others are visitors and it somewhat baffles me why anyone would join an INFJ forum who wasn't curious about, or enjoyed the company of, INFJs in the first place.

Debate is good and an excellent pastime on a forum, but all in all, it's important to assert yourselves and tell off anyone who really threatens you here, because you're here to mingle with each other, not me, and not any of the other Ts, or Ps, or Ss or Es. One of the main reasons I joined INTPf was because of the eerie sense of seeing myself in the posts of others and because I had found a place where people got my jokes and echoed my views and treated me as an intellectual equal... for a long time prior to that I'd just been a kid (to most adults), or that bookish girl (to my peers) or the 'good but shy' student (to my teachers). It was a shock to find myself among my own kind, a place where I was 'one of us'.

This is your place. Guard it.

I can help. :mjedivr: I'm a good guard. :m029:

I am not a visitor. I am a member. it says so right in my inventory.
And..... what exactly are we defending ourselves from??

And when you speak of your own kind, surely you mean humankind.... right?

Define "safe".

No, it's your "safe", so you have to define it; whatever it is, you're entitled to it here.

Like, say in INTPf, we used to greet people by holding gladatorial fights, of sorts, in their intro threads. The custom has died out, but intro threads often do still devolve into carnage, often involving the newbie. This is our 'safe', in that we can use and revel in our own particular brand of black, twisted humor and fun without being told we're sick, or having to fear that we've offended anyone. Heck, we made a joke thread out of pretending to be insulted, (it's ancient, btw, so don't go joining, reviving it, and saying sagewolf told you to, please).

If anyone else gets offended by any of that on our forum, then that's regrettable, but it's our place, and we are entitled to our humor and our entertainment. No-one else has to approve of it. That's what I meant when I said safe.

I am not a visitor. I am a member. it says so right in my inventory.
And..... what exactly are we defending ourselves from??

Not yourselves, the safety and integrity of this place, which was created as a haven for INFJs. And I didn't mean to imply that visitors were a lower class of forum member: only that in the end, what we get out of this forum probably isn't the same thing as what INFJs get, and above all, we don't have any right to make them feel uncomfortable here (not that I'm suggesting you do, I'm generalising here). When I said my own kind, I meant people who thought and felt in a way which was almost uncomfortably close to the way I felt. ...INTPs, generally, with a smattering of other types who also enjoyed the unique atmosphere we created.

Last edited:
No, it's your "safe", so you have to define it; whatever it is, you're entitled to it here.
O RLY? Is it?

Well then, I'd have to say my defition doesn't involve any of the typecasting crap you're talking about, bro.
Everyone should be equally welcome here, regardless of the imaginary four letter acronym they got on a silly test concocted by nutcases several decades ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: INFJesus