Scopolamine a.k.a. "Devil's Breath": Colombian Drug Suspends 'Free Will' | INFJ Forum

Scopolamine a.k.a. "Devil's Breath": Colombian Drug Suspends 'Free Will'

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Rakawi, Apr 10, 2010.

Share This Page

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 1 user.
More threads by Rakawi
  1. Rakawi

Rakawi Community Member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Here's a link to the complete article at CNN.

Yikes. Anyone know the origins of this drug or where it's in circulation? This is the first I'm hearing of this and frankly, it's disturbing. As if we don't have enough horrors in the world.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Riven

Riven Regular Poster

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INTJ
    I watch both parts of the report and to be honest the drug doesn’t bother me very much. There are lots of drugs, chemicals, planets whatever that put you into a state where you can be taken advantage of. What disturbs me are the people using it –especially the very last guy they interviewed but all of them completely lacked any sense of respect for their fellow humans. Even if the drugs didn’t exist people like that are still extremely dangerous, the drugs just make committing crimes easier.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. muir

Banned

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    The dealer was called 'Demencia'....is it april fools day?

My first thought is that it could be the drug Doctor Jekyll takes which turns him into Mr Hyde!

4. Barnabas

Barnabas Time Lord

Threads:
    MBTI:
    wiblywobly
    Enneagram:
    timeywimey
    I'm glad i'm not the only one who caught that.

5. Kavalan

Kavalan Has risen

Threads:
    MBTI:
    ISTJ
    Enneagram:
    1W9
    It's used in motion sickness patches and pills. I believe IS had an OD experience of this at one point. In short any compound can be abused, welcome to the world not everyone eat rainbows and craps butterflies.

#5 Kavalan, Apr 11, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  6. IndigoSensor

IndigoSensor Product Obtained
    Retired Staff

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    1w2 sx/so/sp
    I did OD on this once, from said sea sick patches. I helped others put them on, and I failed to wash my hands after touching it. It absorbs into your skin and is extremely potent, not to mention I had a patch on myself, that I moved around because it itched (it attrubted to the medicine entering my system too much too fast, as it is meant to be time relased).

Even from this teeny amount, it was rather unplesent. My mouth was horribly dry and I could not quench thirst no matter what. Dry mouth is very unconfortable for me, and this was DRY. Things felt really "detached", and when we were out on the boat I saw a few things, including what looked to be a scubadiver swimming on the surface with these funny looking paddles. I remember this day, but its a very "loose" memory that is hard to describe.

People actually will use scopolamine as a recrational drug at times, but it is widely disliked because of the unconfortable physical effects. It is commonly taken from the datura flower, and is very easily od'ed on, which will result in death.

7. Kavalan

Kavalan Has risen

Threads:
    MBTI:
    ISTJ
    Enneagram:
    1W9
    Yea couldn't remember if this was it. It sounded unusually familiar. Hope I didn't put you one the spot.

8. IndigoSensor

IndigoSensor Product Obtained
    Retired Staff

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    1w2 sx/so/sp
    Nah ur fine. If I didn't want to talk about it, I would have ignored it :becky:.

9. enfp can be shy

enfp can be shy people vs the bad people?
    Donor

Threads:
    MBTI:
    enfp
    Enneagram:
    -
    That's not a decisive tool about 'free will' anyway, but people are still quite scared to realize how manipulated they already are. /i don't exclude myself; anybody/ Who really needs mechanic or organic mind manipulation, when there're so many more effective ways with culture. The efficiency should be measured by how elusive the method is.

#9 enfp can be shy, Apr 11, 2010
  10. corvidae

corvidae ohai internets
    Donor

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INTJ
    Enneagram:
    ?
    Scopolamine is similar a super-high dose of benadryl. The article doesn't say much, but I can say from experience that recreational doses of benadryl are NOT fun. People pretty much lose your ability to tell reality from delusion. People commonly feel spiders crawling in their skin, and have conversations with nonexistent people.

Anticholinergic drugs like benadryl and scopolamine are useful in small doses for nausea and allergies. But at high doses you pretty much become delusional, and not in a fun way. With many drugs you can tell yourself, "this is just a bad trip, I'll survive." With anticholinergics, you don't realize how impaired you are.

11. Riven

Riven Regular Poster

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INTJ
    It's actually a summary of a documentary that can be found here
    http://www.vbs.tv/newsroom/colombian-devil-s-breath-1-of-2--5
    (Note: Contains strong language, nudity, and disturbing content. Not a vid for minors)

Edit: Not sure if the link is allowed or not any Mods out there?

#11 Riven, Apr 11, 2010
  12. bamf

bamf Is Watching You
    Retired Staff

Threads:
    MBTI:
    Meh
    Enneagram:
    Meh
    Yeah, and half the time you don't even realize you are impaired. I knew a guy who took datura, and three days later he woke up in a different town with no recollection of the weekend. Scary stuff to mess with.

13. arbygil

arbygil Passing through

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    9w1
    That's super creepy...and seems highly potent. It looks like it could be easy to ingest without realizing it.

No, you're fine. :) You have enough posts - go ahead and post away. Besides, this is relevant & great info.

14. OP
    Rakawi

Rakawi Community Member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    With the aid of Wiki...

Scopolamine, also known as levo-duboisine, and hyoscine...

15. Jack

Jack Community Member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    ENTP
    Sounds like a kind of oral hypnosis.

16. RecklessDreamer

RecklessDreamer Permanent Fixture

Threads:
    MBTI:
    IDFK
    Enneagram:
    Sounds super trippy.