Racism | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Racism

My issue has nothing to do with material gains, my problem is the fact that it seems difficult (with some people, even impossible) to get acknowledgment that white people can suffer racism too.

I hear you and support you. I've traveled the world, been to Asia, Africa, America and was very surprised to find myself being discriminated in US - the most tolerant country of them all. By black people. It was not a single accident and in no provocation from my side.

So racism has no color.

More to the topic of OP. I think there's something wrong with current politics towards racism as it focuses on making life harder for those who are presumably dominant. So if you're a straight white male then your application for a job will be considered the last.

We should celebrate and enjoy our differences because of the different ways we all can contribute to the society. Not hinder each other down.

I hear you and support you. I've traveled the world, been to Asia, Africa, America and was very surprised to find myself being discriminated in US - the most tolerant country of them all. By black people. It was not a single accident and in no provocation from my side.

So racism has no color.

More to the topic of OP. I think there's something wrong with current politics towards racism as it focuses on making life harder for those who are presumably dominant. So if you're a straight white male then your application for a job will be considered the last.

We should celebrate and enjoy our differences because of the different ways we all can contribute to the society. Not hinder each other down.

I dont agree with this at all. Not at all. I still look around and see a misrepresentation of White men in positions of power. What I mean is that White men have so many more opportunities than other people.

I dont agree with this at all. Not at all. I still look around and see a misrepresentation of White men in positions of power. What I mean is that White men have so many more opportunities than other people.

And what does that prove? That colored people have smaller brains? That there exists some secret organization which prevents them from acquiring positions of power? That each and every white person is a racist?

The human psychology is built in such a way that anger arouses anger on the other side. Calling each other racists only escalates it. If people really wanted to end discrimination they should form a passive resistance movement - similar to one by Ghandi. The way it was done by Martin Luther King. It's the only long term solution.

That's why, similar to Skoffin, I refuse to take active measures against discrimination. I do not hunt for the guilty and do not victimize the oppressed. I just try be to the best I can towards other people and treat them fairly on individual basis.

Last edited:
And what does that prove? That colored people have smaller brains? That there exists some secret organization which prevents them from acquiring positions of power? That each and every white person is a racist?

The human psychology is built in such a way that anger arouses anger on the other side. Calling each other racists only escalates it. If people really wanted to end discrimination they should form a passive resistance movement - similar to one by Ghandi. The way it was done by Martin Luther King. It's the only long term solution.

That's why, similar to Skoffin, I refuse to take active measures against discrimination. I do not hunt for the guilty and do not victimize the oppressed. I just try be to the best I can towards other people and treat them fairly on individual basis.

They do not have access to the same opportunities that would enable them to succeed this is the difference. If you look at a poor inner city school. Look at the equipment, programs and what they have to use. Compare this to an affluent school system and what they have. These opportunities make a huge difference in children. They dont have smaller brains they have less opportunities.

There is a big difference.

Wow, vicious. I've seen all the arguments here.

I have something to say about racism: it cannot be discussed. Look around in this thread. Everyone has a viewpoint and they each spew hate (yes hate: don't try to downplay it) at those who disagree with them. They will not allow any interpretation of data other than their own. The pure irrational anger and resentment that rules this 'debate' is incredible. Everyone reverts to Us vs. Them. And 'They' must be destroyed. Even if the destruction is only verbal.

Thanks. This definitely has reminded me of why there is in fact no hope for humanity of any race, sex or belief.

Reactions: Solongo
I apologize if I have spewed hate. It is not my intention at all. I do get angry when people are marginalized. I will certainly think about this. Solar Emapath I appreciate your input. I do think that if we dont talk about these things the hate and anger grow unchecked.

I will try harder next time.

They do not have access to the same opportunities that would enable them to succeed this is the difference. If you look at a poor inner city school. Look at the equipment, programs and what they have to use. Compare this to an affluent school system and what they have. These opportunities make a huge difference in children. They dont have smaller brains they have less opportunities.

There is a big difference.

All and only black people live in inner city areas and thus it's racist, rather than socioeconomical?

Agreed

All and only black people live in inner city areas and thus it's racist, rather than socioeconomical?

Not all and only. There is a disproportionate representation that points to possible racism that is still in society.

Same as a disproportionate representation of white children in affluent areas. There is a great article in education about unpacking your backback. It uses this as a metaphor to how white people have more opportunites. They have more "tools in their backback." These things help them to succeed. I will go and look for the article online to see if I can find it.

It is not solely socioeconomical but that certainly contributes to it.

I shall go and look.

I am having trouble opening the link. I dont know if it is my computer or not. The title of the article is

"White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Backpack." by Peggy McIntosh

The article is online I think you will be able to find it if the link does not work for you.

I apologize if I have spewed hate. It is not my intention at all. I do get angry when people are marginalized. I will certainly think about this. Solar Emapath I appreciate your input. I do think that if we dont talk about these things the hate and anger grow unchecked.

I will try harder next time.
I know. You are a good person. I wasn't targeting anyone specifically. Racism of this type can't be discussed because it is rooted in personal pain on all sides. We should save the anger for true racists who deliberately try to oppress minorities.

I am neither a good person or bad person. I am a person who tries to make good causes and take good actions. My actions define me not inherent goodness.

We all have that inherent goodness. It is how much we are clouded my our negativity.

Racism of this type can't be discussed because it is rooted in personal pain on all sides. We should save the anger for true racists who deliberately try to oppress minorities.
I respectfully disagree, completely. In not discussing something, we accept it. It's all about power struggle and the ones who have to free the oppressed are the oppressed. Speaking about it, even if it gets everyones knickers in a knot, brings issues to light.

I disregard racism out of hand, and often look for causes behind stereotypes and solutions to causes.

The problem, actually, is that there are different arguments from different perspectives in this thread. One side is coming at it from one country's perspective, and the other side is coming at the issue from another country's perspective. We can't discuss race and race relations if we're coming at it from a different perspective of our peers.

To those who have not had the experience of growing up in the United States: You cannot presume to know what it's like to live in the US. To those who have not had the experience of growing up as an ethnic minority in another country: You cannot presume to know what it's like to live in that country.

I can only come by my experiences as an African American woman living in the United States and from *that* perspective, yes. We *have* needed special circumstances and special help to get started because we've had over 200 years of back-breaking oppression that stopped us from even getting our foot in the door. 200 years is a long, long time and I suspect that it might take 200 more years to get some of the "stinkin' thinkin'" out of the minds of the majority. We have needed help, and we still do - but we also need to balance the help we've received with our own strength and power to succeed.

The key word here is EQUALITY. If things are not equal, then you will have issues on both sides. Someone will feel disenfranchised. Now mind you, sometimes equality comes at a price; sometimes those who have had power and have had control for some years will feel slighted because suddenly some of that power and control has to be shared with folks they haven't shared it with before. And that causes tension. And on the other side, those who haven't had much have to learn not to go out of their way to make the other side feel guilty, put out, and put upon. AND those who feel guilty about reparations should ask themselves why they feel guilty, and maybe try to bridge the gap by dialoguing with those who have not had much in a peaceful manner (understanding where the other side's coming from, in other words).

Race relations and relationships and dialogues are hot topics. If you can't see both sides of the issue and are willing to *listen* to both sides and think about what each side is saying, it's best not to get into the discussion. It's not that you can't get into it; it just means that you have to be willing to get hurt and feel hurt and yet still have the courage to talk to someone else without acting out of your own hurts.

Last edited:
Reactions: sookie
Every group experiences racism. For some groups it may be more or less overt, but every group does indeed experience racism. Even in some homogeneous societies around the world people are racist to an extent, by tracing ancestry lines.

I assure you Arby, if I had more power than others, I'd have long since used it for genocidal purposes.

I disregard racism out of hand, and often look for causes behind stereotypes and solutions to causes.

That is interesting. It is admirable to look for the causes. I also wonder if we misinterpret cultural differences and use these differences to label people.

I assure you Arby, if I had more power than others, I'd have long since used it for genocidal purposes.

Heh. I know.

But you do have power; you might not know it, but you do. If you came to live in the United States [yes, I can hear you laughing your head off now] you might have even more power than say an African American male who has lived in the US all his life. People will fawn over your accent, and they'll *want* you to work in their stores because you'll create a "posh" atmosphere [yeah, I know, keep laughing].

But that is the truth, sadly. In fact, you might even get a job over any other American. We judge on appearances that way.